how does your progress really SINK IN for you

Options
When i started trying to lose weight a few months ago, i didn't have a scale in my home, But i did weigh at a friends house regularly. I also took some "before" pics and measured. Now I'm down 21 lbs but looking in the mirror i don't see the changes my friends are raving about, i see SOME difference of course, but comparing pics helps with perspective since i see myself everyday lol. Alot of ppl go by how their clothes fit but since most of my clothing is loose fitting i can't rely too much on this, but i see it. What really amazes me is the measuring tape! And mind you the same thing that happens with mirror kinda happens there too (i measure ALL THE TIME LOL) but i only log it every so often. I just compared my beginning measurements and almost screamed! Lol for some reason i didn't realize i had gone down so much around my belly. I was using my nacel as a marker, and this area WAS the widest part of my belly but now it's not and I'm down 5 inches there! And another 5 from around my hips (i thought it was only 3 til i checked my notepad!) Which kinds of measurements or other things make u realize ur making real progress? Other things for me is that i now can go 1hr on an eliptical at a decent pace w/o dying (i remember a yr ago going to the gym with a friend and swearing off that machine after 2mins cuz i was out of breath!) Annnnnnnnnd i havent been having as much pain in my knee!

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    When my clothes get loose and smaller sizes fit me. When I make progress with my exercise routine (being able to lift more weight, being able to do an exercise I couldn't do before, etc.).
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I really don't notice until I see a current or old picture. Then it's a big, "wow!" I look at myself every day so the week to week changes aren't that noticeable.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Once I had lost 20 lbs. or so, I carried something that weighed that much up and down the stairs a couple of times to give myself a concrete understanding of the difference the weight loss had made. These days, every time I haul a 50 lb. bag of horse feed, I remind myself that I used to carry more than that ON my body, and I'm never going back!