A question to All who have lost weight

Options
hi to all,
a question to all people who have lost weight succesfully
does it really matter how many carbs, protein and fat do we eat.
i mean we live in different countries and we have our own foods.
so i see a lot of people advocating low carbs.
i dont have enough budget to replace my carbs with protein and fats.
i am especially concerned about bread.
i have hypothyroidism if that matters.
and if bread/carbs are bad for me is there any medical test that can be carried out to know this!!
Need proper guidance

Replies

• Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    need help
  • Rai007
    Options
    Some one!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Where are you? If you're worried about bread, then there are usually gluten free options. If you want to know if you are sensitive to gluten, you have to go to a doc and have blood tests done.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different schools of thought on this one. Some say that what they eat makes a huge difference, others say it doesn't matter. For me, personally, increasing my proteins and fats have helped because I feel more full and satisfied on the same number of calories, so it's easier to stick to my goal.
  • klerato
    Options
    Hi Hinarai, I think you have to determine what is going to be the best method for you. Yes many people do low carb,Some do not.
    (Me) Some members use the iiym system(please correct me if I have the acronym incorrect).
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Perseverance, dedication, and commitment.

Eat only what you need, not what you want. Get some physical activity.
    It brought me from 260 to 190

Now I'm here because I need to really track what I eat for me to loose those last 15 lbs.

I didn't follow any 'fad' diet. I ate all sorts of meals. Just don't lie to yourself about how much you are taking in.
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Even gluten free bread has carbs. Is bread a trigger food for you? Balance is the key. Calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. Pick foods that are healthy. Healthy doesn't "have" to be expensive. Do you have trouble getting fruits and veggies where you are?
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    White bread is digested quickly and causes a big insulin spike, which means you get hungry again sooner & can mean that fat gets stored more readily if you've had a big meal. White bread and even white rice are almost like eating sugar or candy- just refined carbs. It's better to eat whole grains, or whole grain bread if that's all you have- it keeps your blood sugar levels more steady, which means you feel fuller longer, don't have energy crashes, and it'll probably be easier to stick to your diet.

if white bread is all you have, you could still lose weight eating it- you just have to be very careful with portions, and you'll probably be hungrier so it might be harder to stick to your diet. If you have blood sugar problems though, white bread will always be a bad choice because you'll get a blood sugar spike and then a drop, which can be dangerous for hypoglycemics. Best to eat lots of vegetables, protein, and whole grains to control your hypoglycemia AND to lose weight.

As for the expense? I don't know what country you're in so maybe this doesn't apply, but brown rice and dried beans are very cheap in the U.S. So are cans of tuna fish and tofu, for protein. Buy whatever vegetables are on sale and form meals around that.
    Best of luck to you!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I switched to wheat when I came here & started exercising 60 minutes a day. MFP will tell u how many calories/carbs u can have per day & if u are lower then that is great. Don't forget a rest day & eat your exercise calories back!
  • gutierrezg1990
    gutierrezg1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If bread is important to you, ration it and buy wheat bread instead. It's slow digesting and keeps you fuller longer.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Balance is good.
  • Angecus
    Angecus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've tried every low carb diet there is. Now I just count calories and do to the gym 4 days a week and I've lost 13 pounds (in 3 weeks). I think for many people the HFLC way of eating works, but so do diets like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig that don't restrict carbs so much. I'm going to continue eating what I want as long as there's no junk and I stay at 1200 calories/day. When I feel deprived eliminating most of a certain food group (or eliminating things I love), I end up binge-ing on anything and everything.

My problem is and has always been portion control. I can eat enough food for 3 people in one sitting without a second thought - and still not get full. I realize that rather than try and find a diet that allows certain unlimited foods (HFLC, raw vegan, cabbage soup, etc) to accommodate my portion issues, I have to train myself to eat a smaller amount. It's been over a week and I'm doing pretty well.

So eat what you like while keeping within a certain number of calories. Being frustrated about what foods are available to you will only hinder your progress. Get some activity in every day, too. Good luck!!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You have to test things to out see FOR YOURSELF. Listen to YOUR BODY.

