Vegtables... How do you cook them????

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Roasted in duck fat

Legit? I am gullible... don't f**k with me lmao.

Yes, duck fat is awesome for veggies, esp root veggies
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I toss 'em in some flavored olive oil and some spices/salt/pepper and then either saute them til they are crisp tender, grill them til they are nicely marked or roast them til they are lightly browned.

Garlic olive oil is ridiculously easy to make: Peal and crush one whole head of garlic. Pour on a quart of olive oil (it doesn't have to be extra virgin either...I think virgin olive oil has a better flavor for cooking personally) and let it simmer for thirty minutes. Let it sit til it comes back to room temperature. Strain off the garlic and store it in one cup sized containers and store in the fridge. (This is my preference...its easier to scoop out what you need, like from a butter tub, than waiting for the whole bottle to melt to be able to use it). I spread the "used" garlic on toast with some sliced mushrooms.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I like to saute or bake them with lots of cheese. But I've also found ways of adding them in other ways. I take a julienne peeler to some zucchini and use it as spaghetti, I make little pizzas with slices of eggplant as the crust, I make my own tortillas using corn flour and some pureed spinach with salt, and I make carrot fries in stead of potato. Little things like that where I can not only replace the not so healthy, or at least health neutral, ingredients with veggies is where I like them best. I've always loved my veg, however my husband does not. So I basically have to trick him into eating them like a kid! I also try to make my own marinara sauce, and that's loaded with lots of veggies. I find that the more I make homemade (and usually freeze), the more I can sneak in more vegetables.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    last night I took a bunch of veggies I had in my fridge I cut them up and I heated a little olive oil and spices and threw the veggies in and added a little more water and cooked them until they were cooked the way I liked them. I added a lot of hot peppers which I love.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I very rarely steam or boil my veggies...how boring is that. saute is some oil or butter...roast them in the oven...grill 'em...make sure you're seasoning them up...also variety.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I bake veggies (generally carrots, broccoli or cauliflower) that were shaken with a bit of oil and some herbs or parm cheese.

I fry brussels sprouts and green beans in bacon grease with lots of garlic (and ofc the bacon).

I wrap asparagus and green beans in pancetta.

Make a sauce from scratch.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....so much goodness. :)

I had an older friend years ago who would only eat veggies raw or lightly steamed. No seasoning, no oils, not even salt.

"Vegetables should taste like vegetables."

I never understood it. That's like saying you can only eat boiled chicken breast or untoasted bread. I mean, do whatever you like and fits your goals...experiement. Use veggies as a base, an ingredient, a condiment. Bake, grill, sautee, roast...whatever.

I think you'll be surprised how much flavor is there - nuttiness, sweetness, caramelization, crispy edges - when you give them a chance to be "real" food instead of obligatory diet food.

One of my favorite things is veggie and egg white omelets. I use, for instance, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, tomato and spinach (or whatever I have and want, but that's a pretty common mix). I add garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, onion powder, chili garlic paste, sriracha - whatever sounds good. Maybe a sprinkle of shredded parmesan or some other cheese. The veggies don't really need oil for this - I just sort of steam them in a pan with a lid to get them started and then let them get as done as I want. Depending on what you use, maybe pour off some accumulated liquid or you may cook it off (depends on what you use and how long you like them cooked). Then in with the egg whites (also seasoned to taste). On with the lid til set. For the record, you can also have a cup of hash browns with this if you like and the whole meal is 200-300 calories, depending on your choice of cheese.

Today I used almost the same - mushrooms, zucchini, onion, tomato, spinach, garlic, and cabbage cooked them about the same way, added a bunch of sriracha and had a turkey Italian sausage with it. Roughly 300-350 calories and it was a TON of food.

I've really enjoyed roasting veggies this year. Beets, green beans, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, asparagus, nice small Brussels sprouts. They are awesome - I roasted beets, onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes together mixed with mozzarella and stuffed big zucchini boats par-baked with olive oil spray and shredded parm. Baked together til the cheese was melted and the zucchini was just a little this side of crunchy, still with some texture. That was a hit!

