Rubbing off on the family

eabrown1
eabrown1 Posts: 25
edited September 22 in Success Stories
I moved back in with my family about two months ago. My parents are not healthy, they eat poorly- restraunt and fast food everyday. When I moved out for college 5 years ago I instantly lost weight just from not eating the crap they do. When I moved back home I said "not going to happen". I refused to eat fast food everyday, my mind saw me ballooning up past my high school weight again. As a trade off I volunteered to cook (cook is a four letter word in our house) dinner everyday. I've been cooking low cal for them for a little over a month. My mom went to the doctor today and has lost TEN pounds since I moved home. No exercise, just diet change. Now if I can just get them to go to the gym with me!

I'm really excited.

Replies

• suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Good job! Keep being the change, I wish I could do that for my family.
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Thank is fantastic. Obviously they are enjoying the meals you are making so eating healthy food is not the issue. Maybe she will enjoy her new-found weight loss and start watching her eating-out meals too.

Perhaps you can get them to go for an after dinner stroll with you. Start off slow and enjoyable for them and gradually increase the walk speed or distance. When your mom sees this is not so hard, maybe then she will try the gym with you.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    that is awesome, I hope your family goes to the gym soon
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    cooking is almost always better than eating out! Good for you and for your family!!
  • That is so cool!! What a great gift to give your parents - their health back. I wish I could move back in with my parents and do the same for them... ugh. They eat out all the time too, even though my mom loves to cook. However, all of us (5 girls) have grown up and started our own families so she doesn't like to cook for 2. SIGH... just unhealthy.

Keep up the good work :) don't preach.. just lead by example.. lol.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    That's awesome! Me and my sister are on the same journey, but she's almost finished with hers. lol When I talk to my mom about it, she sounds very envious. The first time I mentioned losing inches, she asked me what diet I was on, and I told her that I'm just watching my calories and exercising and she sounded disappointed. She doesn't want to do the work, but she wants to enjoy the results. *tsk tsk* Keep doing what you're doing!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    My mom was the one who started eating right and she lost 90 pounds. A couple years later, that inspired me to do the same. My 2 sisters still has their bad habits and I hope in time they can join in..:)
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    thats so great that u were able to do that for them. i tell my mom all the time if i were to live w u would totally be changed. i hate when i go eat with them and i see all the junk she orders its ridiculous everything is fried!!! then she asks me well what should i get those are the only sides i like which was fries n fried onion strings (barf) i said ummm the vegatable mix or brocolli or a side salad geeez its not that hard. ohhhhh but she doesnt like vegatables!! what!?!? then i asked her when u would cook u would make veggies and she said she only did that bc my dad liked them n she never ate them. i was amazed thank god my dad liked them if not i would have prolly been wayyyyyy heavier than when i was in high school. so crazy. ohh and she has diabetes so umm if she were to eat better she could prolly stop taking all her shots n pills that she has to take. im so sad bc my dad has lung cancer as well and it doesnt help that their diet is basiclly just going to make them worse n worse till the end comes. grrrr it gets me sooo mad n frustrated w them. theyre my parents n they are not setting a good example for me which doesnt matter anymore im an adult and have the common sense now but reallly come on. my mom is all about the quick fixes too and its ridiculous.
  • nosidda
    nosidda Posts: 14 Member
    You are great to commit to doing that for your family. The world needs more people like you helping others even when they may not be looking for it. One of my main reasons for tring to get my health together is for my family. I have really been struggling with them wanting to make the change with me and you have inspired me to focus on one little thing that could benefit both them and me. Thank you for the post, congratulations on helping your family!:smile:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!