Finally seriously starting and have questions

Options
First of all stats:
22 years old
5'10
280 lbs (started off at 292)
I'm a chick.
Eating 1640 a day.
I have no idea what my body fat is. I've tried using calculators but since my body shape is VERY weird they definitely underestimate/overestimate. I've gotten quotes of anywhere to 0.07 % to 100.97%. I'm thinking I'm in the 30's but I'm lost.. My basic dress measurements for the record are 43-33-55 and almost all my weight is on my legs (24 inch cankles but tiny arms)

Is it alright to base my exercise on workout videos alone?
I'm dirt poor right now so I can't afford a gym and I have to sit for 9+ hrs a day between school and work. I've been doing youtube workouts (fitness blender and blogilates) for 20-25 mins 5x a week and I'm going to try to slowly increase it but I feel like I'm somehow cheating since I'm not on a treadmill or going to the gym. There are classes taught in the gym in my school but they're definitely beyond my level right now. I'm trying to do 2 arm days, 2 leg days and one overall body day a week. I'm also afraid of doing intense cardio since bad knees are on both sides of my family and since I have at least 90 lbs of fat on me.

How do I estimate calorie burn for workout videos? Do they count as circuits? What about the videos focusing on dumbbell lifts and pushups?
I'm going to save up for a heart monitor but it may be a long while before I can afford one and MFP exercises give me numbers all over the place. I do know I sweat like a beast but I'm never out of breath. I like to train hard and be sore rather than huff or puff.

Should I adjust the MFP nutrient guidelines? What are the best nutrient ratios?
I've already adjusted the fibre due to health reasons. I've been eating cleaner since I started, but there are a few things like margerine and canned pasta sauce I can't justify throwing out so I'm eating 1-2 processed foods a day, but definitely less than before and I'm trying to make the main ingredient of every meal is vegetables. I'm finding it hard though to eat the ratio of carb-fat-protein that they suggest (I'm always low on carbs)

Is 1600 cal a day too low when I'm doing my tiny workouts? Is it alright in general?

Sorry I'm full of questions. I'm used to fad dieting since I started gaining. I used to know everything and lost a ton of weight in HS but I've had years to forget it all. I really want to be settled and well on my journey to weight loss by April since I will be living with my family again then and their cooking/lifestyle is what made me start overeating (I was 175 lbs before I moved in with them) . I really wanna show in Spring looking fit and healthy. It would also be awesome to be able to wear shorts and a tank top again.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry this post is like word-vomit.

Replies

• Rokikio79
    Rokikio79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP!

I can't really answer your questions as I am new on here too. But I can tell you that yes it's okay to do at home workout videos. That is what I do and it's just as good. I also try to get outdoors for some physical activity. Once you get the hang of the website and the app, I am sure you will be successful. If you want to be MFP buddies that would be awesome!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine to workout just to videos, especially as you are starting out. There is nothing magic about a treadmill or a gym. As long as you are getting your heart rate up, you're doing something good. And the ones that use weights are great in so many ways (but there's nothing wrong with dance/Zumba or kickboxing or anything else that interests you!)

For a lot of videos, especially the ones that have weights and cardio (like Jillian Michaels), use circuit training. If it's almost entirely weights, you can also use strength training. If you eat your 1640 calories and at least half of your exercise calories, you should be getting enough food. As far as macros, it's okay to leave it at the MFP defaults. Just look at protein as a minimum, and carbohydrates as a maximum. (As an alternative, I set mine to 25% from protein, 50% from carbs, 25% from fat, I think. I know the protein was 25% anyway :laugh:). None of the macros are evil - your body uses fat and carbs for energy, and they are essential, not just protein, it's just about finding the best balance for you.

Give yourself at least a month before you decide that this plan isn't working. You may even see the scale go up for a couple of weeks if you start a new workout program, because often muscles will retain water as they work to repair and adjust. Keep doing it.

Take before measurements and photos as well as weight. They can often give you a better picture of your progress.

And don't be upset if you lose "only" 5-10 pounds in the first month. You said you're used to fad diets, so I'm guessing you often see a big weight loss followed by a stall. This is going to be more slow and steady. But it also isn't linear. Some weeks you may not lose anything, and then other lose 3 or 4 pounds. Keep at it, you will feel better as you get more fit and make better food choices, regardless of what the scale says!!

edited for typo