When willpower just doesnt seem like enough...

Options
i have been doing my best to keep track of all foods, exercise and preplan meals somedays too, why is it that the temptation seems to over bulldoze over my willpower. its discouraging because clearly im the one in control here but my mind catches up with the decision i made after i ate that cookie, chip, etc. i need help to find MORE willpower!!!!!!!

Replies

• rpeterman22
    rpeterman22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    give yourself some credit. we all struggle with this and at least you FEEL BAD AFTERWARDS! it takes practice, like anything else. writing down everything you eat BEFORE you eat it helped me a lot. it mapped out what i was allowed to eat and i wouldn't go around that boundary. leaving things up to chance is when i start slipping. if i just say "oh i'll figure out dinner later" and then dinner time comes and i'm so hungry i don't feel like writing down what i'm allowed to eat because i just wanna eat! that's when all hell breaks loose and i become a ravenous monster. ;) haha.
    also, if i'm really eyeing up a cookie that i want i'll do one of two things:
    1. if i don't have time for exercise that day and that cookie doesn't fit into my caloric allowance then i will go brush my teeth or eat a stick of gum. the minty taste distracts my mind and i just forget about it.
    2. if i really want that cookie, i'll give myself a condition. i'll say "okay one cookie-50 squats" i'll do my squats FIRST and then eat the cookie after. (i do this often because i don't believe in cutting out all the foods i enjoy, i just work for them)

hope this helps, good luck! :)
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm bad with willpower too. Some people seem to have a bit more control over their impulses than others. One way I look at it is as an excuse. If you really stop and think your "bad decisions" are often excuses. NO MORE EXCUSES. For some reason that really helps me.

I deserve a cookie cause I had a bad day - excuse to eat bad.
    I stubbed my baby toe I can't go to the pool today - excuse!
    Just one chip won't hurt - !!! I know I can't eat just one
    I'm hungry and these chips are right in front of me - If I'm actually hungry something healthier should sound just as good.

Not sure if this helps, but it has helped me in the past.
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    both of your idea/options/advice/help are excellent. thanks so much!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Another thing to do is keep the temptation as far away as possible even to the point of driving home a different route. (so I don't pass the Dunkin Donuts on the way home) I know when my willpower is at its weakest and try to keep temptations farther away at those times.
  • torisiegel
    Options
    i have been doing my best to keep track of all foods, exercise and preplan meals somedays too, why is it that the temptation seems to over bulldoze over my willpower. its discouraging because clearly im the one in control here but my mind catches up with the decision i made after i ate that cookie, chip, etc. i need help to find MORE willpower!!!!!!!

I have a stationary bike at home, and when I really want ice cream (my go-to dessert), I enter it in MFP, and bike until I've burned off that many calories +10%, just in case the number is a little off. It's been working great so far! I know I could lose faster without those extra calories in the evening, but I'm doing well and I'm looking for something sustainable. Removing ice cream completely is simply not going to last long-term. :p
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    yeah i totally dont want to cut out everything i love just do the moderation thing because i dont want to mentally rebel and go crazy lol plus there is no way i cant still eat the bad thing once in a blue moon to avoid depriving myself but thats a good idea find out what it is i want an how many calories to burn to enjoy it:)