Running on the Treadmill in Stocking Feet?

Options
OK Stupid question but here goes...I forgot my shoes, I wear a new balance cross trainer and run/walk on the treadmill a couple hours each day.

Was having a difficult morning and managed to get out the door with my gym bag, music, and all, but forgot my shoes.

Has anyone here ever tried using the treadmill in just their socks? This is a serious question :tongue:

Replies

• goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have said "Naked" Running on the Treadmill in Stocking Feet.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i have, tore my feet up, wouldn't recommend it, unless you're normally a barefoot runner.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes, and it hurt my feet (not at the gym though, at home) so I didn't do that again.

also, there'll be wear and tear on the socks, and if you're wearing actual stockings, well it'll be a one way trip to laddersville. And sore feet.

I think if you forget your shoes when you go to the gym, other cardio machines would be less likely to give you sore feet.
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to run barefoot on the treadmill no problem, not sure about in socks though. The only thing to watch out for is to try to do a mid foot strike as it is quite jarring to land on your heel on the treadmill. Also don't plan to do your regularly planned run as it's very hard on the feet if you aren't used to running barefoot as it works your tendons and muscles that normally don't engage as much with a supportive shoe.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have said "Naked" Running on the Treadmill in Stocking Feet.

that would certainly have got a lot more replies.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, so no. We have a treadmill at home and I have walked on it in stocking feet. It was okay at first, but it became uncomfortable after a while because our tread is grooved.

I say try it. The only concern would be if the gym has a rule against it.

Edited for grammar.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Have you considered using the stationary bike today? If it's not intense enough for you, pick up some light weights and start doing shoulder presses, bicep curls, shadow boxing, side raises etc. while you're on the stationary bike.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Find a maintained grassy field and run there. Anything but the treadmill.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to barefoot running, it's probably not the greatest idea. Also, I et socks ona treadmill would be slippery. And, if you're at the gym and a worker sees you, I would imagine you'll be asked to stopped. Liability and all that.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest something other than the treadmill... lift weights, bike, yoga...
  • glheureux56
    Options
    I have fallen off of a treadmill. Nothing broken, but elbow is still sore and that was 3 months ago. I wouldnt recommend anything that could increase the liklihood of a fall.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    how bout squat, deadlift, bench press etc?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    So what did you do, OP?

Obviously this is an after-the-fact question - since you're asking later.

Gym bag checklist :laugh:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It's going to hurt your feet and your chances of slipping and falling go way, way up, so don't do it.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i'm a little bit of a hippie, i always run barefoot, even on the track behind our local school. but i wouldn't recommend it if you aren't used to it. it can hurt for many days after the first few times.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is just me, but wouldn't the ick factor of running/walking or even touching public gym space barefoot be the deciding factor here? I'd say, wear your dress shoes and just sit on the bike for a while - or make it an 'arm' day.... just my two cents
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Barefoot. Eeeeeew.

epic-treadmill-and-goldfish-eating-win.gif
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    LOL to the Cheez-Its! Yeah, it was a dumb idea. I'm still at work, I always go to the gym after work because it's close to my office but far from my home. Everyones ideas of making it an arm day or a bike day are great ones! Or maybe just make this my lazy day and go home and watch a movie. Still 2 more hours till 5:00 so I have some time to decide.