Running Gear/Tips

Options
Hey MFP friends... I have a few questions for those who have been running for a while. This will be my first "winter" that I am going to attempt to continue running outside as long as I can.

Anyone have any good tips on what kind of gear to buy, or just good tips for running in the cold that I may not have thought about? ( I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona and spent the majority of my time in the Navy in Hawaii, so running in the cold is a little new to me!)

Thank you!

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    BUMP. In for tips myself!
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Another bump.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Number 1 recommendation - running tights. I refused to wear them for a long time. At a race a friend lent me a pair when it was colder than expected. There is a reason people are willing to look silly in tights - they are great.

Then I wear a wicking layer (usually just a summer tshirt) and a warm layer or two. For the longest time I used a regular running jacket to keep the wind and wet (snow or rain) off and layered below. This winter i bought a warm wonter rinning jacket. Not necessary but it is a really nice to have. For layering - At first I used regular old hoodies. As I went a long I picked up technical gear made for running.

Hat and gloves. Gloves make a big difference. Someone told me as long as you keep your hands warm, you will stay warm.

Always dress a little lighter. You should be cold starting out, you will warm up. It takes a little practice to learn how much you need in what weather but you'll get it.

Edited - sorry for typos autocorrect on my phone hates me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Wool socks or thick cotton socks especially if don't have winter running shoes. It gets cold when the wind blows through the mesh part on running shoes!

Winter running tights or thicker tights. Much warmer than pants flapping around.

Layers of shirts. Just wear enough to not freeze when you start because once you get going you'll be stripping something off otherwise. I like a top layer with a full zipper I can undo if I need to.

Tight fitting hat that covers your ears or an ear warmer band. I get terrible ear aches if me ears aren't covered. Depends how cold it is which one I choose.

Gloves or mitts. I have a few pairs that are very thick and fuzzy to use as nose wipers because I'm usually barely out the driveway before my nose is running. I have almost perfected the snot rocket so the absorbency of the gloves isn't as important now.

Sunglasses if there's snow and it's sunny.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Agree with running tights (especially ones designed for cold weather), ear warmers, gloves (there are some that your smartphone touch screen is sensitive to, keep that i mind if you run with a smartphone) and layer up.

BUT since it is dark most of the time in the winter - make sure you wear lots of reflective gear....heck, get a reflective construction vest - I'm putting one on my dog this winter.

Being visible in winter is more crucial than any other time. The shoulders on the road are smaller, visibility is worse and it's hard for vehicles to stop for you on icy/snowy roads.

Be safe!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I prefer Asics line of thermo gear. I do thicker running socks, tights, LS wicking shirt with another shirt over (and a fleece pullover if it's cold), beanie, and gloves. Also, a belt with adjustable cords to hold my layers as I gradually peel them off. Most of the Asics gear is on clearance on Amazon now - the gloves have the capacitive fingers for playing on your phone, so they are useful outside of running too.
  • andriawenz
    andriawenz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! THank you everyone. I did not even think about the mesh part of my shoes. I will have to look into getting winter running shoes. Also, looks like tights are the way to go... I REALLY appreciate all of your advice!!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice above. I would also add:

* Consider knee-length socks to go under your tights. Helps stop drafts around your ankles. Mine are also compression socks which has helped with cramp and shin splints.

* Layers that are easy to unzip at the front/take off and tie around your waist. Even when I run in the snow I tend to get hotter than expected.

* Water resistant long-sleeve top. I initially bought a lightweight waterproof jacket but find a top works just fine. I get so sweaty that a bit of rain doesn't make much difference, especially if I'm jumping straight in the shower when I get home. My long-sleeve top is designed for trail running and has super-long sleeves to keep my hands warm.

* Yaktrax to go on my shoes when it's icy. Helps to stop you slipping but does slow me down a bit.

* Plastic sandwich or freezer bag to put my phone and/or iPod in to protect it from the elements.

Have fun! Running in the winter is exhilarating, makes you feel really brave and, for me, was the time I realised that I was an actual runner! Over summer it felt like maybe I was playing at it. Winter running really brings it home that you have committed to something that is going to last a very long time :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice above. I would also add:

* Consider knee-length socks to go under your tights. Helps stop drafts around your ankles. Mine are also compression socks which has helped with cramp and shin splints.

* Layers that are easy to unzip at the front/take off and tie around your waist. Even when I run in the snow I tend to get hotter than expected.

* Water resistant long-sleeve top. I initially bought a lightweight waterproof jacket but find a top works just fine. I get so sweaty that a bit of rain doesn't make much difference, especially if I'm jumping straight in the shower when I get home. My long-sleeve top is designed for trail running and has super-long sleeves to keep my hands warm.

* Yaktrax to go on my shoes when it's icy. Helps to stop you slipping but does slow me down a bit.

* Plastic sandwich or freezer bag to put my phone and/or iPod in to protect it from the elements.

