31 trying to get back to 21

Options
I just turned 31 and it's hit me that i'm 45lbs heavier then I was ten years ago. This has to change and i'm looking for support in doing so. I've dropped some weight by doing keto over the summer, which was great, but as soon as i came off I started picking up small amounts of weight. So now i'm looking to get those 45lbs off and keep them off and I hope to get a lot of support from the community here in doing so. I also want to help others looking to do the same :)

Thanks!
blp2

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. When I was 21 I was around 180-185 lbs. A couple months ago I was up to 211 lbs now at 31 years old. At my highest I was 228 lbs after having our first daughter. I've gotten down to 188 lbs a couple times but then became complacent and gained it all back over time from pigging out and slacking at the gym. I'd like to get back to 180 lbs or even lower to the 170's.

I started getting back on track about a month ago and have lost almost 7 lbs so far. Not much yet, but its a step in the right direction.

The weight just tends to creep on slowly over time if you're not careful, and then your metabolism slows a little once you get into your late 20's and early 30's it seems. I think you're making a good move taking care of the weight issue now rather than at 40 years old and 75 lbs overweight or something like that.

I think its best to start off small. Just figure out how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight using one of the calculators on here. Then cut 20% from that number, and that is what you need to eat to lose weight (80% of your maintenance level). It always works for me, usually 1-2 lbs a week. Combine that with some exercise and slowly add more to your exercise routine as you progress and you'll get there in no time!

I think the most important thing is to give yourself plenty of time. It took 10 years to gain that 45 lbs, so give yourself some time to lose it. It wont happen overnight or in a few weeks. It will take months, maybe even 6-7 months or more. But the goal is to get there, doesn't matter when really once you're there. Just keep it realistic and fun and you'll get to your goal. Good luck!
  • blp2
    blp2 Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow, that was really helpful and encouraging. Thank you for that, I really appreciate the advice and the info about your life. I'll add you and I hope that you'll add me as well.
  • kinupmud
    kinupmud Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm looking down the barrel of 31. I had my daughter shortly before I turned 30. I gained a little weight when I was pregnant, then after my daughter was born I would be so tired or in a hurry that I'd end up eating out or microwaving something. Weight really came on then. I am now watching what I eat (helps to be held accountable for it) and exercising regularly. Even if I have to split my workout into several 10 - 15 minute separate routines a day I make sure I get in at least 30 minutes. It helps having support on here too. Some days I get discouraged and it helps to have others there to motivate and cheer you on. I wish you best of luck. It will be a long but rewarding journey :)
  • ricc4411
    Options
    Hi I'm Ricc and I have struggled with weight since I have gotten older. I had major back surgery last year and just received news that I have hair line fracture in my left knee and this does not stop me. But keeps me from doing the exercise that I want to really want to do. Ant suggestions until I heal, want to lose 100 pounds if not a little more: happy:
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was really helpful and encouraging. Thank you for that, I really appreciate the advice and the info about your life. I'll add you and I hope that you'll add me as well.

Cool man, just don't give in to being overweight. At one point I remember saying oh well, I'm in my 30's now and I have a desk job, I guess that's just how it's going to be. But that's BS, its really up to yourself and how much effort you want to put into your own overall health and appearance.