What is wrong with this picture?!?

Options
I've lost 105 pounds in 14 months. I need to lose another 30 to be in a healthy place. Unfortunately, my weight loss has stalled for 3 months! No inches lost either so it's not that I'm tied to numbers on a scale.

I've been doing a fitness boot camp for 3 months and it has helped me get stronger. In the last month, I added C25K (three times a week) and in the last week, I've begun JM's 30 Day Shred.

All the above has increased my appetite but I still stay within 1400 -1500 calories a day and don't go below 1200.

I eat very clean foods and there's no cheating. I haven't entered my food in my diary for the past month so there's no point looking at it but I measure everything and know I'm doing that part right.

What is going on with my body and why has everything come to a standstill? It's the longest plateau I've ever experienced in weight loss, yet I'm working out, watching what I eat and apparently, doing the right things.

I do not take any medication nor do I have health issues that would cause this. My thyroid is fine as are hormones, etc.

Please help me out.

P.S. Since adding 30 Day Shred, I've actually gone UP by 3.5 pounds in 6 days :(

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? The scale isn't the best indicator of progress once you get on the smaller side.

ETA- just saw your hasn't lost inches. Maybe try logging again?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes my measurements haven't changed in a couple of months. I really don't know what to do to make this move along. I thought adding more workouts, having a couple of days of eating more calories, adding more rest days, etc. would help.

I experimented with all the above in the last month but nothing has worked so far. I hate to think that this is where my body feels "comfortable" because I really do need to lose the last 30 pounds for health, not vanity, reasons.
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I started 30DS my weight went up also. Almost 6 pounds almost immediately. On day 6 it started dropping again. You are right it is very disheartening to see the scale go up when you are working so hard.
    I always log in my food diary, it makes me know "I'm still doing it right" even when the scale doesn't move(satisfies my OCD too).
    Hang in there. We're all with ya!
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? And on a regular basis? It sounds like you aren't but sometimes you have to "fool" your body into thinking it is getting all of the allotted calories for weight loss PLUS the exercise calories for a couple of weeks and then drop back to the weight loss calories again.

The other thing you say is that you have been doing boot camp and JM 30 day shred and feel fitter and stronger. However, remember that muscle weighs MORE than fat, so your measurements may have gone down and your weight may have gone up.

Try eating the exercise calories back for a minimum of 2 weeks and then dropping back but log it ALL. Also, drink plenty of water - the "glasses" of water mentioned on here are 8 fluid ozs because they are based on the US pint, which is 16 fluid ozs, as opposed to the UK pint which is 20 fluid ozs.

Weigh yourself and do your body measurements at the beginning but DON'T do them again until the end of the 4 week period. This might just be enough to tip the balance for you.

If that fails, look carefully at your nutrients - salt retains water and also there is a lot of sugar, albeit natural fructose, in fruit, so sometimes cutting that down in favour of something with less sugar helps. And I am sure I don't need to mention alcohol - I have no idea if you drink any alcohol but it is packed full of empty calories. I do have a drink now and then but I log every time and have to sacrifice something else in order to do so (but I reckon it's worth it if you have a good quality wine!)

I'm losing weight for health reasons too, so you have my sympathy on this one! It is damned hard! (Especially in my case, as I have a medical problem which severely curtails my ability to exercise - but I do what I can when I am able).

Give it a try - and good luck!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Thank you! I will need the luck!

I doubt muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound no matter what you're comparing but muscle is more compact than fat so the body looks a lot better.

I eat back exercise calories to maintain my daily caloric intake. I don't do well on a 1200 diet because it leaves me with zero energy.

I drink 10 cups of water a day, sometimes 12. No sodas, coffee or alcohol of any kind. My eating is 100% clean with very little processed food ( a brown rice tortilla sometimes or a can of tuna).

I don't add much salt to my food because I don't enjoy the taste.

Maybe the gain is from 30DS. I took a break for two days from it as my boot camp instructor said I was running the risk off over working my muscles and needed some rest. I'll pick it up today.

I think I need some heavy lifting routine to jump start things. I just finished reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. It sounds a bit complicated to do on my own (attention to perfect form, adding on weights), but maybe that is a solution.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You haven't logged for a month and you haven't been losing weight for a month. I think it means you're overestimating your calories.
    Why don't you go back to entering everything you it and see if it helps with your weightloss?

Good luck!
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I haven't logged on MFP but I've logged all calories on a spreadsheet I use. Maybe I just need to wait it out or change the foods I eat. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and am determined to find a solution. Fortunately for me, quitting is rarely an option.

