exercises to calories burned...

Options
How close do you guys think the exercises on here are accurate to the calories burned?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Not really accurate for me at all, but I am obese and overweight people burn more calories. I got a HRM to keep better track.
  • jgsaund
    Options
    Where did you get a hrm that works well
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Up to double what I really burned according to my HRM.. MFP is very generous
  • lorellew98
    lorellew98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They might be close but I don't see how my step class is more than my spin class.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Up to double what I really burned according to my HRM.. MFP is very generous

I have had the opposite experience. My HRM has me at close to double what MFP does but, once more, I weigh a lot.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The calories burned estimates on here go by weight and METs for the exercises. It's about as accurate as you can get without a human calorimeter. A Heart Rate Monitor can be just as inaccurate depending on the formula for the HRM or on various things that can change your heart rate. For example, someone who has taken medications will have an altered heart rate and not get an accurate measurement because of the effects of the medication. Beta blockers and other blood pressure medications, for example, can lower heart rates and give lower calorie burns then what are actually burned by the body because heart rate formulas are just estimates. Asthma medications, caffeine, and general stress can elevate heart rate and give a higher calorie burn then is actually burned because of the artificially elevated heart rate. You have to remember that all calories burned numbers are estimates based on tests of those activities using direct (human calorimeter) and indirect (Portable metabolic cart, which measures the gases inhaled and exhaled to estimate calories burned from VO2) calorimetry. Whichever method you pick will be an estimate based on an average VO2 or heart rate for that activity. Just pick the one that you like best and stick with it.

ETA: For what it is worth, in my exercise physiology bachelors program, we use METs unless we can hook the patient up to the metabolic cart for indirect calorimetry.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i go buy what the machine says, and when i plug it into MFP...the automated calorie output is WAY different on here than on the bike...like 400 calories different...to me that's kind of dangerous because it's saying i have to eat back 600 calories, not the 160 it said on my bike...so i don't really trust the estimates on here...go with your HRM
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor for my different exercises. I got a Sportline hrm from Wal-mart.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    i go buy what the machine says, and when i plug it into MFP...the automated calorie output is WAY different on here than on the bike...like 400 calories different...to me that's kind of dangerous because it's saying i have to eat back 600 calories, not the 160 it said on my bike...so i don't really trust the estimates on here...go with your HRM

The bike estimates the calories burned on a 70 kg male doing the same amount of work. On here, it goes by your weight, which is more accurate for you then an estimate based on someone else's weight.
  • coastalstorm25
    Options

The bike estimates the calories burned on a 70 kg male doing the same amount of work. On here, it goes by your weight, which is more accurate for you then an estimate based on someone else's weight.

So what you are saying is that if I didn't lie on my weight and all that on MFP..then the calroies burned should be accurate even if my machine says other wise and if I punch in the exact same thing that the machine displayed?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

So what you are saying is that if I didn't lie on my weight and all that on MFP..then the calroies burned should be accurate even if my machine says other wise and if I punch in the exact same thing that the machine displayed?

I'm assuming that by saying punch in what the machine said, you're talking about speed or intensity level? If so, then yes, MFP should be more accurate then the machine at the gym. If you are talking about punching in the calories burned from the machine, then I'd say the calories are wrong more likely to be off. Either way, it is just an estimate, but an estimate from your true weight and activity will be more accurate then an estimate from a machine that is programmed to be for a different weight person.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    My experience- MFP is accurate with calories burned. I have been hearing ppl say that they over-estimate calories... But mine are never too extreme. I don't wear a HRM so I can't say for sure. But at my weight (115) running at 6 mph for 25 mins says that I burn like 220 calories. Which seems fair to me, for the exertion I put forth. Also, for the 30 day shred I put in "general circuit training" for 20 mins and it says I burn 139 calories. Again... A fair estimate. I feel like I am dying, but in a different way than running... Because it is weight training. I have looked on different websites for calculations of exercises and the same numbers all come up- give or take a few. I know how fast I run tho, and how fast I walk... Because I use a gps that tracks my distance and speed. So when I enter the cardio into mfp, I know exactly how fast I am going and pick the correct pace.