Hot yoga-thoughts?

Options
I tried my first yoga, hot yoga, and loved it. Can anyone tell me their experiences-does it help with toning, weight-loss?

Replies

• Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I practice hot yoga and love it. I also strength train, but I think yoga has helped with strength and toning.
  • I think the main benefit of hot yoga vs regular is warmer muscles are less likely to be injured. I doubt it helps more than any other exercise with weight loss. Stay hydrated!
  • TreetYoSelf
    Options
    I did Bikram Yoga on and off for 4 years (can't afford it right now) and I generally always lose about 10 lbs and keep if off during the times I practice. Each session can (supposedly and varying for each person) burn about 700 calories. It's amazing for keeping you focused regarding other goals too such as eating clean, working through anger & frustration, etc. I wish I could afford it... it's so amazing.
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love love love love hot yoga- I practice moksha yoga when I'm living at home, and have a studio nearby. I've never practiced bikram, but from the people I've talked to who have done both, they almost always prefer moksha.

I love it because it has everything I need- great for toning, flexibility, mental relaxation, and can even get your heart rate quite elevated, especially if it's a vinyasa style class with lots of flow sequences. I do find that it is not effective for my fitness goals alone though- I combine it with running/ HIIT training .

However- BE CAREFUL. Your muscles obviously get quite warm, and may stretch much farther than they are meant to. My father is a physiotherapist and has treated several cases of stretched or ripped ligaments brought on by people stretching too far, and not paying attention. Like with any form of physical activity always listen to what your body is telling you, and don't push it too hard.

I have back problems (at 19 years old...gah) and yoga has helped tremendously. I highly highly recommend continuing with it.

The only thing I don't like?
    THE PRICE!!!
    $$$$$$$
  • MissMandroid
    MissMandroid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am also a recent hot yoga addict. I go at least 4-5 days a week. I have lots of knee and ankle injuries, and I adore that yoga allows me to be athletic without being in constant pain. For me, the daily message is an added bonus and I always leave class feeling both emotionally and physically fulfilled. As for the weight loss/fitness portion, i must admit I avoid scales, but my clothes are definitely bigger than they used to be, and my body has an overall tone and strength that is attributed to the yoga. Admittedly, the class I attend is a hybrid power flow yoga class appropriate for everyone. Keep us posted on what your long term impressions are!!
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was a bikram junkie, but like others, it is simply too expensive for me to continue every month. :-(

That being said, when I was religious about logging food and practicing about 3-4 times a week, I slimmed down and toned up. Bikram (and walking my dogs) was the only form of exercise I was doing at the time and I lost about 17-18 pounds in about 3 months.

Keep with it. You'll see results.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram as well.... I am someone who stresses out easily, and I loved the focus that I had while practicing. Unfortunately, the prices have skyrocketed, and I just can't afford it either. (It is $125/month here for unlimited classes, or $15 per class)

I will occasionally do a drop in class, when I have the money, and I always feel it the next day. So I would say it is a good workout as well!
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I loved, loved, loved Bikram. I had the time to do it before I had kids then my schedule got crazy and I had to stop. I would have continued except the workout (1.5hrs), drive time and shower time (really need a shower after that!) ate up way too much time. It was very effective for toning and weight loss for me.