Thin sliced, breaded zuchhini baked til crisp is a nice snack.

I always like veggies on sandwiches. Spinach is good instead of lettuce if you want.

When making tuna for sandwiches, I usually add about an equal amount of shredded carrot to the mix.

If I make meatloaf, I always run mushrooms and carrots through a food processor and add in.

Oh, speaking of hash browns, I really like mixing half shredded potatoes and half shredded zucchini.

Baked egg rolls (chicken breast, cabbage, carrot, onion, broccoli "slaw," garlic, bean sprouts, Asian seasonings (five-spice powder, soy sauce, ginger, etc), rolled in store-bought wrappers and baked til crispy (flip them over halfway through). They're so good!

Vegetable-heavy soups are great, with or without added meat, lentils or beans, rice, noodles, etc.

Baby carrots are good baked in a casserole dish with just enough butter or olive oil mixed with sesame oil to coat, a little honey (doesn't take much - the carrots are sweet, too), a little cayenne, maybe a sprinkle of sesame seeds and/or toasted almonds.

Veggies are AWESOME on pizza. Mmmm....mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, red onion, artichoke hearts, olives, pineapple (yes, I do know olives, pineapple and tomatoes are fruits lol), jalapenos, asparagus. Just awesome! Actually just the zucchini, red onion, and grilled chicken with sweet chili Thai sauce (use a light hand - it's pretty sweet and you can always drizzle a bit over the top, too) instead of pizza sauce is really good, especially on a thin crust (this is courtesy of Papa Murphy's).

We actually made pizza crusts out of cauliflower, non-fat Greek yogurt, Italian seasoning and salt. They were so, so good...not a single person didn't love them and I promise no one felt like they were on a diet. Made a really simple garlic white sauce with fresh basil, but use whatever you like. Here is the article the recipe came from:

http://greatist.com/health/make-healthier-pizza

We made the zucchini one from the article too, but it was a tad eggy on the first go (not bad, just not the best). Turns out it was really, really good browned in a dry non-stick skillet the next day, though! This one has cheese in it, so beautiful things happened in that skillet.

Here are some other really good pizza ideas:

http://ohmyveggies.com/50-vegetarian-pizza-recipes/

Vegetable lasagna is great, too. You can make it as traditional or as light as you want and layer spinach, chard or kale, lots of tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, shredded carrot, whatever sounds good! I've even heard of people slicing zucchini into long, flat strips, baking a good part of the moisture out of them, and using them like lasagna noodles, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Coarsely chopped cabbage is nice cooked in a skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper - you can add meat if you want or boil/roast red potatoes to go with it. It's different from, say cabbage soup (which is good too). I like the cabbage cooked not so soft, but you can find what you like.

Stir-fries are always good - broccoli, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, pea pods, fresh ginger, green onion, bell peppers, whatever's on your good list, with some shrimp, beef, chicken, or tofu. Add some soy sauce or maybe some oyster sauce, fish sauce, hoisen and/or teriyaki if you prefer, garlic, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, etc. Or a bit of coconut milk and ginger! Serve over rice if you want.

A friend today said she's going to try Chinese Fried Rice - with riced cauliflower for the rice! I am so going to try it, but I'll wait to hear how her trial run goes first to see if she has any tricks! lol

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter breaded and baked thick slices of eggplant and layered those, alternating with tomato slices and onions slices, added lots of garlic, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. She repeated the layers, made the most awesome little stackers out of them and baked them in the oven. It was even canned sauce, so it was quick and easy and fantastic. You could cut the calories if you wanted by leaving off or using less cheese, but it was just great! Plus they were already portioned!

I love spaghetti squash - the favorite of this summer is to bake it and shred it and mix in a little garlic powder and salt and shredded Parmesan. Meanwhile, sautee large shrimp, lots of diced fresh tomatoes and tomatillos, lots of onion and pressed garlic, some black pepper, and some Italian seasoning. Serve that mix over a pile of the squash.

