Feet hurt while on Elliptical

Options
I have got to the point where I can finally run 20-35 min on the elliptical but I cant run farther because my feet hurt so bad and they fall asleep. I run in my nike shoes but I am thinking maybe its time to go get some actual running shoes. Could that be the problem?

Replies

• Jules_1111
    Options
    I have the same problem! I just bought some gel insoles to see if they help. I was also wondering if maybe my feet are positioned wrong for the way my body moves. Planning on trying again tomorrow at the gym. It's so frustrating! Let me know if you find a fix! :happy:
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Are u running on a treadmill or on an elliptical?? Either way, yes you may need new shoes...my Nike shox were literally killing my ankles..I have free runs and lunar glides now..much much better!!!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I just bought some gel insoles to see if they help. I was also wondering if maybe my feet are positioned wrong for the way my body moves. Planning on trying again tomorrow at the gym. It's so frustrating! Let me know if you find a fix! :happy:

I got insoles for the shox I mentioned above and they just fit worse :( maybe u will have better luck though!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The consistent pressure (with no lift off the pedals) causes the foot to fall asleep. Try lifting them off occasionally to relieve the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Does this problem occur on any other piece of equipment or during any other exercise, or just on the elliptical? If it's only on the elliptical that your feet hurt, I would assume it's the machine (or the way you position your body on the machine) rather than your shoes. You might want to do a test walking on the treadmill to see if the pain happens there too.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    if I remember right, you're supposed to replace running shoes every 600 miles. In your case, I think a new pair may just help.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    when i am on the arc trainer for more than like 40mins my feet start to go numb..well my toes actually..its very weird..
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The consistent pressure (with no lift off the pedals) causes the foot to fall asleep. Try lifting them off occasionally to relieve the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

This is what I was told and I was also told that people typically lean more on their toes so to try not to do that as much. It totally helped me and my feet stopped going numb! :)
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    All I do is run on the elliptical because thats what I have at home. But I am thinking I do want to get some actual running shoes since I am committed to actually sticking with this ;) I am running my 1st 10k in May. :0
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I do try this every so often, it helps some but not as well as Id hope.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can not use the elliptical - it makes my poor feet go numb after only a short time (usually 10 mins or less). I've tried everything - different shoes, different socks, different machines, different resistance and it ALWAYS happens, so I gave up on it. I prefer the treadmill anyway as I feel off balance on the elliptical.
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^^^ This...

I've had this problem for years, I have changed shoes countless times, it doesn't work.
    Just try and lifting them and putting up with the pins and needles :ohwell:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I do try this every so often, it helps some but not as well as Id hope.

I had this problem also. Feet kept falling asleep. Just started lifting my heals for a little while. And then lifting my toes for a while. Every time I tried to lift my whole foot I would loose rhythm and almost fall off. I dont really even notice it anymore I just kind of bounce along like im running without lifting my feet off the pedals.
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I've never had that problem, but it does seem like a shoe problem and I tend to shift my weight sometimes from toe to heel while working the elliptical. It seems to help me. Good luck!
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Elliptical training for long periods can be detrimental to joint function. You are keeping your foot in a fixed position but as you bend and extend your knees there is a rotational force going on as well due to the structure and function of your joints at the knee. There are gliding and rotational forces happening in your ankles, hips and the various joints in your feet as well. A good analogy to using the elliptical and keeping your body weight full on your feet would be that of standing in cement and trying to twirl around. Lift your feet to lock and unlock the joints and allow freedom of movement in the other joints a well. If you still have difficulty, try doing a circuit of 10 to 15 minutes of various cardio machines such as treadmill, stepper, AMT, rowing machine, bike, wave or what ever you may have if you are in a gym setting or, if at home, do intervals of stepping on stairs.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread. I have problems with my feet getting sore on the elliptical after only 5 minutes. Always thought it was my weight, but I can hike for hours without this problem.

Will try the advice in this thread and lift my feet once in a while.