Tofu?

Options
What is your opinion on tofu?

Replies

• DancingDreamer
    Options
    delicious! but most people never get to know tofu's true potential because they dont know how to cook it right. tofu is like a sponge, it soaks up anything you put it in. the way to make tofu delicious is to soak it first and THEN sear the sides of it to make it delicious. not the other way around....which is unfortunately how most people cook it.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    delicious! but most people never get to know tofu's true potential because they dont know how to cook it right. tofu is like a sponge, it soaks up anything you put it in. the way to make tofu delicious is to soak it first and THEN sear the sides of it to make it delicious. not the other way around....which is unfortunately how most people cook it.

Sounds like you need to make a thread and teach all of us how to properly cook tofu! I've never made it myself. A friend of mine likes it in spaghetti so I got her to bring me a sample two weeks ago. I really liked it! I found it had a soft but "meaty" texture to it. Honestly, it reminded me of tender pieces of chicken. It tasted like the spaghetti. My friend told me that it takes on the flavor of the dish you add it to. I need to know more! Please educate us, oh-learned-one! :)

P.S. I seriously doubt I'll be able to convince my husband and my oldest to eat it. But I may get the baby on board! He is the only person in the house who will eat vegetables and salads with me. Its nice to have someone on my side! ;)
  • rockchick793
    rockchick793 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found a few recipes online for it, and I just wanted to know if it was something that I'd like.....
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion on tofu?

I like and eat tofu, and so does my husband. I prefer the very firm one which I cut in small pieces and add it to salads, soups, and also to stir fry vegetables. It is a good substitute for meats.
    I like the idea of adding tofu to pasta sauce, I will try that. Thank you for sharing
  • rockchick793
    Options
    Does tofu have a significant taste? Is the texture like cottage cheese or noodles?
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love tofu and eat it and tempeh pretty regularily! I'm always looking for good recipes to use because I always seem to cook it wrong :(

Just an FYI though, Tofu is fine for older children and adults but there are a lot of studies out there that show soy and tofu are not good to feed babies and young children. Here are some links you can read about it:

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03summary.htm#formulasummary
    http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
    http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/04babyhealth.htm
  • detrawa
    detrawa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I have been eating tofu for years. I first started eating the extra firm tofu in vegetable dishes. There are a variety of tofu textures. I use the soft texture (silky) in smoothes. A few years ago my holistic doctor told me to stop eating tofu because it makes the estrogen levels in your body rise which may be linked to some types of cancer. Recently, I read a report sharing conflicting information. Goggle benefits and warnings for and against eating tofu. I live in China and tofu is popular here. People often eat with beef, chicken and pork and not just with vegetables. I still eat it but just not as frequently. There are proponents for and against eating tofu.

Check out smoked tofu and other marinated types of tofu in the refrigerator sections of the grocery store. I think they are a great way to start out.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    processed soy is what artificially elevates estrogen levels :frown: So there is no need to avoid soy altogether, but read ingredients to know what you are getting! Also, things such as soy lecethin (which is stuck in half the foods you are eating now) are mainly what the "processed soy" refers to. They are just filler ingredients or something... I am not so sure why!

I have eaten tofu all my life because it is very popular in Asia and my mom cooked traditional food for us when we were little :smile: and it tastes very good! You can make it in soup, as meat substitute, as dessert, etc.! When we eat rice congee my mom would slice a block of soft tofu and just pour soy paste over it. Very simple! Mostly it will taste better if you add seasoning or flavoring though. Different textures are meant for different things. Like soft tofu is good in fish head soup, but extra firm is good for baked "fish fingers" or in pasta as the "meat"! It can also be used in lasagnas as cheese substitute or in vegan desserts:heart: Basically, I love tofu!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Does tofu have a significant taste? Is the texture like cottage cheese or noodles?

Tofu does not have a significant taste. If you eat it straight out of the container, it will have a very slight flavor, but if you make it into something it will take on the flavor of whatever you are seasoning it with.

The texture depends on what type of tofu you get. The silken soft tofu is very smooth and can be added into smoothies or soups. The firmer ones hold up better for stir-fry, pan frying, baking, etc. There are tofu noodles which are very tasty and are just like noodles, but less starchy. If you get the chance, you should try some!
  • rockchick793
    Options
    thanks everyone for your responses...very helpful