over 60 crowd?

Options

Replies

• mrsmlbj
    mrsmlbj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 61 years old and am going to lose 200 + pounds. Been dieting all my life as I was 150# when I was 9 years old. This time I have to do it in order to stay alive.

I have been remaking some of our favorite recipes into low sodium recipes as I have CHF and Afib. We are also trying to be semi-vegetarian. So far we are eating only chicken or pork only two days a week. We are learning to use beans, rice and Quinwa. It's a whole different mind set. I am still missing my sugar.

I live with my wonderful husband who is the cook of the house. He is dropping weight like crazy. It's just not fair! i do all the work outs in water exercise - actually I lead a class three days a week for the Red Cross - and he loses his pants. hahaha!

I would love to share any recipes that are easy, tasty and low sodium.

Becky
    Illinois
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Turned 64 in June. Started weight loss 3/26/2012. Highest weight 310, now 184 (stuck/plateau?) goal 130 by 65. Add me as friend if you'd like.
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and active on MFP. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • lilacs211
    Options
    Over 60 found the siteand now have time for me I will lose the #'s I have been carrying around most of my life. Glad to be added as a friend
  • smalltowntwo
    smalltowntwo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi. I turned 60 this year and just downloaded the My Fitness Pal app on Sunday. Glad to find a place on here for the over 60 crowd. I'm determined to get into shape and lose some of the weight that I've put on over the summer.
  • Waltonlibrary
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 52 and have gained 17 lbs since January. I am looking for a new start. I downloaded MFP app today and I am excited to get started. I plan to exercise 6 days a week. I am limiting myself to 1500 calories a day. Any other ideas?
  • smalltowntwo
    Options
    They say that being part of a like this makes you more likely to stick with your program, so you are on the right track. I know it's also important to drink lots of water, which I don't do very well yet.
  • smalltowntwo
    Options
    I should have said being part of a "community" like this makes you more likely to stick with the program!
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    After looking at everyone's reply - it seems I am the oldest person....YIKES... oh well.. I am 67 and working on dropping some weight - want to enjoy life more and with the weight I have on me now - it makes it hard to enjoy anything! Love to be friends with anyone in this group!!

Pamela
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    After looking at everyone's reply - it seems I am the oldest person....YIKES... oh well.. I am 67 and working on dropping some weight - want to enjoy life more and with the weight I have on me now - it makes it hard to enjoy anything! Love to be friends with anyone in this group!!

Pamela

nope, I trump you at at 70. Anyone feel free to add me, time zones may clash because I am in UK
  • marydoyle142035
    Options
    hi my name is Ciao Bella will be 67 in December, want to loose 30 more lbs. lost 20 ish.here i go with your all support !!!
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 52 and have gained 17 lbs since January. I am looking for a new start. I downloaded MFP app today and I am excited to get started. I plan to exercise 6 days a week. I am limiting myself to 1500 calories a day. Any other ideas?

Your plan sounds wonderful and will be very effective. You all are young uns'! I'll be out of the 60's in April - hard to believe.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I turned 72 last month, and I think there are some older than me around... check out some of the groups - I am in a 50+ group which has challenges every now and then.

I find it gets more difficult to lose in our more mature years... but you are never too old for a challenge. I am going to be run/walking the 10 mile Great South Run in Portsmouth, UK in 4 weeks time... if someone had told me I would be doing this two years ago, I would have said 'Not on your Nellie'. But I needed something to get me off the couch and exercising!!

Some of you have done fantastically well... feel free to friend me if you think I can help you, but please remind me of how you came across me... my memory is terrible these days!!
  • mohlms
    Options
    Just turned 61. Doctor said I am pre-diabetic along with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Meds control the bp and cholesterol and Doc gave me a choice of meds or diet and exercise for the pre-diabetic issue. I really don't want more meds and would like to get off of the Lisinopril and Pravastatin. Decided to drop the weight and exercise. met with a nutritional counselor at the hospital and she suggested a food diary. Found this site and am amazed in just one week how keeping track of what you eat really makes you more aware of what you are putting in your mouth. I have OA in both knees and with working all day on concrete floors I am shot by the time I come home. Exercise is a problem right now but hoping that dropping some weight will allow me to start walking more after I get home. I know it will take time and patience but if I keep at it becoming a full blown diabetic will not happen. Doc wanted me to lose about 30 lbs. but I would really like to drop about 100 lbs. Lost 55 on Atkins but once I stopped that program it all came back and then some. Doc has me counting carbs and limiting size portions on protein so hope to have some success to post in a month or two.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 retired and enjoying it. Finally have time to take care of my health. Send me friend request :smile:
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am 62 fixing to be 63 in Dec. We have a group of 60's on here where we have chat, and weekly challenges. Feel free to join us!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    67 here. At our age it takes a lot of patience to keep losing after years of yo-yoing, especially if exercise is difficult, but it can be done.
  • chann0311
    Options
    Sixty three here, and not trying to lose weight, but trying to get healthy. I think no matter our reason for being here, we're all part of the same solution. Good luck in your journey.
  • Naughtykeef
    Naughtykeef Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 63 and have just joined after being encouraged to by my personal trainer. He has got me fit but I cant lose weight. Realise why after putting all my foods into the diary yesterday!!
  • chann0311
    Options
    Hi,

I am 63 and have just joined after being encouraged to by my personal trainer. He has got me fit but I cant lose weight. Realise why after putting all my foods into the diary yesterday!!

It's amazing what we can discover when we put it down so we have a picture of it. Good luck.