40 Lbs gone and off Blood Pressure Meds Now

Options
I don't post much on here, bu the last few days I have decided to tell my story, hopefully as motivation, mainly for the other service members I know use this site. I left on deployment in March and weighed in at 206, and my gut measured 43 inches. Last Sunday I weighed in at 167, and my abdominal measurement is now 34! People on the ship ask me all the time what my diet is, and I tell them I don't have one. When I started using MFP at the end of May after my wife told me about it, I set my weight loss goal for 2lbs a week and started religiously logging everything I ate. I go to the gym about an hour and a half every day, until recently I was doing Cardio for an hour and strength training for 30 minutes, I have since started changing it to include more strength training. There really isn't a secret to it, I read all the forum posts on here about what I should and shouldn't eat, and how I should eat clean foods only......Yeah right.....ever try to do that on a deployed warship? I eat pretty much what I want for my 3 meals a day, I am just much smarter now about the portion sizes I eat. 3 days ago my doctor took me off my Blood Pressure meds, said I didn't need them anymore after 8 yrs of being on them. I wish I had found the motivation a long time ago to get off my butt and do it, but now that I have it has truly been a lifestyle change. I am not writing this post to brag, but to serve as motivation for others that may need it. As I have told anyone whose post I have responded to, my food diary is open and I welcome any friend requests from anyone desiring motivation. I cant tell you what will work for you, we are all different, I just know that MFP and exercise, along with my wife motivating me are what have done it for me. MFP works, as long as you are brutally honest with yourself and put in everything that you eat, until you can do that, it will not work for you.

Chris

Replies

• xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your successes! x
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    wow that is amazing! Good for you!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I agree that portion control is key. Your story is the type I really enjoy: people whose chronic health problems are alleviated when they lose weight. I know that weight loss won't solve everything for everybody, but it really helps.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Agreed with Athena53, I really love seeing stories of people getting off meds as a result of their weight loss.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo good job! Congrats
  • ANDREWBRIAN
    ANDREWBRIAN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dam what a great story you got it right you have to be brutally honest
  • stangirl1995
    stangirl1995 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great accomplishment. And you are absolutely right... everyone has to find what works for them and keeps them going! My husband has lost over 100 pounds using the same method as you. You are an inspiration to so many! Keep doing what you are doing!
  • xcatsaxon
    xcatsaxon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! Congrats to you for making healthy changes, and getting off of blood pressure medicine speaks volumes, way to go!
  • andy_geek
    andy_geek Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right, for most people there is no secret to fitness. It's all in the head, meaning that it takes a mindset change and dedication to the healthier lifestyle.

Good work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    That's awesome...I've dropped 40 Lbs myself and was hoping to get off my blood pressure meds but alas, diet and fitness don't seem to be the issue. I am off my other medications though and all of my blood work is normal now. Good health is awesome and it's pretty amazing what proper diet and exercise will do. My blood pressure issues are more hereditary in nature though it would appear...

Congrats...
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Congrats and great work!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this..

Well done! :drinker:
  • chrismeece74
    Options
    I just want to say thanks to all of you, you guys, and many others like you have been a huge help and inspiration to me. It has been tough at times, but like others have said, it is a mind set that you have to have and you have to find that dedication inside of you to keep going, especially on those days when it seems like it just isn't working. This has definitely been a lifestyle change for me, just seeing the look in my wife's eyes when I got to fly home off deployment in August was worth it. Like I told her, I will definitely be around to make sure our grand kids torment our 3 boys! For those still struggling.....keep at it, like my wife told me.....we didn't gain the weight over night, it is not going to come off over night. You don't need to do a fad diet, or fast for days....use MFP, and above all else be honest with yourself, both in what you are eating and in what you are doing. Go out and get a Heart Rate Monitor, and use it every time you work out, even if you don't see the differences in you, others will!
  • shellsan
    shellsan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love your story. It's very inspirational and wonderful to hear you working within your given situation and finding YOUR path to success. Thank you so much for posting!
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Awesome. That's my goal too. Since I've lost my extra weight and I'm at target, my bp has gone done to normal. Even the doctor verified it. However, he hasn't taken me off my medication yet. I will discuss that with him during next year's annual physical. :smile:
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Very inspiring story!
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have me wondering if there is a point on my journey where I could drop BP medication as well. I've already avoided having to add a second one, so just maybe.... Thanks for the inspiration!
  • kaorinchan
    kaorinchan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm hoping for similar results, I would also like to get off of my bp meds!!
  • chrismeece74
    Options
    Thats great, I wouldnt wait a year though. Talk to your doc now about it. Ask to be put on BP checks to monitor it. Of course I am not a doc, but thats what I did,
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!