Hello! I'm awesome...

Options
...at least, I am in some people's opinion.

I'm just going to introduce myself by copying what I typed in my profile...I mean, I already waste enough time doing that.

I'm 28 year-old father of two (3-year old girl, 19-mo old boy). I'm a tech geek, gaming nerd and born-again Triathlete. I am rededicating myself to activity and healthy eating, and I hope that my good habits will rub-off on my kids as well.

I'm sarcastic as hell...so please don't take offense.

I used to be in shape...great shape. Swimming, running, cycling, martial arts. I was addicted to activity. Then, college came along...followed by an office job and the endless hours of dedication in order to move up...then marriage...two kids...I let myself go. From 134lbs to 194lbs over the course of 5 years. So slow, I never noticed. That is, until, we went to the beach in May '13 and as I was putting on my swimsuit and saw myself in the mirror. I refused to take my shirt off the entire trip.

My father was in much the same situation back in March and he dedicated himself to improving and completed his first sprint Tri on 9/7, coming in 5th for his age group and 63rd overall. While I've done sprint Tris before, but I've never completed an Olympic Tri, so we promised each other that we would do it together. I'm on a mission to get myself in shape for one by April...and maybe when we go back to the beach in May '14, I won't be afraid to take my shirt off.

This is new for me. I don't usually participate in online communities, but this time I though, "Why the hell not. Anonymous people on the internet are never anything but cordial and helpful." So, I'm taking a leap...stepping out of my comfort zone.

Seriously, this seems like a huge community, so I know there are a lot of helpful people out there and maybe...just maybe...I'll meet some who don't suck. I know you don't suck, so stop by and say "Hi!"

Replies

• Uh, I don't think I suck too bad, and I am also pretty sarcastic and sometimes helpful, sooo FR sent
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm awesome too! At least my wife and kids think so...most of the time. I am also a "used to be fit" guy working towards a goal of fitness again. Welcome to MFP.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! Welcome to the community!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I was going to go with a "not all sucking is bad" kind of joke but I'll take the high road here. Welcome to the site! Sounds like you're going to do just fine here :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your a tad bit vain
  • OlyTriNoob
    Options
    your a tad bit vain

Agreed. But I'm alotta bit awesome!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was going to go with a "not all sucking is bad" kind of joke but I'll take the high road here. Welcome to the site! Sounds like you're going to do just fine here :)

And, how yooooou doing?
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    your a tad bit vain

Nahhhh, just confident! And who doesn't like confident? ESPECIALLY CONFIDENT AWESOME PEOPLE?!

I frequently don't suck, so I think I might make the cut. And I also used to be extraordinarily fit -- long distance swimmer and cyclist. That disappeared slowly. Now I'm back on track, also with the goal of completing a tri next year. So I will send friend request. And we can all be awesome and confident together.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    your a tad bit vain

This, from a Leaf's fan strikes me as funny.

Welcome to the site...all kids think their dads are awesome. My kids - 4 of them all older than yours - have a dad like you and a mom similar to you. Nerds file the world. Good luck with the training. And by the way your dad rocks...
  • Adre_N_aline
    Options
    I must be related because I am awesome as well!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, cute daughter!!! Welcome to MFP!! Love that you and your Dad are going to do the triath. together!! That is awesome!!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it, I'm kinda awesome myself and i do suck on occasion :) Or maybe thats what makes me awesome, i dunno lol.

Anyway, welcome to MFP . You will find alot of helpful supportive and awesome people in the community and probably encounter a few that even suck ( the not so good kind lol ).

Good luck on your quest for a better You!
  • OlyTriNoob
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Nice to meet some awesome people my first day on the site.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Enjoy the gifs.
    tumblr_mtsy244qzT1sj3oxho1_500.gif
    tumblr_mtsy0v7PAI1sj3oxho1_500.gif
    tumblr_mtrfbnJgWE1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You probably think that song was about you...
  • xcatsaxon
    xcatsaxon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your not a WoW player are you? Night Elf type? If not then welcome! =) lol
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    "Why the hell not. Anonymous people on the internet are never anything but cordial and helpful."

I hope that was your sarcasm because if not, boy are you in for a rude awakening. Seriously this can be a great place filled with incredible people who will support you like you could never imagine. And a few interspersed trolls just to keep things real.

If you train hard, watch your diet, LOG EVERYTHING (which was the key for me), you should be able to be back at college weight by April if you really apply yourself. Or at least real close. That should be plenty of time.

You are in the right place. Trust me, if an old guy like me, on 2 titanium hips and a brand new titanium knee (one year anniversary last week) can do this, and get in the best shape of his life, you got this made in the shade. It isn't easy, and anyone who tells you it is must be trying to sell you something. But in the end it is sooooooo worth it.

And if you want someone who can probably out-sarcasm you every day of the week, and from a gay point of view, feel free to send a FR. But best of luck on your journey and in your races.