Does having friend help?

Options
I've been using myfitnesspal on and off for awhile now, but I just realized there are message boards on this thing... In your experience, do the message boards and adding friends on this site help with your weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm really new to my fitness pal. I just started yesterday. I don't really know if having friends helps but your welcome to add me if you want.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I have found that the people you add as friends can help you alot. They ask about your activities and can help motivate you when you are feeling like logging or exercising is to tedious. The people themselves are a great tool you should really take advantage of.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think it helps. You don't feel so alone out there and sometimes friends and family are not quite as interested in your weight loss program as you are. It's nice to speak with people on the same page.
  • bamlady217
    Options
    That's so true we were suppose to workout together but I ended up doing by myself yesterday and also today.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yep, friends are like cheerleaders whenever MFP posts that you exercised or were under your calorie goal for the day. I like it.
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes, having friends does help out. They give you alot of motivation :)
  • andrewj87
    Options
    I think it's always good to have input and support from others who are in the same boat. There are some pretty knowledgeable people around here who give great advice from what I've seen so far.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you add people - I add folks who have inspired and/or motivated me in some way...found them on the message boards. It is helpful to me, personally, to get some positive reinforcement from people when I post something or when my news feed broadcasts that I came in under my caloric goal.

It's like having an entourage of little cheerleaders follow me around everywhere! :-D
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Friends help keep me inspired :) I have amazing women on my friend list...women with 6 kids who find time to stay in shape, women who work full-time and go to school, and still make time o eat right and workout. It inspires me to be around people who are strong and healthy, no excuses ;)

The message boards are another story...they can be extremely mean-spirited, but sometimes they're helpful. You just have to take the bad with the good.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think it helps. You don't feel so alone out there and sometimes friends and family are not quite as interested in your weight loss program as you are. It's nice to speak with people on the same page.

I was going to post this same thing, OP. When I started MFP, I had no idea how helpful it could be to have MFPals. It makes logging in & keeping up with the diary so much more fun!
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, it helps to have friends, especially if they comment regularly. I'm and addiction counselor, so I know how to do it, I just need to be accountable to others, or I find myself slipping and sliding. I'd select friends carefully and be sure that both you and they have open diaries so you can encourage and support one another. If it's just one-way, it's not helpful.The message boards are great if you're on the right ones. I like the group of people my own age, with similar life experiences, or people with similar interests or weight loss goals. Another poster said it right: choose friends who inspire you. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Rokikio79
    Rokikio79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, it definitely helps. I don't get on the website as much as I work 40 hours a week at a computer and when I get off work the site of a computer makes me want to hurl (LOL). But I use the app daily! Having MFP buddies is amazing. Especially when you have buddies who allow you to see their daily food diaries. It is a great help because you learn new things to eat and they get on here and cheer you on every step of the way. And when you feel like throwing in the towel, they remind you of what you have accomplished and keep you going. It is crucial to have a great support system when losing weight, whether you get that support with the people around you or the friends you make online. Good Luck and add me if you'd like!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

this. no one around me is interested so having friends on here has really helped me.