PCOS and dieting?? Anyone?

Options
Hello,

I am twenty six years old and was semi-diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) about a year ago. From all of the infromation that I read many women suffering from PCOS have an extremely hard time losing weight due to insulin resistance (the body store almost all calories that come in). I have been dieting and excersizing for about three weeks now and have lost about 10 pounds so far but I seen to notice a bit of a stall for the past couple days.
I'm not on any specialized diet, just really eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and regular exericse. The information that I have found online is really discouraging. It seems as though for most of the suffers of the syndrome losing weight is almost impossible or just extremely slow.
Any success stories out there? If so, I would love to hear it and find out what worked for you :)

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    it can be done you just have to be patient. I was dx with PCOS back when i was 23. They put me on Metformin to help get the weight off but it only made me sick so sure i lost weight just the wrong way. You just have to stick to low fat low calories, take your vitiamins and hit the gym. It will come off with persistance. Just dont get discouraged.
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    I am interested in this as well. I was diagnosis with PCOS 2 years ago. Looking forward to reading some feedback! Thanks for the post!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 5 weeks and I've lost 11.2 lb. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 years old. Once hitting puberty, I put on a lot of weight despite how often I'd exercise--I was taking dance classes for 4-5 hours a week and was on the pep squad with practice 2-3 hours per week and still steadily gaining. My doctor put me on the pill to regulate my hormones. Once I started college and moved out on my own I couldn't afford the pill anymore, and with a poor person's diet and a lot of walking to and from classes, up stairs, etc. I lost 60 pounds in about 6 months. During that time, I was taking glucophage to help with the insulin resistance part. Once my finances leveled out, I started gaining again. Three kids later, I'm the biggest I've been in my entire life (well, 5 weeks ago I was, haha) and I have a LOT of weight to lose. I exercise, diet, and create a huge calorie defecit and I still can only lose a little each week, no matter what I do. I can eat 1200 calories or 1700, it just comes off pretty slowly for me. I have weeks where I don't lose anything, and then a week where I lose 4, and then a few more weeks of nothing. I think it has to do with where I am in my cycle. PCOS sucks!!
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    it can be done you just have to be patient. I was dx with PCOS back when i was 23. They put me on Metformin to help get the weight off but it only made me sick so sure i lost weight just the wrong way. You just have to stick to low fat low calories, take your vitiamins and hit the gym. It will come off with persistance. Just dont get discouraged.

Are you still taking the Metformin or are you just dealing with PCOS on your own?
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you are able to catch Jackie Warner Thintervention on Bravo you really should. One of the girls Stacey has PCOS and last week they showed her speaking with her doctor about her problems losing weight. I don't personally have any experience with this but perhaps some of the things on the show could help you in your journey as well.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    what is important for me is going lower-carb. i try to get 45% of my calories from protien, 30% from fat and 25% from carbs. it is slow going but i have lost 20+ pounds. you CAN lose weight with pcos but you have to be dedicated. good luck!
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    I was semi diagnosed with PCOS at 16, formally properly diagnosed after years of finger chewing and umming and aahing and changing doctors (simply because I was moving between areas an awful lot)....just this year....finally ^_^

I've been on MFP for a couple of months now and have not had any real problems. I hit a plateau around 3 weeks in too, after having lost 6 lbs and it was discouraging and it took its sweet time to move but it did and now I'm 16lbs lighter than when I started :)

I went to see my doc yesterday for a checkup on my weight and PCOS diagnosis etc. Her wise words were that PCOS is indeed a syndrom, not a disease or condition that can be put down to one perfect category. It is kind of like autism...a spectrum disorder of the body with some women being hit with full blown ever terrible symptom possible, and others coming off relatively mildly. In other words, there are no easy answers when it comes to treating the effects of PCOS

There is some evidence that insulin resistence is linked in with PCOS and metformin could be seen to help in some such cases (it certainly helped an awful lot with my cousin who also has PCOS, she is now the mother to a happy healthy baby). In my case it wouldn't help - I've had a full set of blood tests...multiple times in fact...and I personally am not insulin resistant, but if you feel you may be insulin resistant and it's effecting you, then go and ask your doctor about it because you never know, it might be the answer you've been looking for!

