Questions concerning the artificial sweetner debate.

Options
So I am completely on the fence about this kind of stuff..
I haven't been avidly drinking diet drinks for a long time; even before I started this journey of trying to lose weight. This was due to the concerns of artificial sweeteners.

But I am wondering about other things now? Like sugar free Jello? Or Stevia? Or Truvia? Is there anything that IS safe? Just curious.

I never ate it before.. but I was never on a diet either.. So now I feel it's something to consider?

Looking forward to the comments.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    There is no debate.

There is only:
    Scientific evidence proving the safety of artificial sweetener.

And:
    Sensationalist articles using vague correlations to demonize artificial sweetener.

If you're allergic to it, don't. If you aren't - do whatever.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    There is no debate.

There is only:
    Scientific evidence proving the safety of artificial sweetener.

And:
    Sensationalist articles using vague correlations to demonize artificial sweetener.

If you're allergic to it, don't. If you aren't - do whatever.
    ^^^^^
  • rhondamik
    rhondamik Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on diet sodas. ( I used to have an average of 3 or 4 a day; now I try to only have one, if any) I find that I am not as hungry as I used to be. I am not sure how much the reduction in diet soda has to do with it, but I need all the help I can get!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Some say they are safe, some say they may cause cancer and other problems in long run. The truth is that we don't know. Small amounts in short periods of time has indeed proven to be safe. But there has never been made any studies that can either prove or disprove these theories and how they effect people in long run, like for example over the course of 20 years. Could you avoid your cancer after 20 years if you haven't eaten them? Maybe... maybe not. It's up to you what you decide to believe in in this case. Personally I don't think they are more bad for your health that saturated fat, in fact I think saturated fat is even worse for your health in long run. That being said, I try to avoid both. Cos I'm a health nut like that.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Other than the usual Dr Oz findings linking artificial sweeteners to everything from cancer to heart disease I haven't seen any substantiated evidence to say it causes harm.