Here is a random link I found today for something I'm going to try (inspired by an MFP friend's lunch lol):
    http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2013/06/04/dinner-rush-beet-salad-with-crispy-goat-cheese/

You can always just Google anything - "eggplant recipes" or "hot vegetable dishes" and browse around. Also, you may like this site:

allrecipes.com

They have SO many recipes, the vast majority of which have been reviewed by ones who have made them, so you can see their ratings, feedback, and suggestions. There is a pretty decent search tool and you can have an online "recipe box" where you save recipes and can categorize them and even notate them if you want. It's all free, although there are paid services on there, too.

Okay, off to bed I go. I hope you find some things you just love. Have fun!

Edited to add: Oh, yeah...the grilling suggestions are great, too! There are tons of online recipes for grilling ideas - it's super popular! I'll just add pineapple rings sprinkled with brown sugar and cayenne for dessert or to top teriyaki burgers. Just because. Okay now seriously - good night! :wink:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    duplicate post - sorry! like it wasn't long enough the first time!
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bake/grill with extra virgin olive oil, salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • Gismos
    Options
    After you steam them you can make a glaze of mustard and vegetable stock to toss them in.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    As is already mentioned, baked or roasted.

I also love throwing together a nice stir fry. I buy the bags of pre-cut veggies and toss them in a skillet with lean meat and serve with rice. Skillet meals are surprisingly easy and fast. If you have a food processor, just toss an onion, bell pepper, carrots, and whatever other fresh produce you have on hand in the slicer.

Add butter and garlic to your skillet. Add in the veggies. Season with salt and pepper and use chicken broth to keep the veggies from burning.

I like to scramble my eggs with veggies. I prefer mushrooms, spinach, onions, beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, and broccoli. Zucchini, asparagus and other veggies work well in omelets and scrambles, too.

Soup! Cream of everything! Butternut squash soup! Pumpkin spice soup! Lentil soup! Soup! Soup! Soup!

Smoothies. Green smoothies are the best in the summer. Try a pumpkin, carrot, beet, or sweet potato smoothie for variety.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Lets see:

You can basically roast every vegetable out there. Toss or spray with olive oil and toss in the oven. This is a good option for trying out new vegetables, as for some reason they always taste better roasted, at least I think so.
    Then you can grill them. Kebab them, invest in a grill pan or get the disposable aluminum foil pans.
    Saute them. You can cut back on the oil or butter, adding only a tsp, and still receive the benefits of the oils.
    Add seasoning to your steam veggies, like Mrs. Dash's salt free seasonings. Changes up the flavors.
    Mix cauliflower in with potatoes to make healthier mashed potatoes. Steam the cauliflower tender then mash away.
    You can do vegetable lasagnas.
    Bring in raw veggies as snacks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love steamed vegetables. The beau steamed bak choy with mushrooms tonight and it was delicious.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....so much goodness. :)

I had an older friend years ago who would only eat veggies raw or lightly steamed. No seasoning, no oils, not even salt.

"Vegetables should taste like vegetables."

I never understood it. That's like saying you can only eat boiled chicken breast or untoasted bread. I mean, do whatever you like and fits your goals...experiement. Use veggies as a base, an ingredient, a condiment. Bake, grill, sautee, roast...whatever.

I think you'll be surprised how much flavor is there - nuttiness, sweetness, caramelization, crispy edges - when you give them a chance to be "real" food instead of obligatory diet food.

One of my favorite things is veggie and egg white omelets. I use, for instance, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, tomato and spinach (or whatever I have and want, but that's a pretty common mix). I add garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, onion powder, chili garlic paste, sriracha - whatever sounds good. Maybe a sprinkle of shredded parmesan or some other cheese. The veggies don't really need oil for this - I just sort of steam them in a pan with a lid to get them started and then let them get as done as I want. Depending on what you use, maybe pour off some accumulated liquid or you may cook it off (depends on what you use and how long you like them cooked). Then in with the egg whites (also seasoned to taste). On with the lid til set. For the record, you can also have a cup of hash browns with this if you like and the whole meal is 200-300 calories, depending on your choice of cheese.

