Question about exercise and calories

darcibean
darcibean Posts: 86
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am new to this, I have been "dieting" for a week now. I have been counting calories and eating 1200-1300 a day. My question is, today I burned a bunch of calories by cleaning my entire house (that sounds silly) and taking my daughter for a walk at the park....so do I "need' to eat more than my normal 1200-1300, or do I still eat that amount?

Why or why not?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to dieting and exercise....and MFP. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    They say that you should eat at least some of your exercise calories back because if you go under 1200 calories then you put your body in conservation mode and it slows down your metabolism and weight loss. I don't eat all me exercise calories, only about half and I have been losing weight at the 1-2 pound a week pace. One thing to be careful of is that we over estimate our calories burned and under estimate our calories eaten. Good luck.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    That's not a silly question at all. Yes, housecleaning is considered exercise. You can log it in your exercise diary under "cleaning", as well as your walk. You should eat back at least half of those calories so your body doesn't slip into the dreaded "starvation mode", where your body actually holds on to fatty tissue and uses muscle tissue as fuel. I know that it does sound funny that you have to eat more to lose weight, but it does work. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • Ok great, thanks for the information!!!!! :) So exercising DOES have perks than just toning up!!! :)
  • There is no such thing as a silly question...you should not go under 1200 cal....your body will go into starvation mode and that can have quite the opposite effect.
    Cleaning house, playing with the kids...any activity besides your usual routine can be considered exercise.... and as for regular exercise remember for every pound of muscle you burn more cals peroid....even just sitting...I invested in some 2 and 5 lbs weights, use them while watching TV.
    Good luck... =>
This discussion has been closed.