I have a roomate that doesn't stop eating!

Options
We've already designated me a bottom drawer in the refrigerator. But nothing seems to help. I really don't want to have to buy my own fridge. I need ideas on low carb foods that I can keep in my room. She will eat 6 fried eggs in one sitting, so I've tried keeping her out of the eggs. It's not working. I've stayed away from the bread so she can eat her 4 sandwiches like she normally does to keep from my eggs. It seems the more food I buy, the more she eats.

How do I keep counting calories or anything? When I know if I don't hide it she will eat it all...... I really don't have room for the fridge in my room. But if it comes down to it I will. I really want to work it out before I go all into ***** mode.

Replies

• gutierrezg1990
    gutierrezg1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Buy a mini fridge, prepare your meals for the week in one day, store them in containers, you won't need that much room to store the food this way
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    How about you each buy your own food?
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think you're gonna have to talk this one out with her. Maybe she doesn't realize how much this bothers you. Tell her that you want to be able to leave things in the fridge and find them there when you are ready to use them. I hate to think you have to buy a dorm fridge to hide your food. Having/ being a roommate is hard... be honest and see if you can come to an agreement. Are there things you don;t mind sharing? Does she share some things with you? Make one shelf a place to store community items, one shelf for you, one shelf for her. Or maybe shop together and split the cost? That one is difficult because of course you both don't eat equal amounts... but at least you might feel it was more of a fair deal. Anyway, good luck and try not to let this ruin a friendship!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Poison your food, its the only way!

But seriously, talk to her.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Do you guys do a communal shop? If so you need to part ways. I'm a house-share veteran (hopefully now all in the past), and that never works out. Buy your own food, she buys hers. If she still keeps eating yours explain politely why you are unhappy. If it doesn't work, buy your own fridge and put a lock on it.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Poison your food, its the only way!

But seriously, talk to her.

haha! Yea i guess the best thing is to communicate and lay down some boundaries!
  • SaraAnnR81
    Options
    I agree, I think talking to her will be the only solution. If you aren't already buying your own food, then definitely start making that change. Maybe start labeling everything? Time intensive but to the point.

I think adding a padlock to your drawer in the fridge might be a bit extreme, not to mention a bit tricky, but if all else fails... ;)

Good luck!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Are you the only one buying food? If so, you need to re-evaluate your relationship.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How about you each buy your own food?

^this and threaten to kill her if she touches yours. It is your food!
  • MalloryMelts
    MalloryMelts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. we talk about it a lot. It became an issue when she still does it no matter what. I buy food 3weeks out of each month. She draws food stamps and when she buys groceries, its junk. It's more complicated than just buying our own food. I thought about getting a plastic box to put my things in with a lid. Part of me wants to lock it up. Lol but that's how much it gets to me. I will figure it out. I appreciate all the ideas.