Best Things to eat for Fiber?

djnelson1024
djnelson1024 Posts: 138
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I can not ever seem to get enough fiber in anyone day what is a good choice for fiber rich foods and lower calories I appreciate everyones assistance in this Thanks!!!!

Replies

• ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,010 Member
    beans, like black, red, chili
    air-popped popcorn
    fruit
    oatmeal
    whole grain breads
  • Fiber One chewy bars are great. The "oats and chocolate" is delish!
    They are only 140 calories and give you 9 grams of fiber (35% of your DV)
    I eat one in the morning with a cup of coffee or if I crave something sweet I reach for these instead of a candy bar.

I've included a link to the website so you can see all the nutritional info. They have a 90 calorie bar but I haven't tried that one yet (but I plan to). I am doing a VLCD and they fit easily into my calorie limits. You can find them at Walmart or buy in bulk at Costco 30+ bars for like $12.

http://www.fiberone.com/product/bars.aspx

If you'd rather, apples are a great source of both soluble and insoluble fiber.

Hope that helps, best of luck!!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    For fiber, I go to whole wheat breads, tortillas, oatmeal, and raisin bran. I don't see anything wrong with the other suggestions either.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    I keep organic carrot sticks in the fridge. Not the baby carrots, the whole ones. At my grocery store they are the same price as the non organic ones. 2 large carrots are about 60 calories, with 4 grams of fiber! Also would have a gram of protein, 461 mg of Potassium. Plus all the other great benefits of eating carrots. They are also very filling and always beat the munchies if I get them.

One medium Gala Apple is 80 calories, and five grams of fiber. Four prunes are 80 calories and two grams of fiber. 15 almonds are 100 calories and have 2 grams of fiber and four grams of protein. A cup of spinach is 7 calories for one gram of fiber, and two cups of green leaf lettuce is 11 calories for 1 gram of fiber.

A personal favorite of mine is boiled okra! 8 pods have 19 calories, 2 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein! Some people say it's gross, but I grew up eating it and love it for it's low calorie simplicity.

Personally I lose weight better when I am eating high fiber (over 30 grams) so I try to incorporate good fiber in all my meals and snacks somehow. There are a lot of dishes that it is easy to work a cup of baby spinach into, or cook a carrot or two inside it. I also eat a rather high fiber bread (Ezekial Bread - in the freezer section) and sometimes have oatmeal for breakfast.

Those Gala Apples are wonderful pre-workout carb bundles for me.

Anyway, I've been trying to watch my Potassium as well, and have discovered a lot of high potassium food is also high fiber. A lot of healthy foods can really pack a lot of awesome into humble packages. :)

Have a good evening!
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    I eat a bowl of either Fiber 1 every morning OR I also keep some hot cereal made from flax seed at work for when I don't have time to eat breakfast at home...you can easily just boil some water in a cup, add the cereal (tastes similar to cream of wheat) add some splenda and smart balance and you've got a great breakfast with 10 grams of fiber per serving!

http://www.amazon.com/Flax-Snax-Vanilla-Almond-Cereal/dp/B000QAGWY2

Also, I love WASA crackers with hummus and thin sliced turkey for snacks...there is a High Fiber version that is very tasty!

Good luck!
  • Raspberries are high in fiber & low cal. Peas are great too. (I prefer frozen peas over canned peas) I would suggest more friut & veggies since grains tend to be a little higher calorie intake:)
  • Oh yeah, & watch out for those Fiber One bars (AKA Fart bars). Most of the Fiber One stuff has Inulim/ chickory root it them & can cause a lot of gas for some people. Crazy thunder air-biscuits!!! Your better off getting your fiber from the real thing like raw veggies......just my opinion......not that I would know anything about that.
  • opps...correction......meant to type inulin not inulim.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    I agree - the Fiber One Bars are the bomb...with lots of fiber.
  • I found these whole wheat tortillas by Ole Xtreme Fitness High Fiber Low carb:
    Calories 71
    Carbs 5
    Protein 8
    Fiber 12.....are you freaking kidding me..... 2 of these things a day and your at 24 grams of fiber!!!!! I wrap these puppies around chicken, ground turkey, eggs, etc....

hope this helps oh btw I found them at Walmart...in the food section :)
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Oh yeah, & watch out for those Fiber One bars (AKA Fart bars). Most of the Fiber One stuff has Inulim/ chickory root it them & can cause a lot of gas for some people. Crazy thunder air-biscuits!!! Your better off getting your fiber from the real thing like raw veggies......just my opinion......not that I would know anything about that.

lol...my husband calls them fart bars too!
  • Wow thanks everyone for all the great ideas amazing that there is so much out there and now I have a good idea of where to start u guys kick *kitten* thanks so much for the help *SMILES*
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    The things I eat to get fiber: oat bran, vegetables like coleslaw (shredded cabbage), brussels sprouts, broccoli, green beans, fruits such as apples or pears. You could also have dried unsweetened apple slices (I add them to my oatmeal/oatbran). Chia seeds are supposed to be a great source of fiber, though I haven't tried them yet, I definitely want to though.

And I agree with what others have said about fiber one bars, they may taste good, but they are very likely to lead to gas and bloating. If you live alone then go for it, otherwise proceed with caution!!
This discussion has been closed.