Working out when sore/stiff

Options
LemonLizard
LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I'm pretty new to this, and don't want to get burned out. My legs feel incredibly stiff behind my knees, only from using the elliptical. I just want to know if it would be good to push through this, and do the workout today, or if pushing through it will make it harder to work out next time.

Today is the last day of the week for working out for me, so I feel like it would be bad not to do it, but I don't want to kill my legs.

Leaning more towards just doing it anyway, just to say I did!

Replies

• KristiCastro27
    KristiCastro27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat today, I always air on the side of doing it anyways, but doing a condensed version of what you have been doing. I find that when I do the same exercise again, it helps loosen things up for me. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend "easing" into fitness rather than going form doing pretty much nothing to all out balls to the wall workingout 6-7 days per week. It's a recipe for injury. For the most part, you don't really need rest days from things like the elliptical and what not...but early on, it's probably not a bad idea to cut yourself some slack.

When I got back into fitness I only went 3x weekly...one of those days was a run/walk and the other two were just walking. I slowly built up to the point where I was running each of those three days and walking on the days in between..a year later I have no problem taking a 3 mile maintenance run in the morning or afternoon and then heading out on my bike for 15- 20 miles later in the evening and getting up and doing it all over again in the morning...but buiding up your fitness takes time.
  • andrewj87
    Options
    What kind of workout do you have planned for today? Personally, if you're not doing something that involves a lot of leg work again then I'd say go for it or at least take it down a bit and don't injure yourself in the process.

Whenever I workout with soar muscles to the point that it's uncomfortable to move, I realize I'm half-assing some movements a bit of the time - no good.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching pre and post workout?
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Unless I HURT, I push through it. Once I get going, if it's just muscle soreness or something, it usually goes away or lessens. I have bad joints though, so if it's something like that, I'll take a day off. The key is to know your personal limits.
  • weavemyway
    weavemyway Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep the legs moving, but don't push it. I was really sore after my kickball game last Sunday, but going for a run on Tuesday (when I was most sore) helped the pain, and it was gone by the time I was done with my run on Wednesday. At least get a walk in on the treadmill or outside. You don't gotta go nuts, just use them. And yes, make sure you stretch post-workout, after you're warm.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! After a tough set of one-legged deadlifts on Wednesday night I can barely walk today! LOL I have a running date at 8am tomorrow so I'm wondering if I should just take it easy today and go all out tomorrow on my run or go to the gym and do something light like the elliptical or arctrainer rather than the weighlifting I had planned on doing.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do something else stiffness in the knee is usually a sign of pending injury I speak from experience , do some weight training
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I first started using the elliptical. I was really tight after working out all of the time, especially in my calf muscles. I figured I would try to work out through it. What is the worst that can happen? Right? Well...I ended up ripping a ham string and twisting my knee. I was out of commision for at least two weeks with a torn meniscus and a ripped hammy. Now, I stretch before and after working out. If you are not stretching properly, you will injure yourself.
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'll do some weight training and smaller exercises today, picking up with the leg workouts on Monday.

I do think I need to learn to stretch better though, I usually just kind of, half-attempt them.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It depends what sort of stiffness/pain/discomfort you're experiencing.If it's stiffness in the muscle behind the knees,stretching and a leisurely walk usually loosens that up for me. Sometimes, I'm so stiff and sore I can barely move,but I find that working out anyway takes away my soreness. Make sure you're well hydrated and getting enough protein. However, if what your feeling is more like you have damaged something, a popping feeling, painful pressure,or IN your knee, I would rest or work upper body for the day. :smile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    It's a balancing act. On the one hand you absolutely, positively, should not work out injured. Rest for as long as it takes to heal, then add a week.

On the other hand, if it's just DOMS, then get 48 hours rest and then get back to it. If you wait for DOMS to go away completely before working out again, they will always be as bad. But if you give it 48 hours rest, and then go into the next session still a little sore you will find two things happen -

1. The workout helps the DOMS to go away.
    2. The DOMS will not be as bad next time.

I also agree that you should gradually build your activity level, to minimize chance of injury. Personally, my build up looked like this over the course of a year -

1. Walking 15 minutes everyday, building up to 30 minutes.
    2. Started C25k program 3 days a week, with gentle walking on the days in between.
    3. Adding a machine weights program onto the days between C25k. Rest on Sundays
    4. Graduated C25k, started running 5k M,W,F while still doing machine weights Tu, Th, S. Rest on Sundays.
    5. Graduated from machine weights to free weights. Now running 5k M, W, F and doing Strong Lifts Tu, Th, S. Rest on Sundays.
    6. Started increasing my running. 10k on Mon, Intervals on Wed, tempo run on Fri. Strong Lifts Tu, Th, S. Rest on Sundays.

Even with this gradual ramp up, I still had a minor injury to my IT band once, and to my back once. Both of which put me out of action for two or three weeks. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't gradually worked my way into it.
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    Push thru - it will help the pain and stiffness, if it's from muscle pain, that is
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend working out stiff. Just throw a towel over it until it goes down some and isn't noticeable.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    So I'm pretty new to this, and don't want to get burned out. My legs feel incredibly stiff behind my knees, only from using the elliptical. I just want to know if it would be good to push through this, and do the workout today, or if pushing through it will make it harder to work out next time.

Today is the last day of the week for working out for me, so I feel like it would be bad not to do it, but I don't want to kill my legs.

Leaning more towards just doing it anyway, just to say I did!

It's hard to give advice without knowing your workout plan for the day or how long you have been working out. But in general, if it is only soreness or stiffness, you should perform dynamic stretches before your workout to loosen the muscles. Then during your workout you should go based on how you feel; if your workout is causing you serious pain, STOP IMMEDIATELY! If you feel better and looser as you workout, perfect, you are pushing yourself!

I want to again stress dynamic stretches before you workout. If you find the stretches too painful, it usually means you overworked your muscles and you shouldn't continue with your planned workout. This is all assuming you are going to be working out the same muscle groups. If you are doing completely different muscle groups, like arms or shoulders for example, then it doesn't matter how your legs feel.

Always listen to your body...it's not worth doing a workout just to do it, only to injure yourself and miss even more workouts later.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    This is why you switch up body parts from day to day, and also take 1 to 2 rest days per week. You didn't get out of shape overnight and you're not gonna get IN shape overnight. I see too many people start strong and overdo it, and then quit out of frustration or injury. Slow and steady wins the race...and make sure you're STRETCHING!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If my muscles are sore, I push through it. If my joints hurt, I back off of exercising that body part that day.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Scivation Extend is a great drink to drink it stops soreness.
    You sound like you are getting sore hamstrings. Do some good hamstring stretches after the workout to cool down, and maybe do a pilates or yoga class once a week to improve your flexibility.
    Don't stop as you will work the lactic acid out of your muscles by doing another workout.
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do think I need to learn to stretch better though, I usually just kind of, half-attempt them.

stretching is my favorite part of my workouts! lol i seriously love to stretch. it feels amazing and really loosens you up for a good workout. i probably spend about 10 minutes just stretching (before AND after). i would definitely recommend you stretch more! :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that there is no consensus on whether stretching helps. Some studies show that it helps, some show that it makes no difference, some show that it makes injury more likely (that last thing probably due to people believing they're magically immune to injury if only they stretch).
This discussion has been closed.