Following calorie guidelines, exercising, no loss

Options
OK - so here's my story and question - mid-50's, 25 + lbs overweight, about 10 lbs higher than my lowest weight reached in the last 5 years. Exercise 5 of 7 days a week - elliptical, fast pace (3.5+, 4-10 grade) on treadmill, 1x1 boxing 30 minutes a week, strength/core training 2 x a week.

Love this program. Log EVERYTHING. Pretty much at a daily 1200 calorie level, plus 2-300 calories on heavy exercise days. Have not lost a lb. in 30 days?

Thoughts?

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What about your body? have you taken measurements? Weeks I don't lose my body still has small changes.
  • ddh1
    ddh1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes, thanks for the suggestion. No notable changes in measurements yet either although I do feel less bloated.
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    Did you just start exercising? It could be that you're retaining water from making a big change. It's very common. You're doing the right thing. Increase your water intake if its not already high. Keep in mind, you can't just get on the scale and say "okay body, lose weight right....NOW!!"

You're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain is my guess but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and come up with a reason
  • gilliani
    Options
    Urghh this is happening to me too- not lost anything for 4 weeks after losing around 1-2 lbs a week steadily. Would bumping calories up for a week or so work and then going back to diet again? Or maybe reducing calories for a few days??? I'm stuck!!
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    Dont get discouraged guys!! It's worth the effort!!!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Same here. I have measurement changes, but my weight SHOULD be going down with what I've been doing. And I'm 20. lol
  • ddh1
    ddh1 Posts: 8
    Options
    The exercise is not new, but I do know that, as I get older, it seems to take longer for the good work to kick in . It is so easy to get discouraged, but hopefully soon my body will say, "OK - you're serious. I'll start responding to your efforts." Can be hard to keep the chin up, keep doing all the right stuff, and not get discouraged, so thanks for the encouragement.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Did you know your body doesn't start burning fat until 30 minutes into your exercise? Don't count your warmup as part of your exercise if that's what you are doing.
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    No problem. My body hates me too sometimes. It deserves to be mad though after all the crappola I put in it !!! Hahah

Don't get discouraged! You GOT this!
  • diazgrisel
    diazgrisel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you are in the same routine your body just stays the same. Try to change up your exercise routine. Do something new to engage different muscle groups. Also remember to drink plenty of water. Keep up the good work and do not get discouraged.
  • jezebeliii
    jezebeliii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that if you hit a plateau you need to change something. If you always eat the same thing for breakfast or lunch, etc. change it up and eat something totally different. If you always do the same exercise for the same amount of time, change what you're doing or how long you're doing it for. If you're not losing weight but your body is changing then you're most likely losing fat but gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat) ... especially if you're doing strength training.

I did a program through the YMCA awhile back that involved counting fat grams and doing cardio and strength training. I actually gained weight on that program but went down a clothing size because it was muscle that I gained. Good luck to you.
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments about making a change. I was stuck on a plateau for several weeks and can point to two things that have changed to kick start my weight loss again.

1. This was about the time I tried a different exercise routine that was much more intense than my normal routine. I instantly felt like it make a difference. Now I throw in an intense session every so often.

2. I finally figured out how to consistently get in my 8 glasses of water every day. I don't know why this makes such an impact but it really helps to keep my weight loss going.
  • johnnya2
    Options
    Quit focusing on a number (weight). Do you feel better? Stronger? More energy? Healthier? If so, weight does not matter. It will eventually come. Also, what exactly are you eating? I promise you there is nobody who says, I am fat because I ate too many vegetables or fruit.
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    When I stall, I change my exercise up a little. The body can get used to the same exercise each day. So two days a week I do HIIT on my elliptical. Warm up doing steady state for 5 minutes, bump up your resistance where you can barely peddle for 1 minute. go back to steady state for 1 minute. do that sequence for about 10 minutes, then continue your steady state until the end of your 30 or 45 minute session. You will probably work up a good sweat doing this.

Eat 5-6 small meals daily. make sure you are getting enough protein. Keep your carbs: cup brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains, quinoa (pronounced "Keen-wah") is also a good carb loaded with protein...
  • Deb13
    Deb13 Posts: 3
    Options
    I know how you feel ddh1. I'm experiencing the same problem. 42 y/o, 1200 calorie diet and exercising with elliptical 1-2X/day for minimum 750 calorie burn/workout up to 1200 calorie burn in 2 workouts. Workout 5-6 days/week. After 6 weeks, I've lost 4 pounds. Completely frustrated, I went to nutritionist who reviewed my food journal and noted it was full of too much sugar. The sugar was in the form of high fiber cereal, English muffin and fruits and vegetables. She recommended a balanced diet low in sugar and containing the right types of carbs with protein. The right carbs she reported were green leafy vegetables: spinach, kale, broccoli, bok choy and swiss chard. I'll let you know how it all goes. I was surprised to hear that the very high fiber carbs were bad for me because of all the sugar.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    the answer is time!! give it some time don't expect immediate results. Just because you start doing things doesn't mean your body is gonna follow suit immediately. Also why so low on the calories I don't understand how people have enough energy to just eat 1200 calories a day.

I had my RMR done and I still need more than 1200 calories to do nothing. 1200 is the bare min it doesn't mean that that's what you have to eat to lose weight. The basic is 2000 for woman 2500 for men if you shave 500 off that you get 1500 for women and 2000 for men. (thats just an estimate) people need to remember that MFP along with many other calorie websites are just guides.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Did you know your body doesn't start burning fat until 30 minutes into your exercise? Don't count your warmup as part of your exercise if that's what you are doing.

This is not true, as long as you're at a calorie deficient you'll burn fat. Doesn't matter if you workout for 10 minutes to achieve that deficient or do no exercise at all.

I would suggest giving it a few more weeks or maybe eat a little more. If you still don't have any results after another month, maybe you should go see a doctor.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MY RMR is 1,100 calories. This is for a small frame 5'2". How tall are you? What is your bone structure?

There is a lot to look at. You can't use the My Fitness Pal, one size fits all, caloric needs estimate. You may be different.

If you've been at this for a month and have logged everything faithfully, then you need either need to eat less or look at another factor besides food, such as water intake.

I found that when I don't lose weight it is because I did not drink enough water. Your body is going to want to conserve fluids. Water is required for the process of hydrolysis, which is the process your body uses to break down fat. During aerobic exercise, you are losing water through sweat, so you will need 8 glasses per day plus whatever you lose in sweat each day.