My doc also said this...PCOS and weight is like the chicken and the egg...no one knows which one effects the other...some people it's clear that it is being overweight in the first place that cause it, but for some people they were a healthy weight and then suddenly they bloomed...we went through my history and my hormone tests...there was actually nothing wrong with my hormone levels but I've never had a natural period...she explained that what was happening is that the fat in my body is metabolising the oestrogen before it gets to do the work it's supposed to....given that I was already overweight by the time I hit puberty, it was no suprise then that I never started my periods in the first place, and it was most likely that being overweight that is causing my PCOS. This has really helped me to understand what it is I'm dealing with and how to go about sorting it out...it seems clear that if PCOS is acting against my weight loss then by persevering, every pound I loose will make it even easier.

Perhaps you should discuss your test results with your doctor too. If you're like me and your weight gave you this syndrom in the first place it may just be a case of perserverence, but if it was PCOS that caused your weight gain then maybe there are other ways you can help to bring your weight down?

Just some thoughts :)

xxx
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS...its hard, but its not impossible. I have been on all the meds that you can think off, gluco, th epill, etc.. I was on gluco. for 6 months but dint really loose anything. In July i started to watch what i eat, exercise and i lost so far 25 lbs. Now i found this great website ! With PCOS you just have to be on a low carb plan. I hate saying i am dieting, b/c thats not what i am trying to do , i am trying to change my LIFESTYLE i have improved so much, and i know that it is not IMPOSSIBLE to loose wight with PCOS. I have stopped taking all the medicine and lost weight on my own by simply changing a few things in my daily life style, drink a lot of water, and avoid carbs, i am not saying dont eat them at all but limit them, lot of exercise, and PATIENCE is very important, and you have to change the way of thinking, instead of i cant due this i have pcos you have to say I CAN AND I WILL.

I used PCOS as a excuse for a long time not to loose weight, by saying it just doesn't work , but i know that i didnt put in 100% now that i have i know it can be done.

Good Luck i wish you all the best !
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It comes of slowly, but it does happen if you stick to it. I was diagnosed 5 or 6 years ago, and until I made the lifestyle changes to be healthy, it wouldn't come off.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 3 weeks is great! I have not been diagnosed with PCOS (though I am not ruling out that I have it... I have regular cycles so that tends to make doctors not care if anything else is going on). I *have* been diagnosed with insulin resistance though. I second the advice to up the protein a bit. I have mine set at 45% carbs/30 fat/25% protein but that is because I am SO bad at getting in protein that even that is a stretch for me. It is definitely possible to lose weight... but for me it does seem to be slow going. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want!

Oh, I am on the glucophage too... or I am supposed to be. I am horrible at taking it so that is one of my ongoing goals is to get better at taking the meds.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    First of all I think that losing 10lbs in 3 weeks is great! Remember 2lbs a week is the healthy way to lose weight.. so you are on the right track!

Second, I have been living with PCOS just about all my life, was always a bigger girl, and would work out like crazy and the weight would not come off, or it would come off and then come right back on. Losing weight with PCOS is very discouraging I agree... but if you stick with it and keep moving forward it will happen. However, if you are not taking Metformin I would suggest doing so, as this is what makes or breaks the weight loss for me. I did an experiment and without the Met, if I ate bad and exercised I would gain, and if I ate good and did not exercise I would maintain. But I would never lose. Once I started the Met I would lose as long as I was maintaining good eating habits.

I started my healthy living journey in March of this year, at first I started only counting calories and watching fat intake. I lost 21lbs in the first month. In April of 2010 I hired a Personal Trainer who decided that Low Carb might be the best way to go. So we were constantly playing with my diet, uping my calories, lowering my calories, taking away carbs, adding fiber, adding protein. From April - July I lost an additional 10lbs only! I was disappointed and requested a new trainer. July I was all over the place, August I started with my new trainer - Gained 10lbs in the two months at which I seldom took my Metformin.

By September I was in full swing with my new trainer. I took many things I learned from Low Carbing (which is usually recommended for PCOSers) and looked into the Low Glycemic Weight Loss Diet (which is great btw). So now I am back to counting calories (it worked before) and I usually will only eat from the Medium or Low GI scale... and I allow myself to eat things I love on occasion. Ofcourse I have days where everything goes down hill.. but in September I lost 10lbs putting me at my original weight loss of 30lbs...

My goal for the next 14 weeks is to lose another 30lbs!!! and so far counting calories eating Low Glycemic foods and exercising on a daily basis (trainer 3 times a week, also doing the C25K three times week) is working for me! And I hope to say at the end of the year I have lost 60lbs!

