a good lo-cal meatball recipe?

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been craving some spaghetti and meatballs, but I am afraid I only know high calorie meatball recipes.

I was hoping someone on here could suggest a low calorie meatball recipe that isn't too wacky and tastes like a traditional meatball.

Thanks!

Replies

• LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    check out sparkrecipe.com that's where I get all my recipes from and have found a low cal meatball one on there
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    the best way to keep your meatballs lean is to use a lean meat! Either extra lean ground beef, or a mixture of lean beef with ground turkey, lean pork or chicken - and make them small-ish. No need to totally change a recipe you love!
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    use lean ground turkey! turkey meatballs are great.. and if you use a scale, then you can just measure out the right portion ;-)
    I have the frozen ones right now, but they're pretty high in sodium. If I were to make them myself, I would add some breadcrumbs, an egg, minced onion, and whatever spices.. and then bake them ;-)
  • Chococat13
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions! I will check them all out--this helps a lot thanks!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    Maybe substitute part of the meat for quorn mince?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Here's a different kind of meatball recipe that I just found.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/turkey/spicy-hoisin-glazed-turkey-meatballs/

Ingredients
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1/4 cup diced red onion
    1/2 pound ground turkey
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons plain dried bread crumbs
    3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    Black pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    1/4 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce, or to taste
    Juice from 1/2 orange
    Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil and mist with cooking spray. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the onion and boil 1 minute. Drain in a sieve and let cool.
    In a bowl, combine onion with the turkey, egg white, bread crumbs, sesame oil, soy sauce and garlic powder. Season with the black pepper and stir until combined.
    Scoop out slightly rounded teaspoons of the turkey mixture, roll into 3/4-inch meatballs and place on prepared baking sheets. (Dampen hands before handling meatballs, as mixture will be sticky.)
    Whisk together the hoisin and sriracha in a small bowl. Spoon about 1/4 teaspoon of the glaze over each meatball. Place baking sheets in oven and bake until meatballs are just cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.
    Remove from oven. Preheat broiler; broil meatballs, watching carefully, until glaze is sizzling, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle orange juice over meatballs and transfer to a platter. Garnish with cilantro if desired, skewer with toothpicks and serve.

Servings Per Recipe 6 servings (about 30 meatballs)
    Calories106
    Total Fat (g)4
    Carbohydrate (g)8
    Fiber (g)1
    Protein (g)8
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You need to hvae a little fat in a meatball for it to taste like a meatballl. I have tried numerous times to make turkey balls and they come out dry and crumbly, not good. I use 98/2 ground beef when I make mine. I also use 1 egg, 1 TB of ketchup, 1/2 TB (1 tsp?) extra virgin olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, bread crumbs just enough to make it all stick together. Bake at 425 for about 24-30 minutes. Cooking time will depend on how big they are and how many are in a pan, usually they are done when they are firm but springy to touch.

If you want to experiment, I agree with the poster who recommended mixing meats. You can mix in pork, chicken, turkey, or any other ground meat or meat substitute you want until you find something that you love. Meatballs are very versitile and are an awesome way to experiment in the kitchen!
  • Gemstone3237
    Gemstone3237 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love your quote! lol