Today I used almost the same - mushrooms, zucchini, onion, tomato, spinach, garlic, and cabbage cooked them about the same way, added a bunch of sriracha and had a turkey Italian sausage with it. Roughly 300-350 calories and it was a TON of food.

I've really enjoyed roasting veggies this year. Beets, green beans, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, asparagus, nice small Brussels sprouts. They are awesome - I roasted beets, onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes together mixed with mozzarella and stuffed big zucchini boats par-baked with olive oil spray and shredded parm. Baked together til the cheese was melted and the zucchini was just a little this side of crunchy, still with some texture. That was a hit!

Thin sliced, breaded zuchhini baked til crisp is a nice snack.

I always like veggies on sandwiches. Spinach is good instead of lettuce if you want.

When making tuna for sandwiches, I usually add about an equal amount of shredded carrot to the mix.

If I make meatloaf, I always run mushrooms and carrots through a food processor and add in.

Oh, speaking of hash browns, I really like mixing half shredded potatoes and half shredded zucchini.

Baked egg rolls (chicken breast, cabbage, carrot, onion, broccoli "slaw," garlic, bean sprouts, Asian seasonings (five-spice powder, soy sauce, ginger, etc), rolled in store-bought wrappers and baked til crispy (flip them over halfway through). They're so good!

Vegetable-heavy soups are great, with or without added meat, lentils or beans, rice, noodles, etc.

Baby carrots are good baked in a casserole dish with just enough butter or olive oil mixed with sesame oil to coat, a little honey (doesn't take much - the carrots are sweet, too), a little cayenne, maybe a sprinkle of sesame seeds and/or toasted almonds.

Veggies are AWESOME on pizza. Mmmm....mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, red onion, artichoke hearts, olives, pineapple (yes, I do know olives, pineapple and tomatoes are fruits lol), jalapenos, asparagus. Just awesome! Actually just the zucchini, red onion, and grilled chicken with sweet chili Thai sauce (use a light hand - it's pretty sweet and you can always drizzle a bit over the top, too) instead of pizza sauce is really good, especially on a thin crust (this is courtesy of Papa Murphy's).

We actually made pizza crusts out of cauliflower, non-fat Greek yogurt, Italian seasoning and salt. They were so, so good...not a single person didn't love them and I promise no one felt like they were on a diet. Made a really simple garlic white sauce with fresh basil, but use whatever you like. Here is the article the recipe came from:

http://greatist.com/health/make-healthier-pizza

We made the zucchini one from the article too, but it was a tad eggy on the first go (not bad, just not the best). Turns out it was really, really good browned in a dry non-stick skillet the next day, though! This one has cheese in it, so beautiful things happened in that skillet.

Here are some other really good pizza ideas:

http://ohmyveggies.com/50-vegetarian-pizza-recipes/

Vegetable lasagna is great, too. You can make it as traditional or as light as you want and layer spinach, chard or kale, lots of tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, shredded carrot, whatever sounds good! I've even heard of people slicing zucchini into long, flat strips, baking a good part of the moisture out of them, and using them like lasagna noodles, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Coarsely chopped cabbage is nice cooked in a skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper - you can add meat if you want or boil/roast red potatoes to go with it. It's different from, say cabbage soup (which is good too). I like the cabbage cooked not so soft, but you can find what you like.

Stir-fries are always good - broccoli, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, pea pods, fresh ginger, green onion, bell peppers, whatever's on your good list, with some shrimp, beef, chicken, or tofu. Add some soy sauce or maybe some oyster sauce, fish sauce, hoisen and/or teriyaki if you prefer, garlic, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, etc. Or a bit of coconut milk and ginger! Serve over rice if you want.

A friend today said she's going to try Chinese Fried Rice - with riced cauliflower for the rice! I am so going to try it, but I'll wait to hear how her trial run goes first to see if she has any tricks! lol

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter breaded and baked thick slices of eggplant and layered those, alternating with tomato slices and onions slices, added lots of garlic, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. She repeated the layers, made the most awesome little stackers out of them and baked them in the oven. It was even canned sauce, so it was quick and easy and fantastic. You could cut the calories if you wanted by leaving off or using less cheese, but it was just great! Plus they were already portioned!

