Low Calories for Weight loss & High Calories to Maintain?

4ft 10. 193 lbs..GW 160, UGW 150...Yes, I do know that at my height even at my UGW I would still be classified as Obese but once I get there I can then worry about getting below it...Back to my point
> Wouldn't it seem more logical to eat lower calories when trying to lose and then higher when it is time to maintain. Mfp tells me 1330 at sedentary (sitting down job) and 1470 at (lightly active)...Tdee-20% puts me at about 1700 which is what I am on now but I feel I need to lower it to get more weight off..I have been on 1500 in the past & 1300 and stalled so that is why I tried the eating more method but I am not seeing results like I'd like to. I have never followed mfp recommendations but thinking about it and if I exercise, eat those calories back at the 133o which by the way is below my BMR...Anyone use the mfp recommended calorie goal and lose weight even if it is under your BMR?

Replies

• AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    I have lost 31 pds since January by eating close to what MFP says ( I don't go under it), but sometimes as long as I am legitimately hungry I do eat more, but don't go over my calories with exercise. Of course I have a couple weeks in total that I didn't stick to plan very well, but all in all I think I've had great success with sticking with MFP recommendations. I have 4 pds to go and I'll hit my low maintain weight. I will be eating more when ready to maintain.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I'm sure plenty of people do and its fine if it's something they can maintain. Each person has to find what works for them.

I personally choose to eat as much as possible and still lose at a reasonable rate. I started actively using MFP @ 218lbs (5'4.5") on March 13 of this year. I have had to adjust my calories down about every month or so, but I think compared to most I'm still eating a fairly high amount of calories. On average I eat around 1886 calories per day currently (1500 when I sit on my butt all day, 2000 + on active days). Since March, I have averaged a weekly loss of roughly 1.71lbs/daily loss of roughly 0.24lbs (169.4lbs currently).

Some reasons people like to eat more:
    - slow and steady weight loss
    - combined with strength training can help reduce the loss of LBM
    - Less likely to binge (generally not as hungry and easier to fit in foods you love/don't have to be overly restrictive)

If you aren't already, I suggest buying a kitchen scale and weighing all food you make at home. It makes a huge difference.

My husband uses MFP recommendations with adjustments from Fitbit (we both own fitbit zips). He has lost 29lbs since June.

Oh and this is a thread you might want to see:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032620-4-10-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics?hl=4'10+eating+2000+calories
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    I ate at 1200 for almost 11 months and lost almost 100 pounds. then I upped my cals to 1800 for maintenance, and I have maintained my weight perfectly. im 5 foot 9.5, started at 246 pounds, and I am currently 151 pounds. I did just fine, didn't plateu, didn't have trouble with being hungry or having low energy, and did not gain weight back once going into maintenance mode. whatever works for you is whats important. its your body, its your goals, and ultimately, its your decision. good luck!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    I'm sure plenty of people do and its fine if it's something they can maintain. Each person has to find what works for them.

I personally choose to eat as much as possible and still lose at a reasonable rate. I started actively using MFP @ 218lbs (5'4.5") on March 13 of this year. I have had to adjust my calories down about every month or so, but I think compared to most I'm still eating a fairly high amount of calories. On average I eat around 1886 calories per day currently (1500 when I sit on my butt all day, 2000 + on active days). Since March, I have averaged a weekly loss of roughly 1.71lbs/daily loss of roughly 0.24lbs (169.4lbs currently).

- Less likely to binge (generally not as hungry and easier to fit in foods you love/don't have to be overly restrictive)

If you aren't already, I suggest buying a kitchen scale and weighing all food you make at home. It makes a huge difference.

My husband uses MFP recommendations with adjustments from Fitbit (we both own fitbit zips). He has lost 29lbs since June.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032620-4-10-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics?hl=4'10+eating+2000+calories
    I heartily second this. I eat a similar amount, feel free to peek at my diary, it's public. I like food and I don't like feeling deprived. That is a great link too, what an awesome success story.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Great advice-Thanks! :) Inbox me some filling snack ideas
    I ate at 1200 for almost 11 months and lost almost 100 pounds. then I upped my cals to 1800 for maintenance, and I have maintained my weight perfectly. im 5 foot 9.5, started at 246 pounds, and I am currently 151 pounds. I did just fine, didn't plateu, didn't have trouble with being hungry or having low energy, and did not gain weight back once going into maintenance mode. whatever works for you is whats important. its your body, its your goals, and ultimately, its your decision. good luck!
  • Allup2Me78
    I am currently at 1700 because I am using the TDEE method but no loss since July...

I heartily second this. I eat a similar amount, feel free to peek at my diary, it's public. I like food and I don't like feeling deprived. That is a great link too, what an awesome success story.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    As I said, you have to find what works for you.

Out of curiosity:
    - Do you weigh your food? (when eating at higher calorie amounts it's really important, because you don't have as much room in your deficit for errors)

- Have your measurements changed at all?