My staple; www.pcoscommunity.com the girls here are amazing.. and I run a monthly exercise challenge there too which helps keep me motivated!

it can be done!! don't give up...
  • pines2palms
    Options
    Hey...I guess I am doing this a little backwards... This is my first post, although I intended for my first post to be in the "Introduce Yourself" Section. I just joined MFP today. Anyway, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have been able to lose weight twice with MAJOR success. Each one, though, I quit because of different reasons. #1 MAJOR weight loss was with a major company that helps with weight loss. I was losing very well with them, but the expense became too much, and I had to stop. #2 MAJOR weight loss was this year...without the help of MFP (which made it more time-consuming and tedious), I counted calories and fat grams and exercised at least 5 times a week. I lost 30 lbs! Great weight loss, but I could have lost more...this WAS over a period of NINE months! I just slacked off because recording everything with pen and paper became too time consuming and one of the workouts I did was on a DVD that got messed up... So, I just quit. BUT, my point...it CAN be done! My dr gave me Metformin, some birth control pills (to TRY to get cycle regulated-my tubes are now tied after 3 kids in less than 4 years-so, it isn't for birth control), and also an appetite "inhibitor" called Phentermine. The Phentermine does that, but it also has some bad side effects. I am currently trying to decide whether or not to continue it...
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    Also any PCOSers (or others) want to add me, I'd love to share journeys!

Also on pcoscommunity.com as sedivygal

and facebook: www.facebook.com/sedivygal
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I was just told I have PCOS about a year ago. According to my doctor, it is hard to lose weight but it will come off slowly but surly. He also says that being overweight makes the symptoms of PCOS worse, and that as I lose weight it will actually become easier to keep losing, because weight gain is a symptom...which can be fought off by losing weight.... Was a bit confusing to me, but I hope he's right. So far I have not been put on any kind of medication, he just wants me to lose some weight and see where it goes from there.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    I was just told I have PCOS about a year ago. According to my doctor, it is hard to lose weight but it will come off slowly but surly. He also says that being overweight makes the symptoms of PCOS worse, and that as I lose weight it will actually become easier to keep losing, because weight gain is a symptom...which can be fought off by losing weight.... Was a bit confusing to me, but I hope he's right. So far I have not been put on any kind of medication, he just wants me to lose some weight and see where it goes from there.

This is very true. Although PCOS is not curable, the symptoms of PCOS become more controlled and often are less or obsolete. I have know many women that have regained menstruation, ovulating and more by losing weight.
  • candacepainter
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos 3 years ago it was until year and half ago i decided i need to lose weight! As of today I have lose 102lbs! Its not easy but its not impossible! I will tell you that these last 40lbs do NOT want to come off!
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years or so back and lost over 30 lbs in a span of 10 months. Losing weight with PCOS is a slow process but I did see a lot of symptoms reduce greatly. My cycles became regular and I didn't get the pain I would normally get on my 1st day. I started seeing changes in symptons & menstraul cycle in less than 3 months of regular exercising & diet control. Most of my diet control had to do with controlling my dessert intake.

I stopped exercising & gained weight again and was back to square one. But I'm back on track now :)
  • jadeskiss83
    Options
    I agree...PCOS does so suck soooo bad!:mad:
  • jadeskiss83
    Options
    Thanks for your great response...PCOS is hard to deal with because it is such a broad sydrome. I don't think that my weight was the cause of PCOS since my cycles have always been pretty irregular even when I was slim. However, I do know that it has become much worse since I have put on weight. When I was thin, although my periods were irregular they would come often, more like every other month or every two months. After I had my first son, I gained sixty five pounds and was never able to take the weight off. After giving birth, I noticed that my period would dissapear for four months or so. Since I wasnt ovulating properly, when I wanted to get pregnant with my second I actually had to take a dosage of Clomid to conceive. It wasn't difficult getting pregnant, I conceived after the first dose. While trying to conceive my second son was when I was diagnosed with PCOS...I had never even heard of it and didn't give much thought to my irregular cycles.
    After being diagnosed and hearing about the symptoms, I figured I've always had it, just more mild symptoms since I was at a healthy weight.
    I can tell that losing this weight is going to be a difficult journey, but as that old saying goes..."good things come to those who wait"...I'm in in for the long haul.
    I'm so glad to have found this website! It is great knowing that I have sisters out there going through this journey with me....thank you all for your great feedback...
  • jadeskiss83
    Options
    CandacePainter:
    Wow! Great job! What was your plan of attack? How were you able to lose the weight?