Vegtables... How do you cook them????

Options
Hey!

I am in need of some help....

Every time I decide to try and lose weight I start out eating my 5 servings of vegetables per day with no problem... however... I have been eating my 5 servings of vegetables cooked the exact same way for 3 months.... and if I have to eat boiled or steamed vegetables one more time I am going to puke.... possibly even quit this healthy eating S**t like I have done so many times in the past.... and I have come much too far this time to quit... so I want to know....

How do you cook your vegetables???

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Roast or grill them with a little olive oil.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Normally in oil with garlic, salt and pepper.

Sometimes I cook them in bacon grease. It's delicous
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I grill fresh broccoli with olive oil and sea salt. It is awesome! If you don't want to grill, broiling gets a similar taste. Roasted corn is good too
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My preferred method is roasting. A light marinade and then just stick em in the oven for a bit, they get nice carmalization on them. Also, if the season is right and you have the hardware... grilling, by far, produces the best tasting vegetables.

I also do a light sautee (cooking in a pan with a little bit of olive oil maybe with a bit of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar).

Stir fry is also good... again. toss em in a pan with some soy sauce, seasame oil, chili oil (light on both of them since they're heavy flavors). works wonderfully with broccoli, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, green beans.

*edited for spelling
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    sauté them up with some olive oil and yummy spices, usually throw some meat in there as well. I cut up a bunch of butternut squash the other night and roasted it in the oven with some of my favorite salad dressing. good stuff!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    -in a small fry pan I add a bit of water and spices and then dice up part of an onion and bell pepper (I like using a couple different colors like a red and a yellow etc), and then add some mushrooms. Cook on medium until mushrooms are cooked and then serve with A-1 sauce :bigsmile: I also do this with an added carrot and then add to cooked brown rice and a bit of soy sauce instead of the A-1 sauce-one of my favorite meals and I eat it 3-4 times a week.

I get my leafy greens in with green smoothies.

I'm not a big fan of salads but I like making a big, dinner plate sized one with lettuce, diced tomato and onion, black olives, mild pepper rings and then a serving of refried beans on top, with some hot sauce.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I don't cook them at all. I absolutely hate cooked carrots but love raw carrots, just had some with lunch (Carrots and hummus - yum!). I eat salads, etc.

You can also combine them in other dishes, not just as a cooked side. Casseroles, soups, chopped salads, etc.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget. RAW. Crunchy, tasty, eat em with hummus. Fresh green beans, carrots, broccoli florrets.

There's a reason every party has a vegetable tray :)
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Roasted with some olive oil, balsamic and garlic and whatever fresh herbs I may have.

I may even break the rules of convention and juice 'em. Love squeezing the juice outta my roots.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For all of you oil cookers... how do you log this?? Measure say 1 tbsp of oil and then log that separate from the veggies?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Youtube it thats what i do with any new fruit and veggies :)
  • lejla2002
    lejla2002 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    rosted with olive oil and sea salt yummy or grill them (before grilling drizzle lil olive oil and season) :smile:
  • lejla2002
    lejla2002 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget. RAW. Crunchy, tasty, eat em with hummus. Fresh green beans, carrots, broccoli florrets.

There's a reason every party has a vegetable tray :)

Yummy :happy:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Roasted in duck fat
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I grill, bake, saute, and steam 'em! Yummy.
  • javajinny
    Options
    For all of you oil cookers... how do you log this?? Measure say 1 tbsp of oil and then log that separate from the veggies?

Yes, exactly. I don't use oil half the time when I roast them; most veggies have just enough natural juice to get the salt/pepper/garlic poweder to stick without needing oil. But for roasting and sauteing, I log the veggie and then the oil or dressing or sauce that was put on it.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Roasted in duck fat

Legit? I am gullible... don't f**k with me lmao.
  • HSokol
    HSokol Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I prefer steamed for pretty much everything. One thing that i like to do though is to put veggies (mainly greens- spinach or kale) into other things like omelettes, frittatas or even into meats like in meatloaf or burgers. If you wanna look at my diary (you may need to request me though) i do have a recipe for a frittata I made this week- it came out so good. i also just found a good recipe for kale from eating well.com In my salads i use at least one cup of fresh baby spinach.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    I log the oil separately. I use a sprayer to minimize oil use for roasting. Grilling on a cast iron griddle pan or BBQ is similar and good too (slices of courgettte, aubergine, bell peppers, fennel), especially when the weather is too warm to turn on the oven.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options

Yes, exactly. I don't use oil half the time when I roast them; most veggies have just enough natural juice to get the salt/pepper/garlic poweder to stick without needing oil. But for roasting and sauteing, I log the veggie and then the oil or dressing or sauce that was put on it.

Thank you for answering my question!