Trail Runners... unite!

Options
I am now officially addicted to trailrunning and am ditching my road races. Trail Running is really gaining
in popularity ... what races have you done? What's your favorite distance?
Let's start a Trail Runners Group :bigsmile:

Replies

• aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love trail running too! I just did my first marathon and it was a trail run...which honestly was so so so hard, but now that it's over and I have done it I am so proud of myself!!!!! I love that I live in Idaho and I can pretty much trail run every day :)
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I had to switch to trail running because my doctor said pavement was pounding my knees into hamburger. :/ I already have arthritis, and I want to keep running. I love the trail running, don't get me wrong, but it still bugs me a little bit that I can't find a social group. I went for a 5K road run every week with a local running group and we had a beer after. Can't find that kind of group socialization for trails and I miss it.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I run the trails around my home just for fun but haven't yet entered anything official. I'm hopping to be ready for Desert RATS this coming April. its choice 5k, 10k, half, full or ultra marathon. I want to try for the half.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a trail race yet, but I LOVE trail running and run on some mountain biking trails at a nearby park for most of my runs (except when training for a race). Switching to trail running has made me truly enjoy running.
  • ferky1
    ferky1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just had back surgery last Friday but normally do walk trails. Can you please tell me what I need to do and if it is possible to start in a month. Please give me info because I need friends to get back in shape. Thank you
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've done a few - the 'friends of' organizations of the local county parks host a series of trail runs every year. I'm signed up for a 16K in October along with Wisconsin River - hopefully no snow! - but on the bright side there's a soup buffet to follow. I love trail running - I'm slower but the run is so much more interesting!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I run the trails around my home just for fun but haven't yet entered anything official. I'm hopping to be ready for Desert RATS this coming April. its choice 5k, 10k, half, full or ultra marathon. I want to try for the half.
    You will love Desert Rats. I've done the marathon a couple of times and this year I did the marathon on Sat by myself and then the half the next day with my hubby. It is a stunningly beautiful course, and I like the events because they are low-key. Sometimes we go over to Fruita to just run (and ride) in the spring and fall :-)
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Hi! I have signed up for my first trail run in November. It's a 4 miler and I am very excited but I need to get it in gear on training! I'm not a great runner, but I love being outside and the softness of trails.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I normally train all on asphalt paths around lakes on flat ground, but I signed up for a half marathon (mostly because it was sponsored by one of my favorite breweries) that was a trail race. It was last Saturday and I had an awesome time - it was all hills and wooded areas with narrow trails, logs, rocks, and downed trees to jump over/avoid. I ended up running it in 2:10 which was about as fast as my fastest training half before that (this was my first half marathon race - just started running about 8 months ago). I'm glad I brought my phone - here is the elevation change:

hills.jpg
  • linddavis
    Options
    I think we have a group :drinker: clink clink
    I am running out the door now but will be back...
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    trails, check! feel free to add me! i'd love to talk about trail running, as I don't know too many who do it.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ran 8.5K on the trails at Ardagh Bluffs in Barrie this morning -- my first technical trail run (as opposed to the straight, flat Trans-Canada Trail).

Lessons learned:

1. Trail running made me feel like a kid again, running through the woods, playing cowboys and Indians.

2. Trail running is much harder than road running. The 8.5K felt like about 15K on the road. My pedometer says I climbed the equivalent of 89 stories, while my GPS watch says the elevation change was 336 metres. Either way, that's a whole lot of hills.

3. The trail shoes (La Sportiva Wildcat GTX) I bought yesterday were worth every penny. I had to run over rocks, roots, switchbacks, over dead falls, through creeks and across corduroy bridges.

4. I shouldn't worry so much about pace. There were a few times I lost the trail because I didn't slow down at Y junctions and guessed at which way to go. I ended up hopelessly lost at one point.

5. There are few things as discouraging as thinking you're headed the right way only to find out you've been running in the wrong direction for 15 minutes.

6. I'm hooked and can't wait to go again.

1378820_10153296045950174_538552588_n.jpg
  • linddavis
    Options
    I loved reading all the comments, It's exactly like I feel. Being out in nature, away from people , cars, pollution... so much more fun.
    It is definitely slower on the trail but who cares... really. I have seen deer, a ton of cool birds including sandhill cranes, turtles...
    fox, coyote.. much better than people! :noway: haha
    I did my first trail series last Jan, Feb, March, a 5, 8, and 10k... so fun~ now looking for a good race this Fall.
    As far as running after back surgery... yikes, be careful. Better defer to your Doc on that one. Pretty easy to roll an ankle or worse on uneven surfaces. A nice flat bike trail ( former RR tracks) may be a good option? We have a lot in the midwest, not sure about elsewhere?Sparta Elroy Trail in WI is outstanding.

I think Killian Jornet is running a big race this weekend, will try to find it online. He's the man! :bigsmile:

edited to add:
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/09/news/kilian-jornet-racing-in-colorado_84856
  • sarah_cope
    Options
    I absolutely love trail running, hoping to get some done this weekend. I'm doing my first charity 5k this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? :)
    I'm not worried about the distance, just about making sure I pace myself and such.
  • KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's weird...I started getting into a running program just recently, and the ONLY places I've been running is on trails here at the local nature center or on a section of the Ice Age trail that weaves throughout the woods, sand dunes, and lakefront here in Wisconsin. I've actually never ran on pavement or even a gravel road, and I didn't even know there WAS a difference between pavement running and trail running.
    So, I guess I'm a trail runner. :)
    I do have a question, though. Should I be wearing trail running shoes rather than regular running shoes? I'm a pronator, and I'm currently wearing Saucony Omni 12s. It looks like one of the only differences between trail shoes and running shoes are the treads, and I've never had a problem with slipping or anything with my current shoes.
  • linddavis
    Options
    I've tried running in regular running shoes ( Saucony) with Yak Trax in icy/snowy conditions and am buying trail shoes w/ ice screws.
    Yak Traks break with a lot of wear and tear, then you are screwed. At my trail running camp they said the latest shoes have Zero Drop, no height difference between toe and heel... so that you can feel the course.
    I think a flat trail like a RR bed is very different than one that is rocky, muddy, with ruts and such. Rolled ankles are common in the latter. So do your ankle exercises! Spell out the alphabet with each foot while watching TV every night. :) Build up those tendons and ligaments for stability.
  • linddavis
    Options
    Sarah - just have fun. Dont go out fast, save somethin' for hills, and mile 3... that's when you'll pass people :)
    Do you know the course? That helps.
  • linddavis
    Options
    Just started a new group "Trailrunners" I know , original. I wanted to be EZ to find.
    if you friend me I can send you an invite, or click on "Groups" above and search
    Trailrunners... it's a public group.

Then we can have multiple topics rather than one thread. See ya on the trail~
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do have a question, though. Should I be wearing trail running shoes rather than regular running shoes? I'm a pronator, and I'm currently wearing Saucony Omni 12s. It looks like one of the only differences between trail shoes and running shoes are the treads, and I've never had a problem with slipping or anything with my current shoes.
    Kurt, if you are comfortable in your road shoes, just keep wearing them. Trail shoes are different in a few ways. They are usually stiffer, providing lateral stability that road shoes don't (this is what I notice most). Trail shoes also often have a protective toe bumper, which can be a toenail saver in rocky terrain :-) Trail shoes usually have more aggressive tread, but not always. Also, I always go for shoes that have a gussetted tongue; this helps keep debris out of the shoe (as do short gaiters, which I wear sometimes).