I'm looking for a good (and easy!) salmon recipe

Options
I'm thinking about making salmon fillets for lunch today, except I've never made salmon before. Any good ideas?

Replies

• dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Put it on a foil-lined pan. Season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dill (or any other herb if you don't have dill but dill works best IMHO). Broil it for 3 to 5 minutes, then turn it around and broil it for another 2 to 3 minutes depending on how well cooked you want it. You can Google to determine what time works best based on the thickness of your filet and how well done you want it. You can add fresh lemon juice if you have it but I like it just fine with or without that.
  • big_cowboy74
    big_cowboy74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Place salmon fillet skin side down on a baking sheet with foil. Brush salmon with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Knor Caldo de Tomate (Tomato Bouillon) and pepper. Bake on 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. My 8 year old daughter must have this twice a week. A few spears of asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper on the same baking sheet. A little brown rice and you have a great meal.
  • zsgirl1218
    zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm salmons my favorite! I usually just put it on some ton foil skin side down, brush a little bit of olive oil on it, and sprinkle some sea salt and pepper on. Then I cover it with tinfoil. I just stick it in the oven at 300 for a while bc cooking it at a lower temperature makes it not get dry. Then I normally cook up some couscous (Israeli pearl is my preference) and mic in a little bit of pesto into the couscous. Then I flake the salmon like tuna and put it on top!
    Another thing I do (not healthy at all) is put my homemade Cajun rub on it and broil it. Super good with some Broccoli that's been steamed. Salmons great bc you can do so many different things with it! My next goal is to figure out how to make salmon tacos... My favorite Alaskans made them for me and omg mouthwatering
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    A bit of oil in the frying pan, put in salmon, use a piece of fresh garlic peeled and minced or just crush it with the flat side of a big knife (or a good sprinkle of the powder), ginger, sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top, pour a cup of real orange juice over it, and let it cook without a lid until the salmon is just done. Add a bit more juice if it gets too dry, and serve over rice.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually just do several shakes of blackened seasoning and then cook at 400 degrees for about 12-15 minutes. Easy peasy!
  • tammythomas20
    Options
    My favorite...put salmon on foil,sprayed with Pam.lightly coat with olive oil, Sprinkle on some sea salt and regular Ms. Dash..you can add pepper , but Dash has it in it. Bake for 15-20 min on 400 degrees. Delish!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I like to go with salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground mustard, spray a frying pan and heat it up to med-hi, cook 3 minutes per side (the filets I get are usually a little over a half inch thick and I like it undercooked) and it's done. Maybe brush on some glaze as the skin side is cooking. I prefer to cook it in a pan because it is faster than the oven and you can tell by the color changing up the side when it is done so it doesn't overcook and get dry. I will toss a roll in the toaster oven and some frozen veggies in the microwave to cook while the salmon is cooking and in about 10 minutes I've got a well-rounded tasty meal that I didn't slave over.
  • zsgirl1218
    zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm salmons my favorite! I usually just put it on some ton foil skin side down, brush a little bit of olive oil on it, and sprinkle some sea salt and pepper on. Then I cover it with tinfoil. I just stick it in the oven at 300 for a while bc cooking it at a lower temperature makes it not get dry. Then I normally cook up some couscous (Israeli pearl is my preference) and mic in a little bit of pesto into the couscous. Then I flake the salmon like tuna and put it on top!
    Another thing I do (not healthy at all) is put my homemade Cajun rub on it and broil it. Super good with some Broccoli that's been steamed. Salmons great bc you can do so many different things with it! My next goal is to figure out how to make salmon tacos... My favorite Alaskans made them for me and omg mouthwatering
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    All these sounds amazing! Thanks so much :)
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I cook salmon A LOT and this is my favorite recipe:
    http://www.smokedngrilled.com/maple-spice-salmon-marinade/

So I marinated it overnight: 2 – 1# big pieces of salmon
    Then I baked it for at 400degrees for ~6minutes (depends on the thickness of your fillets).
    Then broiled it on High for ~6minutes, until brown/starting to char.
    Check it; The thick part should still be a bit raw.
    let it sit, or wrap it in foil for ~5mins and it should be perfect.

If you want, pour the marinade into a pot and cook/reduce it down into a thicker sauce, ~15minutes on med-high.
  • ladyzerlina
    Options
    This one's really easy!
    Take 1/4 tsp of sesame oil and rub it on the salmon
    Sprinkle salt

Spray a foil lined pan with cooking spray

Cook until the salmon is just fully done and the skin is crispy

Sprinkle with black sesame seeds
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Wrap it in parchment paper and bake.

I take the big (2-pound), cheap ($6.99!), frozen salmon fillet from Aldi's, put it skin-side-down on a sheet of parchment paper while still frozen, sprinkle salt and pepper and maybe dill on it, and cover it with a sliced lemon. Then I put a second sheet of parchment paper over the top, roll the edges together to seal, and bake it at 400F for about 1/2 an hour if I preheated the oven, 45 minutes if I didn't. If the edges won't stay rolled, you can crimp a strip of foil around them to keep them shut.

It's a little "over cooked" at that point but still very moist and tasty. Cheap frozen salmon can stand a bit of over cooking and it's even better cold if I then refrigerate it. If you thaw cheap frozen salmon before cooking and then try to delicately cook it, it can get mushy and fall apart.

The "rules" for more expensive, firm, fresh salmon are a bit different. This you don't want to overcook because it is so delicious lightly cooked. You can still do the parchment-paper-oven method but for less time.

Another trick to do with cheap frozen salmon is to coat it thickly, while still frozen, in a combination of smoked salt and brown sugar and then let it sit in the fridge for a couple days. Wash the salt off and eat it as is or lightly cook it for poor man's smoked salmon. It's great added to yogurt cheese on rye crackers or anyplace else you might use smoked/salted fish.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use either a small baking dish lined with foil or make a little dish out of foil - brush olive oil on salmon filets, then
    salt and pepper- skin on the upside or down or you can remove it - I like the skin and believe it has most of the omega 3's - some people don't. Bake around 15 minutes until there is no more deep red when forked. Delish!! and easy too!