I will log in here too.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Just a thought, but why don't you try eating at maintenance for a while? A couple weeks maybe, just to give your body a break for a little while and see if that helps at all. I've taken breaks a few times and I often find that I lose more easily once I start eating at a deficit again after having eaten at maintenance.

Thanks! Sounds good. I will also be changing up my workouts in a couple of weeks so those two changes may help move things along.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged on MFP but I've logged all calories on a spreadsheet I use.

Hmmm. Someone else said that in a post last week. I didn't believe them, either. Sorry, but there it is.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Hmmm. Someone else said that in a post last week. I didn't believe them, either. Sorry, but there it is.

I do. I'm a diligent person and to cheat while writing a post, would be lying to myself. I see no benefit in that at all. It's very possible that after losing 106 pounds with no trouble, something has stalled. I've read it is normal.

I need suggestions on how to break through this. If you have any constructive ones I'd love to read them.
  • TaurusV
    Options
    Did you try changing your diet? Not calories but the pyramid structure? More protein instead of carb and fruits? Are you eating 20 min after this new exercise? After I started eating 2 egg white omelet max 20 min after exercise I noticed better results. :)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I haven't entered my food in my diary for the past month so there's no point looking at it but I measure everything and know I'm doing that part right.

What is going on with my body and why has everything come to a standstill? It's the longest plateau I've ever experienced in weight loss, yet I'm working out, watching what I eat and apparently, doing the right things.

I do not take any medication nor do I have health issues that would cause this. My thyroid is fine as are hormones, etc.

Please help me out.

hmm ...sorry the oracle is taking a break on the weekend, check back Monday :-)

in all seriousness essentially this is a rant after saying you are doing everything right and nothing happens and at the end you are asking people for advice. Anything anyone will be able to say i.e. maybe you are not logging correctly, you are going to reply 'yes I am' and there is no way for anyone but you to check whether that is true.

Somebody else said this on another post, but I am going to repeat it here. You body is keeping a very accurate diary of your calories in and out and it's saying you are not in a calorie deficit, which is why you are not losing weight.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well, you know that adding 30 Day Shred didn't add any bad weight :) Sometimes working out makes me more hungry, so do make sure you are logging accurately. I don't need proof, though, thanks :D:D

Your muscles are working harder, so increasing weight then is not uncommon at all. If you hadn't added more exercise I might wonder, but I don't think I'd worry about it yet.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    The weight gain from starting a new exercise program is most likely water retention as your sore muscles repair themselves from the trauma of being used. lol It'll disappear as you get stronger.

You say you're eating back your exercise calories? Maybe try only eating back 50% or 75% and see what happens. I agree with the other person that at some point a plateau becomes "you're eating at maintenance".
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    The weight gain from starting a new exercise program is most likely water retention as your sore muscles repair themselves from the trauma of being used. lol It'll disappear as you get stronger.

My boot camp trainer said the same thing earlier.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

in all seriousness essentially this is a rant after saying you are doing everything right and nothing happens and at the end you are asking people for advice. Anything anyone will be able to say i.e. maybe you are not logging correctly, you are going to reply 'yes I am' and there is no way for anyone but you to check whether that is true.

Somebody else said this on another post, but I am going to repeat it here. You body is keeping a very accurate diary of your calories in and out and it's saying you are not in a calorie deficit, which is why you are not losing weight.

No rant. Just looking for suggestions from those who have experienced something similar. I don't post a lot on this forum so I don't read many threads. My best bet would be to look up threads where posters have asked something similar and see what worked for them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Quoted for truff!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

No rant. Just looking for suggestions from those who have experienced something similar. I don't post a lot on this forum so I don't read many threads. My best bet would be to look up threads where posters have asked something similar and see what worked for them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Look, the reason for my post was that your original post has very little information in it.

It is impossible to tell what sort of calorie burns you are logging each day/week and whether you are eating your exercise calories back and if you do so then maybe you are overestimating the calories burned.

It is impossible to see whether your logging is as accurate as you claim or whether you measure instead of weigh, or whether you are not using accurate values for your food (I have seen people who log 2 pieces of toast with butter and jam for 100 calories and I wish I could get me some of that toast or butter, because mine is much higher).

Could it be water weight? Absolutely.

You have lost a whole heap of weight already and you say you need to lose another 30 to be in a healthy place, but it's hard to judge without real numbers of where you actually are. If you are still overweight then something is not working otherwise you would not have stopped losing weight. One thing I do want to say is that as you are nearing your goal weight or if you never had a lot to lose, there is less room for error. Anyway, good luck :-)
  • RedneckBoomer
    Options
    You might want to check labels, especially if you have recently changed brands. Look out for increased salt intake. Hormones ,age and gender can lock you in for periods of time. Check your scales They can go bad