Thanksgiving is almost upon us

Options
Hello,

Canadian Thanksgiving is in two weeks. I just started my diet and this is the first celebration that I will ever have on a diet. Usually at thanksgiving I get together with a bunch of friends and we have a potluck of a bunch of tasty food. I am reading a weight loss book that says when you are traveling or going to a big celebration to plan ahead how you will avoid over-eating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not overeat at big food-centered celebrations?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's one day of many....just enjoy yourself. I started all of this last Setptember...made it through Thanksgiving and Christmas enjoying my feast and still lost 40 Lbs...it's one day of many days. BIG PICTURE not minutia.
  • lizzy32
    lizzy32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is help full if you have water before you go and a nice health snack to avoid over eating and if it is a potluck bring one of your fav dishes so you that there is aleast one thing you can have also look at all the dishes before you take anything and take small portion and do not go back for seconds also if you can take gum to chew on also it may help you :happy:
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest planning out your meals for the day as best you can. I understand that this can be hard to do when you're at a potluck and don't know what people are going to be bringing. If you can, ask around to see what people are going to bring so you can think about what you really want to eat more than other things. Also, getting in a workout before you go will give you some extra calories to work with. Also, remember that it's just one day and if you overeat that it's not the end of the world.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I began this in May of 2012 and was also concerned about over eating during the holidays. It's been over a year and as another poster said - Thanksgiving is one day. Eat some of everything you like. Go for a walk that afternoon. The next day get back on plan. Thanksgiving and Christmas is not what made me gain weight - the other 363 days did. Enjoy your life.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting can keep you in an overall weekly deficit.
    http://rippedbody.jp/2011/11/22/how-to-use-intermittent-fasting-to-eat-like-a-king-and-keep-your-abs-this-holiday-season/

basically 3 strategies:
    1) do (2) 24hr fasts in the week following the feast
    2) do (1) 40hr fast following the feast
    3) do (1) 40hr fast leading up to the feast

and during the feast, fill up on protein and veggies first, then hit the carbs a la potatoes, bread, sugar, etc.

Also, having a full-body glycogen-depleting workout the morning before the feast will minimize fat storage.

Don't weigh yourself the day after, carbs/sodium retain water so you'll have some initial water weight gain, but it should be back to normal within the week.
  • Italiangrey
    Options
    definitely not cranberry sauce, thats all i have to say
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My stomach has shrunk and I wont be able to eat more than one plate of food. Hopefully i will be able to do portion control. Im counting on it.
  • amusecruise
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice and putting it in perspective!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    EAT TURKEY! :D yes. And again in the morning!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ummm...enjoy everything, and don't overeat. That is your life now.
    Or, pig out, and make up for it next week. Either way, enjoy your holiday. I know I will.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging as best I can often helps me stick to a plan and keep from over-eating. That and remembering how much I hate the way I feel when I do occasionally eat too much - not guilt or anything, just the discomfort! :tongue:

If there are traditional foods that people are likely to bring, lof as best you can and try to stick with that you planned for, making adjustments to your diary at the end of the day as needed. Keep a bottle or glass of water handy at all times and drink up!

And as others have said, if you do go over, no stress - it's one day. :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've never been at a holiday celebration yet that they force fed you. Use portion control and make good choices. You don't have to over eat to enjoy yourself. Enjoy the company, savour a bit of the things you like and feel good about your day.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I would just have smaller portions and alternate wine and water :-)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    since i lollygagged all summer im gonna be in the same boat as you. if this is a lifestyle change for you do as others hve suggested and allow urself the one day to enjoy and just focus on the big picture. in my case im hunkering down again harder starting now and so my plan for our thanksgiving which is weeks away would be if i were bringing a side to bring plain green beans with toppings for others to add like bacon mushroom sauce fried onions almonds etc. i would eat a big salad right before going and a coffee on the way. try having a big appetite after that. then i would fill half my plate with my plain green beans and claim to LOVE them like that and a 4th the plate turkey and the other 4th a roll or stiffing or mashed potatoes whichever looks tastiest. then i would eat mostly the green beans and dabble in the other stuff. if dessert got pushed on me i would gracefully accept...but ask for coffee with it. then i would focus on the coffee act so full and ask to take it home with me and finish my coffee and leave right away. no napping and waking up for seconds. i would work that dessert into the next days cals and since my diet allows a full meal like i just describd i would have stayed on course without starting a dialogue about my weight loss plans in front of family or in laws which i dont know who is worse anymore.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No it's really not. At all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    focus more on being lucky enough to spend the holidays with your family and friends, than the food situation. The more you focus on the food part, the more it will become the most important part of the day - and it should never be :heart: good luck!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No it's really not. At all.

I guess you don't live in Canada?

I don't, I should have paid more attention, my bad. Enjoy guys
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to just save all my calories for the meal/leftovers -- that's about 1000 for the meal itself and 500 for a late-night leftover party. I don't honestly think I'll eat anywhere near that, but if I want to I'll be able to. And if I go over by a few hundred? Meh. It's one day. Even if I ate up to maintenance (about 2300) I wouldn't gain. (For that matter, even if I ate something ridiculous like 3000 calories I wouldn't gain more than a few ounces.) After the holiday I'll plan my daily meals around leftovers for a week or so because... seriously, turkey and cranberry sauce and cornbread stuffing are not terrible foods to eat, and I love them.

Don't stress about it much. Make sensible choices, sure, but make sure to give yourself plenty of room to enjoy the holiday and the food. Bring a food scale if you want to watch your portions, check in with yourself periodically to see how you're feeling ("Am I starting to feel stuffed? Do I still really have room for pie or should I wait a little while?"), and don't forget the wine. ;)