can't exercise for a week. how to keep high metabolism?

Options
So I've been working out pretty consistently, about 5-6 times a week, around 40-50 minutes a day...but now I just developed this really huge boil (sorry TMI :( ) that's about like 3 inches in diameter and it's near my ahem...lol anyways it's on a part of my body that hurts when I do any type of high impact workouts...I've tried working out while I had it and it just got more irritated and swelled up more :( and I can't even do any type of mat workout 'cause I really can't even lie down in any direction :( I can't even bend to do any type of low impact exercises It might take about 5-7 days to completely heal...and I know working out might make it worse, but I'm really scared that I will lose a lot of my endurance, stamina, and muscle within those 7 days if I don't work out ;(

Are there any ways to keep my metabolism up without exercising? Or any way to preserve my muscle, or to keep most of what I've worked hard for? It's really hard for me, not being able to work out...I was even supposed to start Shaun T's Focus t25 tomorrow but this stupid boil won't let me :(

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You won't lose anything. That is not how it works. You can not slow down your metabolism in a week so low that you would notice anything. And neither you can lose muscle so much that it would make any difference. Tested it on myself.

For example if you can run a 10k in 55 min after a week of not exercising you maybe could run 10k in only 54 min and 45 sec... something like that anyways. It's less than 1%. That is nothing you should worry about, you will get it back your endurance after couple days of training once you start again. As for muscle, I don't know exact numbers cos I'm more of a runner than bodybuilder but I remember once injuring my abs and not working out my upper body at all for a month and I did not lose anything. I'm sure It was something cos it must be, but I did not measure it and it definitely was not noticeable at all. I'm talking about muscle mass, strength was gone down quite a lot tho, but it took me only a week to get back where I was.

You listen to too much horror stories from all those fitness magazines and internet. It's way too much exaggerated, it's not how it works...
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt to walk? Obviously it's not nearly as high impact, but try and walk more for the week- park farther away, get off the bus a stop earlier, walk to school/work, carry your groceries, take the stairs...you get the idea.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I don't even know what to say. A boil is keeping you from exercising? Seriously? I don't throw this out there too often, but forcripesake I battled cancer, and that didn't stop me. Get a grip and stop making excuses.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism won't slow down after a week. It's prolonged low calorie diets that do it. Also, if you're getting a boil, that's a sign of a low immunity - too much exercise and/or a VLCD would do this. Listen to your body.
  • Nomorebuffet
    Options
    Green Tea is natural and is a great metabolism booster.

Gotten 'boils'/chub rub on my inner thighs from friction of exercising or on my waste line from the pants.

What helps pain and to move around is the powder deodorant not the gel, kind of lubes and dries it out at the same time.
    (also safe to swab on the 'ahem')
  • chillakiss
    chillakiss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    it's 3 inches in diameter and it's on a nerve that's affecting my entire body. I've tried working it out for a whole week with intense exercises, because i didn't want to make any excuses. Now it's just gotten even bigger and is more irritated. If you must know, it's on my private part area.
  • chillakiss
    Options
    I don't even know what to say. A boil is keeping you from exercising? Seriously? I don't throw this out there too often, but forcripesake I battled cancer, and that didn't stop me. Get a grip and stop making excuses.

it's 3 inches in diameter and it's on a nerve that's affecting my legs and spine, and I find it hard to move any part of my body. I've tried working it out for a whole week when it first started with really intense exercises, because i didn't want to make any excuses, and wanted to tough it out. Now it's just gotten even bigger and is more irritated, and doctor has recommended that I rest it... If you must know, it's on my private part area. That hurts like hell. If I was lazy and didn't want to work out, I wouldn't have posted this. I'm even obsessing and worrying that I'm not working out. LIke I said, I've tried and it made it worse, my doctor even got upset that I tried to exercise while I had this bad infection. So do what you want to do, but I also want to make sure it heals properly so that I CAN work out in a few days...not make it worse and not be able to work out for a few weeks.

I've worked out when I was sick before with fevers and everything, and all these really terrible diseases. My doctor had a facepalm moment and told me that was a really bad mistake, that I had hurt my immune system by over exercising, and that I shouldn't do the same with this one.

I apologize for the cancer part, though...I applaud you though for working out and toughing it out.
  • chillakiss
    Options
    Does it hurt to walk? Obviously it's not nearly as high impact, but try and walk more for the week- park farther away, get off the bus a stop earlier, walk to school/work, carry your groceries, take the stairs...you get the idea.

I do still walk, though :) All the time...park far and everything, take 10 flights of stairs up to my work, and make sure that I always use the bathroom far away at work...and I walk in the mornings...but I'm just scared my endurance with the really high intensity exercises would die down if I just go back to walking...(for example like, if I run a certain distance in a certain amount of time, I'm scared just resorting back to walking for a week would affect my endurance)
  • chillakiss
    Options
    oh okay thanks...I always worked out when I was sick too, I guess that's why. I'd push myself til I cried :(
  • chillakiss
    Options
    You won't lose anything. That is not how it works. You can not slow down your metabolism in a week so low that you would notice anything. And neither you can lose muscle so much that it would make any difference. Tested it on myself.

For example if you can run a 10k in 55 min after a week of not exercising you maybe could run 10k in only 54 min and 45 sec... something like that anyways. It's less than 1%. That is nothing you should worry about, you will get it back your endurance after couple days of training once you start again. As for muscle, I don't know exact numbers cos I'm more of a runner than bodybuilder but I remember once injuring my abs and not working out my upper body at all for a month and I did not lose anything. I'm sure It was something cos it must be, but I did not measure it and it definitely was not noticeable at all. I'm talking about muscle mass, strength was gone down quite a lot tho, but it took me only a week to get back where I was.

You listen to too much horror stories from all those fitness magazines and internet. It's way too much exaggerated, it's not how it works...

Haha yeah...i just got scared with the muscle part, though. I once stopped working out for two weeks and lost my ab definition. That's why I'm scared...I tried doing ab exercises while I had the boil but the next morning it swelled up more 'cause I caused friction by laying on the mat and doing all these crunches and stuff... :/ and my boil is on that area where I can't lie down on it :( thanks for the tip, though, made me worry less :)!
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Let your body heal first. Your long term health is important, so if your body says "no" then give it the rest it needs.

A boil should heal up in a few short weeks. Once you start exercising again your fitness will return very quickly. (Horses on rest get fit again real quick if they have been fit before too.)

Cancer is horrid, but I don't think it should be used to try to shame others with different problems. Each of us should judge what is best for our own situations.