Can you lose weight from thigh and wide hips?

Can you lose weight from legs and thighs just by dieting and without excercising? I have been dieting since one month now and my face and my upper body has gone thin but now my thighs seem to look more big compared to half my body. I do cardio like 3,4 times a week. But do i really need to workout for losing thigh fat? Can't i lose it by only eating less?

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    If you are pear shaped (I am) you will naturally lose from the upper body before you lose from the lower. You lose through a deficit of calories, not through exercise, though exercise will make the results look better. It took a while before I could see a difference in my butt and thighs, even when the measuring tape (once a month) said there was a difference. Are you taking measurements? It can help for peace of mind.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Hi yes you can lose it without exercise if you keep eating at a calorie deficit. Everybody stores their fat in different places.. for some it's the stomach, for others it's the thighs... Some lose it evenly, others have a place on their body which is 'the last to go'.

However if you exercise as well the weight will come off more quickly plus you can tone up your muscles and get smaller that way.

All the best & well done for your weight loss so far. :smile:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    You'll lose fat where you lose it, in the general order that it comes off. It will come off your hips and thighs eventually, but you may always carry some body fat there when you're at a healthy weight. I do, for sure. You might feel better about your natural proportions if you exercise, have strong hips and thighs, and notice that, hey, a lot of people, men included, like those lower body curves.

P.S. Exercise keeps everything looking perky. Even thin people can sag.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Incorporating lower body strength training is a great idea as well. Do a forum search "supah bulky" and you'll find several threads of women who's measurements have decreased (with picture evidence) after they implemented a heavy lifting program, even pear shaped ladies like yourself.

Edit to say that a calorie deficit is required no matter your training program if you want to see decreases in body fat.
  • Thanks guys for your replies. Really appreciate your answers. I will try to workout as well and keep the calories in mind. Thanks.