In calorie defect,but gaining

Options
Hi,

So I have been tracking everything and I tend to be a little lower than the 1600 calories I am supposed to be eating a day, and I started going to the gym again last week. The issue is that I am gaining weight now and I don't know why I lost 27 pounds but I am gaining it all back on even though I am exercising more and still in defect. I don't know whats going on I was told it could be muscle but I don't think muscle gain is that fast. I tend to weigh myself in the morning when I get up.

Thank you

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When you first start exercising/weight training after a period of sedentary lifestyle, you're body will retain water while it works on muscle repair. Usually lasts a couple weeks, then you should notice that less.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Starting a new workout can cause the scale to show a gain because the muscles retain water to heal themselves. Not a big deal.

It is totally normal for weight to fluctuate on a regular basis. Fuel your body, make sure since you are going to the gym now that you eat more to compensate for the calories burned there. Your daily NET calories should be at, or close to your daily goal.

Also, take your measurements as well as weighing yourself - often the tape measure will show progress while the scale is busy messing with your head. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Open your diary

^^This.

Define "gaining it all back" please. How much in how long.....and yes...it's not muscle.
  • danicathea16
    danicathea16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and its been over the last two weeks now. Since I started going to the gym. I gained about 3 or 4 pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A new exercise regimen will easily cause about 3-5 Lbs of water retention for muscle repair. If you are indeed in a deficit of calories, you cannot gain fat...it is mathematically impossible.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A new exercise regimen will easily cause about 3-5 Lbs of water retention for muscle repair. If you are indeed in a deficit of calories, you cannot gain fat...it is mathematically impossible.

Might be "mathematically impossible"...but real life scientists and doctors see it happen. Might have something to do with it being biology, and not math. It is not fast gains, but it happens.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I had a little look at your diary. Last week you left a LOT of calories on the table (700+) Monday to Friday. Then you didn't log anything at all on Sat. and Sun. Not a bite.

Which is fine and your choice, of course, but it DOES mean that you can't know for sure if you're in an overall deficit. It might be an idea to aim for around your calorie goal (200 either way) to hold off food cravings and also log each and every day for accuracy. Also... weighing is more accurate than tbsps. & cups.

Sorry if that sounds HARSH... and.... stick with it - it'll happen! You'll see. :smile:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I had a little look at your diary. Last week you left a LOT of calories on the table (700+) Monday to Friday. Then you didn't log anything at all on Sat. and Sun. Not a bite.

Which is fine and your choice, of course, but it DOES mean that you can't know for sure if you're in an overall deficit. It might be an idea to aim for around your calorie goal (200 either way) to hold off food cravings and also log each and every day for accuracy. Also... weighing is more accurate than tbsps. & cups.

I have to agree. For the past couple of weeks, your calorie intake is much closer to 1,000 a day (and sometimes less) than it is to 1600. It also appears that you don't log on the weekends. Again, that is totally your choice. But there's no way to know if you're really eating in a deficit if you have no idea what you're consuming on the weekends. If you want to have a cheat day every week, that's also fine, and a lot of people do it. But you may want to continue logging anyway just so you don't have to play any sort of guessing game with yourself.

The scale can show a gain for any number of reasons, but personally, I like to minimize the variables. That means eating as close to my actual calorie goal as possible, logging everything I eat every day, and being consistent. :smile:
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Water retention, is goes away.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    personally, I like to minimize the variables

And THAT'S why I never do exercise. *maths face*
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

Oh, regaining 3-4 pounds is not "gaining it all back" It is within the normal variation for a person's weight.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There could be a couple of things happening

1) not logging things accurately, pretending cheat days don't exist,
    2) Not eating enough, the days where there in not much logged, is that all you ate or did you just stop logging? Your body might be going into starvation mode.
    3) water weight
    4) many people think that if they exercise that they can eat worse, like they have earned the ice cream after every work out. (I believe in treating yourself occasionally but many go way overboard when they start the gym)

Best of luck
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Sorry if that sounds HARSH... and.... stick with it - it'll happen! You'll see. :smile:
    Yes, if you are not logging accurately, weighing and measuring everything, everyday: you could be under-eating or over-eating. This is an excellent read on the importance of accurate logging.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=You're+probably+eating+more+than+you+think