You can take suggestions on what can work for others, see if it works for you.

I myself find BEST a calorie deficit, in that I let MFP decide how many calories it would take to lose 2 pounds a week.. When i budget my calories - no matter what that food is - i lose weight. I can eat before bedtime. I can eat carbos. its calories.

Now, i have had to adjust a few things for me. I choose not to eat a lot of fast food because I am tempted to eat too much of it. I have to not stuff myself with too much food at restaurants, but my appetite wont let me eat a dinner portion at a restauant. When i go out to eat, i try to eat the food that has the best nutrition and the least fattening ingredients. This seems to be making me lose 2 pounds a week which is wonderful. Im not exercising much. I should do more, and Im starting to. But im doing this mostly on calorie reduction. If i really want something decadant I have it. but it has to be really something decadant.. i wont waste my calories on stupid stuff like cheetos. it has to be something really good like a gourmet cupcake with 2 inches of frosting, or lobster dinner, or my fave taco stand down the street.
  • susanhope3532
    Options
    I haven't followed any fad diet, I have cut back on white rice, white bread and only have them rarely. I just found that they didn't keep me full for very long and weren't worth the amount of calories in them. I try to eat a few carbs and protein with every meal because I like a balanced diet but try to stick to low fat alternatives if I can. I have cereal every morning and go for high fiber wholegrain ones as they keep me full for ages. I eat loads of fruit and veg. I must be doing something right as I've lost 7 stone.
    It's trial and error really, If I eat something and I'm hungry again an hour later, I'm not likely to bother eating it again and I find that to be the case with bread and rice but not potatoes. My mother is trying to lose weight and she's always eating white toast and complaining that she's starving. I'd rather have the equivalent calories in a bowl of shreddies or muesli and not be hungry for a few hours.
  • ldhfcrew
    Options
    I am hypothyroid as well and have been through the nightmare of figuring out the diet that is best for me. Every person is different and there are many factors that have to be considered when determining which program is best - genetics, body type, medical conditions, etc. When I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, it seemed like I gained 35 pounds overnight. Having always been petite and thin, this was not going well for me. I have a family history of hypothyroidism and all of my relatives who are diagnosed as such have also been diagnosed as clinically obese. I was NOT going to be a victim of this. Knowing that many dietary aids are not recommended for individuals who are hypothyroid, I knew I had to rely on diet and exercise to meet my fitness goals. I had the best luck following a low carb, high protein diet - and am very strict about eating my carbs early in the day so that they are burned off by my activity throughout the day. I also rely heavily on my pedometer - I force myself to have at least 10,000 steps each day as well as some sort of cardio/strength training 4-5 days out of the week. It is hard work, but this program has been successful for me. Remember though - what works for me, may not work for others.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I've been fine just making sure i eat under my calorie, carbs, fats goals :o and keeping my fibre, protein nice and high :o
  • Rai007
    Options
    I live in Pakistan.
    fruit is expensive, and most of the vegetables are cooked in oil here.
    i would love to have more fruits and fish. but both of them are expensive in my country.
    i dont eat white bread but i chose whole grain or bran bread.
    and i eat chicken and eggs.

all this food is much cheaper in developed countries i have heard.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I still eat carbs, and I'm doing fine. I don't go crazy or anything eating every carb, and I did switch to wheat bread, but I'm not giving anything up completely. I upped my proteins because I'm on a high protein diet due to health issues, but I have no reason to go completely low carb.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Work with what you have and don't stress about it! For weight loss it's calories in vs calories out that determines if you lose, how much you lose. You can successfully create a deficit eating anything....however how you feel and how satisfied you are, well that will depend a great deal on how nutritious your choices are.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I go with the approach of "unless you have a medical condition that requires watching/eliminating certain nutrients, all food is good". Other than having high blood pressure, I don't have any medical issues so I eat what I want and try to keep my sodium below 2300mg a day. If I didn't have HBP, I wouldn't give a crap about sodium and keep on enjoying my foods.