Have fun! Running in the winter is exhilarating, makes you feel really brave and, for me, was the time I realised that I was an actual runner! Over summer it felt like maybe I was playing at it. Winter running really brings it home that you have committed to something that is going to last a very long time :)

I use the ziplock bag too, lol.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    - winter running shoes are actually trail running shoes. (look for gore-tex, softshell material.) Yes mesh is really cold in winter especially if your feet get wet. (sometimes in fall when it is raining i even use those shoes to walk to work instead of rain boots!)

- socks wool merino. just perfect. Good idea to make it up to your knees or at least high enough it prevents drafting air. last winter (my 1st winter running) i actually use merino wool socks for light hiking and it was just perfect.

dress in layers for sure. Basically 3 layers
    base layer: that keeps moisture away from your body. Form fitting asmuch as possible. No air draft here.to wick moisture and dry fast. Make sure it has zip up to your neck.
    middle layer: polar fleece that keeps you warm. POLARTEC,
    Outer layer: windproof, water-resistant polyester soft shell fabric. The important here is stop the wind and rain.
    Tights: Technical tights for running. microfleece interior keeps you warm, while strategically placed vents help maintain a comfortable body temperature.
    gloves mitts. Actually mitts is better than gloves. look for 3 fingers gloves.
    Hat. polar fleece.
    and WEAR all the time REFLECTIVE materials. Use flashing arm bands. Make sure people see you all the time.

running in fresh/cold winter air (when dress properly is somuch better than running in hot humidity in the summer.
  • andriawenz
    Options
    awesome advice! THank you. I will have to look for the socks. I hate being cold and htis sounds like a good plan.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Running over to Amazon....
  • mkshortall
    mkshortall Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said here. I also have a mask I wear when its really cold that helps keep my face from freezing too bad! I also wear tights...yup running men in tights LOL
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I dress in many layers. Running tights for the bottoms and then many layers of moisture wicking tops. I wear a fleece vest under a reflecting windbreaker as my top layers. I wear thin running gloves and a head band.

On my feet I wear my 5 fingers as long as the roads are not too slippery. If they have ice or snow on them, I wear some old running shoes with hex head screws around the perimeter. This way they will bite into the ice without being under where your foot strikes the ground.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said here. I also have a mask I wear when its really cold that helps keep my face from freezing too bad! I also wear tights...yup running men in tights LOL

Yes! I completely forgot to say I use a Buff. I have asthma and the cold air is a killer for my chest. My Buff is great for pulling up over my mouth when running bandit-style! It's then great over summer for using as a headband to keep my hair out of my face.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP friends... I have a few questions for those who have been running for a while. This will be my first "winter" that I am going to attempt to continue running outside as long as I can.

Anyone have any good tips on what kind of gear to buy, or just good tips for running in the cold that I may not have thought about? ( I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona and spent the majority of my time in the Navy in Hawaii, so running in the cold is a little new to me!)

Thank you!

Get yourself some thermal running clothes, gloves and a woolen hat. If the weather turns really, really cold, wear the thermal stuff with a tracksuit on top.

Nothing worse than being so cold, you start to dread going out training!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else as well.... I find that I need gloves for my hands. I have a pair of running gloves. I also really like under armour cold gear.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    In for the great info here.
  • andriawenz
    Options
    Thank you! I am looking into getting some right now. I a mreally excited to try out all the great advice here. I have some to really be thankful for all the people who take the time to share their great advice and tips on here. Gloves are number 3 on my list of "foul" weather gear to purchase. I hate having cold hands... what I am really worried about are my ears... I have long hair and I know that I can wear a watch cap, but htey do not fit my head very well. Someone suggested an ear wrap so I am looking into this right now. THank you!

Thank you!

Get yourself some thermal running clothes, gloves and a woolen hat. If the weather turns really, really cold, wear the thermal stuff with a tracksuit on top.

Nothing worse than being so cold, you start to dread going out training!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different tolerance level for the cold. You'll have to figure out what works for you. I differ in opinion with many of those that posted here. For example:

I have never had cold feet using my regular running shoes. I don't change the socks I wear during the winter. The cold (and I'm talking into the teens Fahrenheit) doesn't seem to bother my feet at all. The exception is if I'm going to run in deep snow or slush, then I wear Storm Socks, Google them.

I don't find tights to be necessary until the temperature is below 20°F if it's calm, or below around 28°F if there is wind. The legs are doing all the work and tend to heat up quickly for me.

I find that usually 2 layers is sufficient for me, an Under Armour cold gear mock turtleneck with a long sleeve technical tee shirt over top is enough to carry me to below 20°. I almost always overheat if I put on a fleece, no matter how cold.

Gloves and hat are essential items. I prefer mittens when it's below 30°F.

So, just experiment with different layering techniques to find what works for you. A good rule of thumb is to dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than it is. You'll heat up in the first couple miles.