25 and Losing Alot

Options
Who I Am: My name is Tara. I'm 25 years old, single, no children, two cats. My life is uncomplicated. I'm currently in between jobs while I work to get my teaching license. In the meantime, my wonderful family is pulling together to help me get through this phase of my life.

Where I've Been: I've been overweight my whole life. I was a chubby kid. For a few years in high school I was in shape because I was very active, but for the most part, I've been round and fairly content with my shape and size for the last 20+ years. Now I'm dangerously overweight, it is affecting my health and I know the diseases that loom ahead if I don't change my habits. I've finally learned to admit that I have an addiction to food; that my attitude towards eating is unhealthy and obsessive. It took my wonderful older sister to help me see this. She started seeing a doctor about her weight and health concerns a few months ago and has lost 70 pounds. She was the one who inspired me to go the same route.

Where I Am Now: Yesterday I saw a physician about getting my weight under control. I weighed in at 312 lbs. He assigned me 1,200 calories per day, with absolutely no liquid calories. I'm going to miss my Dr. Pepper.

Where I'm Going: My goal weight is 175lbs. I hope to achieve this by the end of December 2014. That is a loss of 137lbs in 15 months. I know I can do this. My stubborn nature is finally going to come in handy. I'm lucky enough to have a sister who is doing the same thing with me. I'm going to be healthy, for me, for my family, for my future family.

I would normally ask you to wish me luck, but I've decided that luck favors the prepared. So, stand back and watch me work.

Replies

• spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I don't have that much to lose but I on here daily and can help motivate you. I really think you have a great attitude!
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! And what a great attitude you have.. If you plan on exercising I would advice you to eat back your calories since 1200 is the lowest you should go as a woman cutting calories.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hear you girl! Yeah! Add me if you want to. It's a lot easier -when you have a support system -to stick with it.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    we are the same age, have the same goal weight, the same amount of cats, we are starting around the same weight, both have dark hair, WE SHOULD BE FRIENDS!!
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What a lovely introduction to who you are. My advice to you is to get friends on here who help motivate you to keep going. However, if they are going to motivate you, then you need to motivate them as well. Comment on others achievements and status changes. It really helps both sides. Keep yourself focused, and you'll accomplish your goals! I'll be sending you a friend request.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! It is much easier to lose those excess pounds while you are young and healthy. I am here every day and I would be glad to help motivate you!!
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! Added, can't wait to see your progress and cheer you on :)
  • List_Ninja
    Options
    Thanks so much. I could really use the motivation. It's so much easier when it feels like a team effort. You look like you're doing fabulous. Keep up the good work and thanks for the kind words.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Lots of water/herbal teas/some tea and coffee/ and the odd diet soda will get you through it.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You've come a long way in a short period of time.

WebMD says where you have to lose 100 pounds or more, you should break it up into 20 pound increments. This advice has helped stay the distance. Every 20 pounds WW says to give yourself a gift (non food items). It works. A manicure, a message or a new pair of jeans helps a lot.

I know you can do this!!

Good luck on getting your teacher's license; I want one too!!
  • Jolie_K
    Jolie_K Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good luck and I love your attitude :) Add me if you want :)
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome aboard the weight loss train! lol

Fantastic mentality you have there! Very eager to see your progress.

They say if you have a big enough why, the how will take care of itself!!

All the best!!!!
    Via
  • soapyapples
    Options
    I would normally ask you to wish me luck, but I've decided that luck favors the prepared.

I ♥ this.
  • lynnymcc
    Options
    Hi there
    Feel free to add me too! I honestly feel 1200 is waaaay too low! I realize there are MANY opinions on here about yay/nay in regards to eating 1200 calories per day, however, you are 312 lbs right now. What happens in 10 months when you hit a plateau?(you may not, just saying, maybe) then you will decrease your calories even more...way too low!
    I know your doctor has set this amount for you, but honestly, I would see a nutritionist and go with what they say or plug in your numbers to lose 1.5 lbs a week and see what your daily calories should be from this site.
    I am speaking from experience, I have done the 1000 cals a day and lost a crazy amount of weight AND fast...but I was starving, miserable and i was losing muscle, NOT FAT! Nor did that teach me a lifestyle change...it taught me "diet"...which meant, after not sticking to my 1000 cals, I gained IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL back!
    So, rather looking at this as a "diet, eating 1200 cals a day, and to lose weight by next christmas, I suggest, eat more calories, so you feel satisfied and lose weight at the same time...making sure you are in a healthy calorie deficit.
    I am 5'6" and I eat 1700 cals a day...my first week I lost 5 lbs and my 2nd week I lost 4.5. I realize everyone loses differently at different times, amounts, etc...all I am saying is rethink the 1200 cals...you will feel starving a alot of the time and that just sets people up for disaster!
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    [quote

I would normally ask you to wish me luck, but I've decided that luck favors the prepared. So, stand back and watch me work.
    [/quote]

Great attitude!!!! Now go get it!
  • DeedeeMay81
    Options
    Great attitude, love it!
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Who I Am: My name is Tara. I'm 25 years old, single, no children, two cats. My life is uncomplicated.

So, stand back and watch me work.

Authoritayye!! lol