Question about hamburg

Options
I am on a very limited budget so I can't always buy the round round 93 % lean stuff. When i buy the 73% lean stuff does the calorie count on it go down a little bit when I drain off all the grease? ( really not looking for a "why eat it then" or "try ground turkey " answers because neither of those are options.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally sure about the "round round"? I'm guessing the question refers to mince beef? If so I'd say I'd go with weight/cal count prior to cooking.
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    LOL that was a typo it should be *Ground Round*.. I do log it for what ever the bar code gives me, I was just wondering it that # went down some by getting rid of the fat.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    From a quick Google search:

A study in the Journal of The American Dietetic Association showed that a simple rinsing process reduced the fat content (hence, the calories) of cooked regular ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent with minimal flavor loss. They cooked the beef, drained the fat, removed the crumbles to plate lined with paper towels, let it sit 1 minute, and then blotted the top with more paper towels. Then, they placed the crumbles in a paper towel-lined mesh strainer, set it on a sturdy bowl, poured very hot water over the beef, and drained it for 5 minutes. Less effective, but also good, is to blot the beef without rinsing or to buy a leaner ground beef. To log rinsed and drained regular ground beef, use the 95% Lean Meat / 5% Fat version.
  • johnsmith3FL
    Options
    Hamburg is a lovely city, you should visit there if you get the chance!
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    Thanks for the great info! And I would love to visit the City :) maybe someday I'll get there :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hamburg is a lovely city, you should visit there if you get the chance!

Ha! This is what I was thinking!