starting Medifast tomorrow

Options
Hi, I am Liz. I am starting Medifast tomorrow. Is anyone else on Medifast? please, add me as a friend...would love to share info and support.

Replies

• OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it October 1st - I'll add you as a friend if I can figure out how :D
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi did Medifast for a few weeks, until I figured out that I had a very bad reaction to too much soy. Technically, even though I am not on medifast, I still use many of the principals I learned while doing medifast!!! If you'd like to add me feel free as I am on this site most days!!

There is also a wonderful forum site called Takeshapeforlife. You can register there and post in both places, as they have some really wonderful tips and ideas on what to do with lean and greens, preparing packets of food, etc!!

Congratulations on starting your new lifestyle!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Eat clean
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why are you on MFP then? This is not a site for mumbo jumbo diets.
  • MrsRaia
    MrsRaia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Be for-warned. Too much soy messed badly with my hormones. I didn't have a good experience at all. But good luck!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I'm starting it October 1st - I'll add you as a friend if I can figure out how :D

With 15 pounds to lose, why would you resort to such an extreme diet? I'm being completely sincere (not snarky) in my question.
  • SaraAnnR81
    Options
    Congrats on taking a positive step toward a healthier you!

I did Medifast for about 5-6 months in 2010 and lost 65+ pounds. I've since gained it back by making poor choices but have recently started using MFP to keep track of my intake and, so far so good, down about 8lbs. (LONG way to go but progress is progress!). While I'm not exclusively using Medifast products I am supplementing with left over meals I have on hand and am definitely still using some of the principles the program taught me. Limiting carbs to less than 100g has always been the key for me, I never had the issues with soy that some of the others who have posted here have had but it is definitely something to keep an eye on. It is normal to feel kinda crappy for the first couple of days while your body adjusts to the differences in sugar and calorie intake and transitions into ketosis but that should go away - if you are still not feeling well after a couple of weeks on plan then you could be having a negative reaction and I would recommend contacting your doctor just to be sure it is the right program for you.

In regard to those making negative comments about her using Medifast - everyone is different - some people thrive and do better on structured programs, some prefer to go another route like paleo or "whole foods" - it is not our job to judge the way others try to reach their goals. We all deal with enough judgement being overweight - we don't need negativity toward each other on here just because you don't agree with what program another uses. Keep it positive!

Welcome and good luck!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not intending to be rude, but meal replacements don't teach you how to eat "normally" and aren't really sustainable longterm ...

ETA: Deprivation can lead to binging ...
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Medifast is a good program. It was/is used by many physicians but it is very strict and calorie controlled. It works quite well and there is a transition phase that helps you transition into "normal food". Many people have lost with it and kept it off , many people have fallen off the wagon just like here.
    I find it very irritating when people start judging posters that chose to go a different route than they might have chosen. Not all meal replacement plans are equal and just because the OP is not counting calories the way many of us do does not mean that she is on a mumbo jumbo diet or has no right to be on these forums. This is just plain rude.
    Anyway, you Medifasters good luck on your journey , the first few days are hard, but you will be very successful if you have patience and the stamina to stick with it.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You naysayers need to look at the website. some of their food is gorgeous. Take a gander at this

chocolate mint crunch bars

64905-lg.jpg

110 cals a pop.

yum diddly umptious.

Having said that, I would not be able to stop at one. There are 7 in a box, therefore that is 77o cals for me...

I am getting my best result out of counting calories, and eating normal foods, and if I want chocolate, I have to save up the cals for it. I think it's very easy to lose touch with just how calorific chocolate and biscuits are, and I'm having to relearn just how rarely I ought to be eating them. I'd hit a point when I was eating about 200g chocolate a day... Heh.
  • sinoodle
    sinoodle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did medifast for 6 weeks (very strict, no cheating) , lost about 30 lbs, and it all came back like a raging torrential flood. Medifast is not the answer, believe me, MFP is 1,000,000x better (lifestyle, not diet). At about 6 weeks, I snapped, over Pita and hummus, and then it was all over. Had I being doing MFP, there would be no cravings, because you can eat what you want.
  • Mahonmc
    Mahonmc Posts: 2
    Options
    MFP AND medifast will help you stay on track when you fall off track
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    welcome, I don't follow medipass but you are more then welcome to add me. :)