Veggies for Non-Veggie Eaters

Options
Hey Everyone!

Like everyone else here, I'm trying to eat healthier. My biggest problem is that I'm not a big fan of veggies. I like spinach, avocados and carrots. The end. I also like romaine lettuce sometimes but CANNOT stand iceberg lettuce.

I was hoping that someone might be able to offer me some advice for "starter" vegetables. Did you have a similar situation? Did you find a mild vegetable that you can eat without a ton of dressing on it?

I appreciate all help! Thanks y'all!

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There are several web sites out there with recipes for sneaking veggies into foods for picky kids! you may find some options that way.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    I used to hate detest loathe broccoli until a friend showed me how to lightly steam it and then sprinkled some lemon pepper on top. Now I can eat a whole head in one sitting. I wouldn't worry about not liking iceberg lettuce -- very little nutritional value in that. Using raw baby spinach instead of lettuce packs much more of a nutritional punch. I love squash (could be yellow squash or zucchini) stir-fried with a splash of amaretto (the alcohol burns off). You can also steam and then puree cauliflower and add it to the sauce in a macaroni and cheese dish to up the fiber content and make it healthier. You can't taste or see the cauliflower that way. I also started liking a lot more veggies once I learned how to roast them -- asparagus and brussel sprouts taste particularly amazing roasted. Best of luck finding what works for you!
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    Thank you both! I am hopefully getting a really nice blender for Christmas, so I'm going to try to put some in smoothies.

Thanks again!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree that looking for recipes for picky kids (because there is a lot out there!) is a great place to start. Do you eat tomatoes, potatoes, squashes, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms or corn?
    Also, there is a lot to be said for how a vegetable is cooked. I have a dear friend that hates most vegetables, but seems to love everything that I make. She even said that the roasted white asparagus I made tasted kind of like french fries to her! She adores my brussel sprouts!!!! I tend to sauté things in butter, brown them on the edges and add salt and fresh cracked pepper. For things that could be bitter ( like the sprouts or other cabbages) I toss in a splash of vermouth at the end for depth and sweetness. I also have a recipe for kale that everyone loves. Kale of all things!! I love it, and I hate kale!!! Seasoning makes a big difference. I'm more than happy to share more ideas with you if you like; I don't know that this is the kind of info you're looking for. Feel free to PM me.
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    I agree that looking for recipes for picky kids (because there is a lot out there!) is a great place to start. Do you eat tomatoes, potatoes, squashes, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms or corn?
    Also, there is a lot to be said for how a vegetable is cooked. I have a dear friend that hates most vegetables, but seems to love everything that I make. She even said that the roasted white asparagus I made tasted kind of like french fries to her! She adores my brussel sprouts!!!! I tend to sauté things in butter, brown them on the edges and add salt and fresh cracked pepper. For things that could be bitter ( like the sprouts or other cabbages) I toss in a splash of vermouth at the end for depth and sweetness. I also have a recipe for kale that everyone loves. Kale of all things!! I love it, and I hate kale!!! Seasoning makes a big difference. I'm more than happy to share more ideas with you if you like; I don't know that this is the kind of info you're looking for. Feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it. I don't know why, but I fee like I should always eat veggies raw.
  • chelsifina
    Options
    Ah Cauliflower!!!! You can break into florets and steam in a dutch oven with some chicken broth, then puree the whole lot and add butter and salt and pepper...amazing!!! Also amazing...slice the cauliflower vertically and lay out on a cookie sheet, brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with cumin and salt and roast. Also amazing!
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    I actually do remember trying cauliflower recently and was surprised how utterly tasteless it really was. I can get behind that as long as it's nutritious!
  • chelsifina
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it. I don't know why, but I fee like I should always eat veggies raw.
    [/quote]

Anytime! I don't eat most veggies raw...you can, but for many of them (like tomatoes) they are even more nutritious when properly cooked. Just don't boil anything but white potatoes.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Do you like watermelon? I know that's a fruit but cucumbers have a really nice, mild flavor that's similar to the freshness of watermelon. It's almost entirely water itself, but the skin is really good fiber and they have a nice crunch. Plus, they don't have to be cooked so you can just slice and munch! Green beans are also great and crunchy, almost similar to carrots! Another good one to eat raw and avoid that awful mushy too-cooked veggie texture.

I also second cauliflower, it's so mild you can absolutely treat it like a potato and do whatever you want with it. Another good vegetable for adding bulk/fiber to your diet.

Good luck, I hope that helps some!
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    Thank you all for the fantastic advice! I can't wait to run to the store and pick up some stuff to try!
  • Flexiitarian
    Options
    My daughter pureed vegetables and added them to all kinds of dishes when her kids were little. She had a cookbook about using pureed vegetables. For example, you can cook and mash cauliflower and add it to mashed potatoes. If you get used to that and like it, you can substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes. Try adding shredded carrots, peas, or other small dice vegetables to casseroles or ground beef recipes. They add color and you will be getting a few more vegetables. A few years ago I decided that in order to meet my 3-5 vegetable servings per day, I was going to have to eat a serving at breakfast. The thought almost horrified me so I picked a very mild vegetable, zucchini. I sauted it in a cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil and added a bit of salt. Sometimes I would top it with a bit of parmesan cheese. Once I got used to the idea that vegetables could be good with breakfast, I gradually branched out and started making my favorite vegetable dishes and eating them at breakfast. So, keep looking for recipes that sound good or that you already know you like. You didn't like broccoli but someone showed you a way to fix it so that you love it. It's like that with almost all foods. Just keep an open mind and keep trying things until you learn a way to prepare it that you really like.