Runners- great run but bad aftermath

Options
So I had a great run this morning- I went my farthest ever- 7.2 miles and I had a good pace for myself. I ate a quest bar and drank some water before I ran as usual. After I got back though, my stomach has been upset all morning and I've been "visiting the restroom" alot. I ate my usual breakfast when I got back, and now I'm having some gatorade. The same thing happened to me after I ran a 10K. I really don't want to stop running so far, but now I feel like I don't want this to happen again. thoughts??

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Google "Runner's Trots".

At least it was after and not during the run.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    Quest has so much fiber in it, I would not eat one before running long distances. If you read up on what to eat before you run they say a carb/protein combo.. like a piece of ezekiel, almond butter & half a banana before a race is what I do. Your body will burn it off very quick when you run so no worries about that part.

Hope this helps!
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's normal I think. Every time I push to a new level that seems to happen to me. Sometimes I get tired and need to sleep too....Sometimes I even have a couple of days' worth of respiratory issues. Ha...fun.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Quest has so much fiber in it, I would not eat one before running long distances. If you read up on what to eat before you run they say a carb/protein combo.. like a piece of ezekiel, almond butter & half a banana before a race is what I do. Your body will burn it off very quick when you run so no worries about that part.

Hope this helps!

Interesting...I'll have to maybe change my pre run snack..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue if I run longer than I'm used to. My body seems to adapt and it goes away. That being said, I have my first half-marathon Sunday, and the longest I've done prior to is 11 miles. So I may be dealing with this same issue... :grumble:
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! Google Paula Radcliffe 2005.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Come on OP, just push a bit harder when you are feeling that way. You've got this!

Dedication_poopRunner_motiv-1-729547-729588.jpg
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Come on OP, just push a bit harder when you are feeling that way. You've got this!

Dedication_poopRunner_motiv-1-729547-729588.jpg

OH MY GOODNESS! this is for real!! Luckily none of that happened to me..only when I got home!
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That is not the race picture you want!! But seriously OP, I would scale back the fiber before and after your run. I eat regular toast with jam, and that is enough to fuel 13.1 along with a few jelly beans during the race! Then after your finish, a good carb and protein balance.