Disney Half Marathon

Options
Has anyone here ever run the Disney Half Marathon? I really want to run that next year. I will be running my first Half in March and would love to run my second one at Disney.

Just wanted to know what are your thought if you have done the race. And when does registration open for the next year?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Which park? Which race? There's actually several to choose from, at Disney World at least, that seem to have different courses. I've never run one, but my husband "promised" that if ever actually got the gumption to train for a half, he'd "let" me go to Disney! ;)

http://www.rundisney.com/ Check this out for race info, blogs and FAQ. I'm pretty sure there's a mom onthe Disney Mom's Panel that focuses solely on the Run Disney questions as well. Obviously, those things are Disney sites, so you're less likely to get the "bad" than the good, but maybe a place to start.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Thanks I will check it out, the one in California.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It sells out pretty quick, it's very popular. I was out there this last year (not running, I was on vacay) and I have been wanting to do it but it was sold out last I saw for 2014. I haven't followed up in a while, it may have changed. So make sure you sign up early is my advice!
  • bigzinga
    bigzinga Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland in Jan 2014. It will be my first half marathon. So excited! Will be more excited if I can finish it. :)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've never run at Disneyland, but I've run both a half and a full at Disneyworld. The events are definitely pricier than your typical race, but I'm a big fan. No one does logistics quite like Disney, so the races are very well organized; and, of course, there's entertainment (character greetings, bands, music, set pieces, etc.) all along the course. Not to mention that you get to run through the Disney parks themselves! As someone else said, they do sell out quickly, so keep your eye out on the rundisney.com website.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I ran both the 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon and the 2013 Disneyland Half Marathon. I had a blast at both. I don't think you can beat the thrill of running thru the parks. The races are expensive and they do sell in days. They are now offering challenges which are multi-race events so if you run a combination of races over a few days you get a special medal. The challenges are even more popular and can sell out in under an hour. I am scheduled to run Goofy's Race and a Half in January. This consists of the half on Saturday and the full on Sunday. Finish both and you get a special Goofy medal. They also have a new challenge this year which is the Dopey challenge. This is the 5k, 10k, half and full over 4 days. finish it and you get 6 medals. If you finish the Half in WDW and DL in the same year you finish the Coast to Coast Challenge and get a special medal.

The runDisney events really are terrific. On Facebook there is a terrific community of runDisney fans called Team runDisney. Over 2,000 runners who are all about runDisney events. At the various they have special meet-ups and events. Lots of really good folks.

There are a ton of videos on youtube that show in greater detail what the races are like but if you get the chance I would jump on signing up for a race.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    It sells out pretty quick, it's very popular. I was out there this last year (not running, I was on vacay) and I have been wanting to do it but it was sold out last I saw for 2014. I haven't followed up in a while, it may have changed. So make sure you sign up early is my advice!

WOW!! sold out for 2014 that is a bummer I may have to check
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I ran both the 2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon and the 2013 Disneyland Half Marathon. I had a blast at both. I don't think you can beat the thrill of running thru the parks. The races are expensive and they do sell in days. They are now offering challenges which are multi-race events so if you run a combination of races over a few days you get a special medal. The challenges are even more popular and can sell out in under an hour. I am scheduled to run Goofy's Race and a Half in January. This consists of the half on Saturday and the full on Sunday. Finish both and you get a special Goofy medal. They also have a new challenge this year which is the Dopey challenge. This is the 5k, 10k, half and full over 4 days. finish it and you get 6 medals. If you finish the Half in WDW and DL in the same year you finish the Coast to Coast Challenge and get a special medal.

The runDisney events really are terrific. On Facebook there is a terrific community of runDisney fans called Team runDisney. Over 2,000 runners who are all about runDisney events. At the various they have special meet-ups and events. Lots of really good folks.

There are a ton of videos on youtube that show in greater detail what the races are like but if you get the chance I would jump on signing up for a race.

WOW awesome they sound like a lot of fun and I really want to try them out