Is it really this easy?

Options
Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
I am 21 years old. I think that mean my max heart rate should be 199... According to this web site http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm for average fitness my heart rate should be between 119 and 159. I can stay comfortably at about 140-150. Im comfortable there... I'm not panting there but I am sweating... It just seems so easy!! According to my HRM I am burning cals and everything... But is it really this easy?? Or should I be working harder??

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Options
    I am 21 years old. I think that mean my max heart rate should be 199... According to this web site http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm for average fitness my heart rate should be between 119 and 159. I can stay comfortably at about 140-150. Im comfortable there... I'm not panting there but I am sweating... It just seems so easy!! According to my HRM I am burning cals and everything... But is it really this easy?? Or should I be working harder??
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    No one knows? :frown:
  • FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I actually was just thinking this same thing last night. I would say mabe up your heart rate a bit and see if that makes a difference. Just make sure to stay within your target heart rate zone.
  • marder
    marder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals.

When I get my heart rate monitor on and go for a light jog, I used to find it easy to get my heart rate to 201 (especially when I'm out of shape). Right now my goal is endurance and cardiovascular health, and I can maintain a 5 mph speed for 12 minutes and find that my heart rate now maxes at 183.

If you think it's too easy, make your exercise a bit more challenging. I don't think there's anything wrong with what you are doing as long as you are seeing changes - both physically and on the scale. Just remember to vary your workout so that your body doesn't grow accustomed to what you're doing and plateau.
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    According to a friend of mine who is a cardiologist, he stated that you should stay within your target heart rate zone if you are out of shape. If you are out of shape and pushing your heart above 90% for an extended period of time you could do damage. When you are running, exercising etc. you should be able to carry on a conversation without getting out of breath or having to stop. If you can do that then you are perfect. You should stay in your target zone for at least 40 min. but doing small bursts that raise your heart rate above 85% is not bad...just make sure that they are small bursts and that you do them in intervals.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    According to a friend of mine who is a cardiologist, he stated that you should stay within your target heart rate zone if you are out of shape. If you are out of shape and pushing your heart above 90% for an extended period of time you could do damage. When you are running, exercising etc. you should be able to carry on a conversation without getting out of breath or having to stop. If you can do that then you are perfect. You should stay in your target zone for at least 40 min. but doing small bursts that raise your heart rate above 85% is not bad...just make sure that they are small bursts and that you do them in intervals.

I can keep at convo at that pace.. At times I do push myself and try to get my heart rate up more for short periods of times... I think I will try to go longer than I have been. It just seems so easy. I always thought you had to be way out of breath to be having a workout hahaha I HATE being out of breath!! haha
  • johnjuba
    johnjuba Posts: 1
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your heart rate too much unless it is too high. Exercise to the point that you feel like you are getting a workout (i.e. breaking a sweat and breathing heavy). I like to do intervals on the elliptical: make sure resistance is enough that you need to work push hard to get through the peaks.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    eek the peaks are so hard!! Do you get more energy when you push through? Or do you remain just as tired? haha