- Have you been tested for thyroid issues or PCOS? (both can cause slightly lower than normal metabolic rates)

edit:

I ran some numbers on a TDEE calculator and got this:

**I guessed at your age and put 28 years old**

Sedentary/desk job with little exercise : 1438 (maintenance being 1797 per day...would explain no loss since July eating 1700)
    1-3hrs/wk light exercise : 1647 (maintenance being 2059 per day)
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Allup2Me78
    I use scooby also and I am 35, 58 inches (4ft 10) 193 lbs, a woman of course lol, selected 6 meals and 40 carbs, 40 protein & 40 fat exercise 1-3 hrs a wk

1597-bmr
    2196 to maintain
    1757 at 20% deduction

& yes I get blood work done on a constant basis.
    As I said, you have to find what works for you.

Out of curiosity:
    - Do you weigh your food? (when eating at higher calorie amounts it's really important, because you don't have as much room in your deficit for errors)

- Have your measurements changed at all?

- Have you been tested for thyroid issues or PCOS? (both can cause slightly lower than normal metabolic rates)

edit:

I ran some numbers on a TDEE calculator and got this:

**I guessed at your age and put 28 years old**

Sedentary/desk job with little exercise : 1438 (maintenance being 1797 per day...would explain no loss since July eating 1700)
    1-3hrs/wk light exercise : 1647 (maintenance being 2059 per day)
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    In reply to mcgrawhaha original comment, Great job!!..and well said!
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    I use scooby also and I am 35, 58 inches (4ft 10) 193 lbs, a woman of course lol, selected 6 meals and 40 carbs, 40 protein & 40 fat exercise 1-3 hrs a wk

1597-bmr
    2196 to maintain
    1757 at 20% deduction

Interesting, I just plugged in your numbers into Scooby and got completely different answers than what you gave.

1463-bmr
    2012 to maintain
    1609 at 20% reduction.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Don't get impatient. Pushing yourself too hard is a good way to set yourself up for failure. As cliche as it sounds: Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Allup2Me78
    Not sure, I just did it this morning again and got all the exact #'s I referenced above.
    35 yrs old
    193 lbs
    1-3 hrs exercise
    58 inches (4 ft 10)
    40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein
    20% reduction

1597-bmr
    2196 to maintain
    1757 at 20% deduction

Interesting, I just plugged in your numbers into Scooby and got completely different answers than what you gave.

1463-bmr
    2012 to maintain
    1609 at 20% reduction.
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks-That is what I hear :)
    Don't get impatient. Pushing yourself too hard is a good way to set yourself up for failure. As cliche as it sounds: Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Calculations for BMR, TDEE etc. are just estimates based on statistical averages. Individual results will vary. If you haven't lost any weight for the last couple of months, you are likely eating at or about maintenance rather than at a calorie deficit. You could switch back to the MFP method if you wish, since it has worked for you in the past, or you could simply reduce your calorie goal until you start losing again. For example, you could reduce your daily calorie goal by 100 to 150, wait for two to three weeks to see your results, then adjust again if necessary until you are losing at a satisfactory pace again.

Also, numerous studies have shown that a high proportion of people underestimate the calories they consume and/or overestimate the calories they burn in exercise. It is possible that this is also part of the problem. Do you have a kitchen scale and do you consistently weigh and measure your portions?

Here is an excellent thread that you might want to check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks for your advice. I do have a scale that I have never used..lol I was just telling my friends on my page that I need to use that thing..I also try to measure all I eat but yes I do feel that I need to eat less..I just hear so much about the tdee method and eating over your bmr so I figured I'd try it to be healthier. Thanks for the link..I will look into that now.
    Calculations for BMR, TDEE etc. are just estimates based on statistical averages. Individual results will vary. If you haven't lost any weight for the last couple of months, you are likely eating at or about maintenance rather than at a calorie deficit. You could switch back to the MFP method if you wish, since it has worked for you in the past, or you could simply reduce your calorie goal until you start losing again. For example, you could reduce your daily calorie goal by 100 to 150, wait for two to three weeks to see your results, then adjust again if necessary until you are losing at a satisfactory pace again.

Also, numerous studies have shown that a high proportion of people underestimate the calories they consume and/or overestimate the calories they burn in exercise. It is possible that this is also part of the problem. Do you have a kitchen scale and do you consistently weigh and measure your portions?

Here is an excellent thread that you might want to check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • Hi. I have been religiously following map recommendations of 1230 calories daily and have only gone over my calorie goal 1 day. I am only maintaining my current weight but would feel like I am starving if I eat less. I'm glad to see the program is working for you and may just have to be more patient?!? I am eating the calories allowed after exercising so I am exceeding 1230 but isn't that the point of burning the calories? I'm not sure how long I should follow MFP recommendations before changing courses. Any thoughts?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    I've used both MFP and TDEE-20% methods.
    They seem to basically work in the same way, if you do it correctly by eating back your workout calories with MFP.

I personally prefer MFP method only cuz I like to manipulate my calories. I also don't eat 100% of the calories MFP states that I burn. I eat about 50% of them back. That gives me room for error in my food logging.

Right now I have MFP manually set at my BMR (1520), from there I eat back 50% of whatever calories I burn in workouts. On average I'm eating about 1750 calories per day, just about the same as my TDEE-20%.
    When I don't workout, I try to stay closer to my BMR.

It's really just a personal preference of what might work best for you.
    I like the feeling of "earning calories" through workouts.

21525558.png