alcohol craving

Options
Hi there - I really enjoy a glass of wine in the evening but this is really hindering me from progressing (in many ways I might add), any ideas on how to combat this?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Replies

• chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Depends how big your glass is. I'm not a professional, but I think if you are craving something, you need to cave to fill those needs - but in moderation. I do this with Chocolate. If I'm in the Mall and see a Purdy's Chocolates, I buy a single chocolate to satisfy my cravings.

I would honestly portion out 4oz of wine and go from there. That will run you around 100 cal, and you won't feel horrendous afterwards :) Buy smaller wine glasses if you need to, because 4oz of wine looks puny in those glasses that will hold half a bottle
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree...workout a little extra and have a glass of wine. Either save calories or earn them. Just make sure you don't drink the whole bottle!
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    4 oz does the trick and I will sometimes not drink it all because I have satisfied my craving for the taste. :tongue:
  • raven5131
    Options
    It is funny you posted this today. I have the same problem. I was in the habit of having a cocktail every evening. I am on a low-carb diet and even though there are no carbs in what I drink, I know It will hinder my weight loss. So what I did was stop the daily cocktails and choose when I am going to indulge. Last night was one of those nights. I will know that I will not loose until it gets out of my system but it makes it easier manage the cravings. I usually do this about once a month. I agree with the previous post. If you are craving something more than likely a little portion will help. I have had one french fry (maybe it was three) and I keep Brachs chocolate "Stars" in the freezer. I will ocassionaly grab one (one carb), let it thaw and move on. Works for me too. The key is to measure and log what you eat/drink. Then you can make a decision with all of the information. I sometimes log the item I am thinking of eating to see what the damage will be. Alot of the time I choose to pass.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Alcohol cravings are often sugar cravings in disguise. I too have identified my greatest nemesis as wine - and I am not a heavy drinker by any means. I did use to enjoy a nice glass of riesling or white zinfandel at the end of the day before going to bed. I have realized, though, since starting this journey, that wine is just not good for me. I have indulged on 2 or 3 occasions since June 25th in drinking 2 glasses of wine each time - the next morning I felt very hung over (on just 2 glasses - yes, I am a light weight). The hangover caused me to not be able to exercise or eat as I would have normally for that day. Each time I did that, the effects hung on for about 3 days and each time I gained back at least 1 pound. I realize that was probably water weight, but still, the impact on my body was significant. So, I made the decision that I simply will not indulge unless it is a very special occasion. Instead of giving into the craving, I drink a bottle of water, have a light beer instead, eat a low calorie desert of some kind (weight watchers now sell these really great deserts in the grocery store - low in calories and they don't give you hangovers). Or just go to bed early that night instead of giving into the craving. If you do indulge, you can do extra exercise that day to offset the calories you consume, but that's not going to really help your body adjust the cravings. So, you need to figure out some kind of an alternative that will work. For me, I think the glass of wine was a "comfort" drink. I could sit in the quiet, sip the wine slowly, and just relax. Now, I have to find other ways to do that same kind of thing.

Good luck on your journey.

Vickie
  • judelyon
    judelyon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your tips - i shall take them all onboard
  • Wwannabe
    Wwannabe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the safe limit for a woman, for alcohol, is 7 drinks PER WEEK. And a "drink", if wine, is 4 ounces.

This spring, I decided to cut out alcohol completely. I had been drinking several bottles of wine per week, and my liver results were a bit iffy. So I gave my liver a holiday.

I had nothing for about 6 weeks. It really helped, and I find that I do not miss it at all. Previously I had tried just having one glass in the evening, and had ended up having 2 or 3--no good. I also lost almost 10 pounds over the spring and early summer.

So you might try this. I'm back to drinking wine occasionally, but I don't drink during the week, at home at all. And I really don't miss it--I am sleeping better, and wake up refreshed instead of muzzy.

The best thing about this exercise is that I know I'm in control--that's very important when you're trying to improve your health and fitness.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I had the same dilemma, and decided to take it out of my diet all together because of 2 reasons: 1) I didn't feel all that great after having the wine because I knew I wasn't staying with my goal and 2) because it really did hinder my progress and how I felt at my workouts.

You have to remember that alcohol hinders sleep. You may sleep, but it won't be quality sleep. And that effects everything!

Anyway, this was my 2nd weekend without the wine, and felt more guilty about not having that "social glass" with my husband on our usual Friday night supper than anything else.

BUT it certainly is showing on the scale so that's worth it!!!