I love spaghetti squash - the favorite of this summer is to bake it and shred it and mix in a little garlic powder and salt and shredded Parmesan. Meanwhile, sautee large shrimp, lots of diced fresh tomatoes and tomatillos, lots of onion and pressed garlic, some black pepper, and some Italian seasoning. Serve that mix over a pile of the squash.

Here is a random link I found today for something I'm going to try (inspired by an MFP friend's lunch lol):
    http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2013/06/04/dinner-rush-beet-salad-with-crispy-goat-cheese/

You can always just Google anything - "eggplant recipes" or "hot vegetable dishes" and browse around. Also, you may like this site:

allrecipes.com

They have SO many recipes, the vast majority of which have been reviewed by ones who have made them, so you can see their ratings, feedback, and suggestions. There is a pretty decent search tool and you can have an online "recipe box" where you save recipes and can categorize them and even notate them if you want. It's all free, although there are paid services on there, too.

Okay, off to bed I go. I hope you find some things you just love. Have fun!

Edited to add: Oh, yeah...the grilling suggestions are great, too! There are tons of online recipes for grilling ideas - it's super popular! I'll just add pineapple rings sprinkled with brown sugar and cayenne for dessert or to top teriyaki burgers. Just because. Okay now seriously - good night! :wink:

^^THIS!!!!! All of it. But especially soups for this time of year and roasted veggies. So many combos! I make a 'garbage soup' out of mine a lot. I shop at Costco so their stuff stays fresh for a LONG time. But at almost the 2 week mark, I realize that oops! I have a bunch or random veg about to go bad! So, I throw a bit of sunflower oil in a pot, chop them all up and put in the pan to get a good flavor with just some coarse salt, toss into the blender with some stock and then you have a creamy soup! YUM. Or you can roast and then do the same. Or even add something like canned white beans to give it some texture. Do whatever! Just try different things like suggested and it'll be hard to get bored!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I like to stir fry, and a lot of veg -green beans, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, mushrooms etc- I just eat raw
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Frozen veges into a pan. Defrost. Add egg. Scramble. Eat that deliciousness.
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    Cook them quickly. Use a wok and get it really hot with a little extra virgin olive oil. Then flash cook the veggies for about 4 minutes at the most (depending on the veggies of course). If I'm cooking veggies that are quite dense like cauliflower then I will micro it first in a little water and a paper towel over it to soften it a bit before I flash cook it. This type of cooking allows the veggies more natural flavors, but is also better with spices.
    I also explore veggies and try new ones in many different ways. I replace mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower, carrots, and parsnips (seasoned to taste). I love to use spinach, Mexican squash, and shredded sweet potatoes in my breakfast smoothies. With a little fruit and protein mix the flavor of the veggies does not dominate at all.
    Homemade coleslaw is another favorite of mine. I also like to make cabbage soup which can be great with fish or tofu.
    Have fun exploring! Food is fun and I can understand why you'd get burn out from doing it the same way.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I drink a smoothie every day by the naked truth called green machine it has a ton of veggies and tastes delicious, I like it even more because I dont have to blend it myself

http://www.amazon.com/The-Naked-Truth-Superfood-Smoothie/dp/B003LLRE5O

I also eat alot of the green giant veggies with cheese, some have high sodium but if you prepare for that you can cut out sodium in other parts of your day
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Roasted in duck fat

Legit? I am gullible... don't f**k with me lmao.

Yes, duck fat is awesome for veggies, esp root veggies

Yup, he's not pulling your plonker! I always do my Xmas roots and potatoes in duck or goose fat. They are heaven!
  • pan0ramic
    Options
    Be careful with the oil! It's a lot of calories and doesn't add much (if anything) to the taste. I cut out all the oil from all my stir-frys and they taste just as good with fewer calories. Excellent sauces are: lemon/lime juice, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and spices.

Just be careful with the soy sauce because it has a lot of sodium in it.