SO CONFUSED!

Options
I recently bought a HRM to track how many calories i was burning whilst doing exercise. Today i did some heavy,vigorous cleaning in my bathroom as well as the rest of my house for 75 minutes. According to my HRM i burned ... 650calories. WTF? There is no way that is possible. This HRM is brand new & i THOUGHT it was going to be effective but wth kind of number is that? That's insane, and impossible so now I'm even more confused about how many calories i'm TRULY burning if even this thing is wacky :(

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    OMG, if I burn that much cleaning, I will give up going to the gym. Did you track the calories burn in the MFP database to see the difference?

I never used an HRM (I need to get one now more than ever...), but a lot of people in this website do and like them very much because it is supposed to be accurate. The only thing that comes to mind is that you probably did not set it right with your personal data (age, weight, hight, etc.).

Maybe you should try to set it again and see what happens. If you don't need to clean your house for another 75 minutes, you are welcome to do mine:blushing:
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    I recently bought a HRM to track how many calories i was burning whilst doing exercise. Today i did some heavy,vigorous cleaning in my bathroom as well as the rest of my house for 75 minutes. According to my HRM i burned ... 650calories. WTF? There is no way that is possible. This HRM is brand new & i THOUGHT it was going to be effective but wth kind of number is that? That's insane, and impossible so now I'm even more confused about how many calories i'm TRULY burning if even this thing is wacky :(

What type did you buy? Does it have a chest strap? The best brand is Polar and you should have one with a chest strap because it will give you a more accurate reading. Hopefully you didn't buy a cheap brand because this is one instance when you want to have a better brand. If it is a good HRM with a chest strap check the instructions again and reset it. If it's still not working properly I would suggest going back to the store where you bought it and get them to help you set it up.
  • Andrea999
    Options
    Hi,

You need to deduct the calories you would have burnt just doing your normal routine - I deduct 250 each hour. I measured that by wearing the heart monitor for half an hour doing my normal stuff, in a normal day. (I'm quite active)

Obviously that's based on my age, weight etc, and as already mentioned, that needs to be right for you and entered in to the monitor. Based on my data you would have only burnt about 312 'extra' calories, which doesn't sound quite as extreme.

If you are going to exercise regularly, and do things that would be considered cardio, you then need to check your 'normal' calorie burn every few weeks because your heart will get stronger and your heart rate will drop - but that's for the future and maybe making it a bit complicated for now!

Hope that helps to clarify!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a chest strap and have progammed it properly I would rely on those numbers. Working hard around the house does burn calories. I don't count cleaning but some people minus 100 each hour to go towards the "normal activity" number on your goals.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is why I only count calories and wear my HRM when I'm working out.