First time user

Options
Hi, today is the day i am starting to gather information before i actually start on Monday. I am trying to read up on everything that was sent to me, it seems so overwhelming. I lost my husband last October and his one year is coming up it has been a big struggle since i use food to comfort myself. I have alot to lose and feel now is the time, he would be proud of me but at the same time disappointed that i had gained so much weight. I need to start off right, any pointers? I do not sleep much, I know that is a problem of mine too, I have so use to getting up a 3:30am for the past 35 years to get ready for work, but now i am newly retired and need to turn my focus on getting healthy and sleeping a bit more. :smile:

Replies

• pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

First off, I'm so sorry about your loss. I understand using food for comfort, I want to bury my face in a box of ice cream or a bag of chips anytime something bad comes up.

For starters, I'd suggest logging your food on here daily. Just seeing the numbers add up and really looking at what you're eating can be a huge eye-opener. From there, just take small steps! The whole point is to get that calorie deficit going so you can lose the pounds, but don't overwhelm yourself with tiny meals and huge workouts. Even the smallest steps can make a big impact!
  • Yvonnie42
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I am going to start the log in now and see if there is major damage today :( If i am busy i do not think of food, if i am not then the food calls.. ugh.. i was actually going to start Monday after reading all of the logs, then cleaning out my fridge and cabinets.. oh my kids are gonna love the bags of food i will bring them! I did go to Trader Joes and Target for some of the food items. I am hoping i will like the almond milk.. do you know why the almond milk is better than the non-fat or skim milk?
  • BetinaBee
    Options
    Hi Yvonne42

Welcome to MFP. Congratulation on deciding to start afresh. I find the food diary and calories counter really useful. Especially the food diary - just search for what you ate and add it. Next time just tick your usual food. Keeping track is a good way to stop eating that extra snack or two.

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • Bess222
    Bess222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started (again) too!! So sorry for your loss, such a life changing event to go through. I've struggled with weight issues for all of my life. 3 years ago i got divorced and was able to focus on myself for the first time in years! I lost aprox 50 pounds by walking and watching my diet! It was wonderful but..due to stress and life events I stopped focusing on myself and the pounds crept back on! Went to my doc and I've gained almost 30lbs again! Today I started the process to reverse that and feel really good about it. It will take time and effort but my health is worth it, I'm worth it and SO ARE YOU!!
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So sorry to hear about your loss. Congratulations on taking the first step to a healthier life style. I'm sending you a friend request.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As some of the others have said, logging your food every day (and ALL of your food) is really the key. It was really eye opening to me how many calories are in some of the things I eat! Portion sizes are important too...but don't think that you need to make huge drastic changes - it's all about moderation. For example, if you love icecream, then figure out a way to include it in your calorie intake once in awhile. Good luck and welcome!