Vegetarian diet question

Options
Hello everyone! As you may or may not know, my husband recently deployed. While he is gone, I'm not going to eat any meat. This isn't a new thing, I hardly ate any while he was here, but every once in a while he'd have a big steak or something and want me to eat with him so I would. Well I decided that I don't want to eat any while he is gone. It has nothing to do with me wanting to save the animals or anything like that, I just don't have a taste for it. Since I am new to this, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me as to what I should/shouldn't eat. I know I need to find good sources of protein and such. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing about being vegetarian is that you have to make sure you get a good mix of proteins to make sure you get all of your amino acids. They use to say that you have to combine non-animal protein sources in the same meal to get the complete proteins, but I've been taught that if you eat the right combinations in the same day, it doesn't have to be in the same meal. Soy is the only plant version of a complete protein, but if you can't eat soy, then you have to make sure you are eating at least one of these combinations daily.

Dairy - Grains
    Grains - Legumes
    Legumes - Nuts & Seeds

Also, if you go completely vegan, then you have to watch out that you are getting B12 as it is only found in animal products. So, if you are eating no animal products, I'd supplement it.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I recommend chick peas, they're high in protein and fiber. And they're a good source of slow burning carbs, so they keep me going for a while. I use them as a replacement for meat in curries, and they taste great with mediterranean food x
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It seems that you are not planning to eat any read meat, but what about fish?

Beans, lentils, nuts, low fat milk products and eggs (also egg beaters or just plain egg whites) are a good source of protein. You may like to have a protein drink (whey protein) once a day too. Kashi Go Lean has a nice cereal with 13 grams of protein, low in carb and fat, you could try that too.

You cold also Google for information about vegetarian recipes and/or ask at your local health food store.

Good luck, and God bless and keep your husband safe.
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    my youngest daughter and her boyfriend are both vegetarians. send me a friend request with veghead in the message and I would be happy to share some of their favorite recipes with you.
    and katkat987 if you wouldn't mind sharing I am looking for a good curry recipe for when the kids are in town.
    thanks
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    Cheilsea please thank your husband for his service. mine has been home from iraq for a year now.
    it takes a special kind of person to do what they do. we will be praying for his safe and speedy return.
  • Cheilsea
    Cheilsea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do drink a lot of soy milk and I will eat some fish. I like salmon and tuna. I also eat egg whites almost every morning for breakfast and I have Kashi cereal as well. What about peanut butter? I've heard mixed things about that. I don't love it, but if it would be good for me, I will eat it in moderation. I will have to try adding chick peas to my salads.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 15 years, and the one thing I learned is to NOT substitute "veggie burgers" for burgers, or "fake chicken" for chicken. All the soy really jacked up my thyroid. The key is getting a lot of protein from actual plants (beans for an example). May I suggest going on Amazon and finding some used vegetarian cookbooks?

Also, I feel for you. I know I don't understand what you're going through (how could I right?) But my brother in law is going back for his second tour next month, but to Khost this time instead of Afghanistan. Not happy about it. :frown:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate is a very important source of good protein. Add to foods and great for protein smoothies. I use Kaizen from Netrition.com
  • Cheilsea
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do drink a lot of soy milk and I will eat some fish. I like salmon and tuna. I also eat egg whites almost every morning for breakfast and I have Kashi cereal as well. What about peanut butter? I've heard mixed things about that. I don't love it, but if it would be good for me, I will eat it in moderation. I will have to try adding chick peas to my salads.

Thanks so much. This is my husbands 4 tour and 3rd combat deployment. I try not to worry but it is very hard because he was wounded on his first deployment and has a very dangerous job. After this one, he is done for a while though so I'm very thankful for that.

Thanks for you input as well. I'll keep that in mind.
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    yeah you really gotta watch your soy intake it will also throw your hormones out of whack.
    but if you are a lable reader you would find that not all veggie burgers are totally soy.
    one of my daughter's faves is a portabella mushroom burger. and even an omnivore like me
    loves them. some soy once in a while is fine just don't go overboard with it.
    but I do have some great tofu recipes that rock. yes I eat veghead diet when my daughter is
    in town. and she will be here in two weeks... yay!!!
  • Cheilsea
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate is a very important source of good protein. Add to foods and great for protein smoothies. I use Kaizen from Netrition.com

Thanks, I will look into that.

Are whey protein drinks good for you? I always thought they were for men/women who wanted to bulk up?
  • Cheilsea
    Options
    yeah you really gotta watch your soy intake it will also throw your hormones out of whack.
    but if you are a lable reader you would find that not all veggie burgers are totally soy.
    one of my daughter's faves is a portabella mushroom burger. and even an omnivore like me
    loves them. some soy once in a while is fine just don't go overboard with it.
    but I do have some great tofu recipes that rock. yes I eat veghead diet when my daughter is
    in town. and she will be here in two weeks... yay!!!

That's great! I would love for you to send them to me if you have time!
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    when I have time???? I am an army wife.. time is all i have. lol
    will sort through them and send you some of her faves. my hubby
    makes a mean veg. manicotti but you have to eat cheese.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Thanks, I will look into that.

Are whey protein drinks good for you? I always thought they were for men/women who wanted to bulk up?

A couple of times a week I like to have mainly veggie meals (I will skip all meats and fish), but to supplement my protein intake I make a smoothie with any Diet Ocean Spray cranberry drink, any fruit, specially frozen strawberries, and a scoop of 4Ever Fit Mango Tropical Blast Whey Protein Isolate. It has 24 gr of protein and it is low in carbs.
    I read that why isolate is a good source of protein, and I like the above mentioned flavor because I can also use water instead of juice and I have a good tasting smoothie.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try Quinoa, it is natural and a complete protein in itself.
  • Cheilsea
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your input everyone. I really appreciate it!