Calorie Budget Question.

Options
bounty627
bounty627 Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm sure this has been asked before. I'm given a calorie budget and I try to stay under budget as much as possible. My common sense to me says that's its a good thing, but I noticed people here on the forums don't think that's a good thing. Can anyone explain it to me please? I'm still learning. Thanks

Jay

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    if you are using the MFP approach your calorie deficit is already built into your calorie budget so if you are under eating to that total then you are creating an even larger deficit which is not needed and could actually hurt your progress... Best of Luck
  • bounty627
    Options
    Sorry. I feel like an Idiot. I still don't understand.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what your mfp deficit is set at. I have mine set at losing just one half pound per week. So, if I eat 200 calories less, then it would be like I set it for one pound per week.

Basically, I see no problem eating under if it's within a couple hundred calories and you have the setting at a half pound. If you have it set for losing more, then you really need to stick with the amount it tells you to.

I hope I didn't confuse you even more :/
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Using the MFP approach when you set up your goals you told MFP you wanted to lose X amount of calories (some put in 1 lb. other 2 lbs., etc) well then MFP automatically deducts those calories from your daily allotted calories so the guess work has been taken out... So if you are under eating the prescribed amount of calories than your are creating an even larger deficit and that can be more detrimental than good in the long run...
  • bounty627
    Options
    @ EdDavenport Ok. I understand that now. Thanks for clearing it up. Now I also use a fitbit flex that i wear 24/7 it continuously keeps raising my budget on MFP. Do I still go ahead and match it or do I stick to the original budget?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well you can let your fitbit adjust or use mfp. Or we can start simple by giving us your height weight age and workout routine to provide more clarity.

To answer the original question, large deficit come with issues such as increased muscle loss and more likely to plateau especially if cortisol levels get high. So when you create a larger deficit its not uncommon to see plateau. In fact I have personally see better results at 2500 calories than I did on 1800 calories.
This discussion has been closed.