Smart Exercise by Covert Bailey..thoughts anyone?

Options
I am 1/3 of the way into the book "Smart Exercise" by Covert Bailey. I'm skeptical by nature, and so far, what I've read sounds really great, but goes against what I understand to be general knowledge about exercise. Any one read it? Anyone have any thoughts about it to share?

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Not read it but would love to hear what you think are the weird bits. Maybe I could help unwind the mystery - or agree with you and laugh like a drain :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Some things age well. Some don't.

My 1996 bottle of Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou still has value.

The same cannot be said for Covert Bailey.

This book was written in 1996. Pretty much everything Covert Bailey ever said or wrote was invalidated around 1992.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Bailey isn't a great source for exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ouwho
    ouwho Posts: 29
    Options
    What I think I have understood, which is different from what I knew previously, is that weight loss doesn't occur during the exercise itself, but instead occurs after exercise, during the rest period, when the body uses a combination of oxygen and fuel in the form of stored fat, to recover, repair, and replenish.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What I think I have understood, which is different from what I knew previously, is that weight loss doesn't occur during the exercise itself, but instead occurs after exercise, during the rest period, when the body uses a combination of oxygen and fuel in the form of stored fat, to recover, repair, and replenish.

Weight loss occurs from maintaining a long-term daily calorie deficit. Exercise assists in that process by burning larger chunks of calories and conserving lean mass. So does breathing, walking, eating, living, etc.

It is a mistake to assume that exercise per se, has some special alchemic power to directly burn stored body fat. Exercise is just one lego block in the overall structure.

To be fair to Bailey, this was not understood as well back in the 1990s, esp by those (like Bailey) who had no formal education in exercise science.