Dairy and weight loss

Options
I've heard recently that dairy products and calcium help promote weight loss. I try to eat a serving of yogurt a day, but I want to try to incorporate a glass of milk as well. Does anyone have some advice about when is a good time in the day to drink a glass of milk? and has this made a difference for anyone?

Replies

• fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dairy products definitely provide calcium, but you can get calcium for other sources: greens (kale, spinach, collards), and beans.
    For me, cutting out dairy has helped me to lose weight; I only eat plain organic yogurt occasionally, and cheese on special occasions. If you do decide to add a glass of milk a day, avoid chocolate milk since it is just as bad as drinking a can of pop.
  • jhorenc
    jhorenc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink 5oz organic or fat-free milk mixed with my protein shake for breakfast and dinner it's help me with my weight loss (but I used the protein shake as a meal replacement)
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    some cereal...honey nut cheerios are only like 110 cals and a sweet and healthy snack...also a fat free pudding cup has milk which is an excellent treat as well

weght watchers recommends 5 servings fruits and vegs and 2 servings dairy ...so there has to be something to the 2 servings a day....I lost tons of weight on WW and this MFP is very similar
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out dairy for quite a while, then decided to bring back skim milk & yogurt. (careful of what type lots of yogurts have way too much sugar) any how, seems my body sort of forgot how to process dairy and :embarassed: well, um, some significant gasiciousness ensued... So any dairy I ate I saved late in the day when I was by myself. My body did figure it out how to deal with it again and now I can eat dairy when ever I feel like it.

I did not want to take any thing for "lactose intolerance" for 2 reasons...
    1) It's just me I tend to be sensitive to lots of stuff and why introduce something that might have worse side effects than a little gas.
    2) I've since heard that once your body starts depending on the stuff "lactose intolerance" medication it prevents your body from figuring out how to process dairy again.
  • sgssmile
    Options
    On another board there was talk about hitting a platue (sp) which I did and people were having success with adding dairy such as yogart and milk. Within 3 days of adding it I started to lose weight again. So I am a believer...:flowerforyou:
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dairy is really pretty great for calcium which is essential - I have milk with my cereal and tea, plus yoghurt if i feel like one, and it's not inhibited my weight loss one little bit.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have skim milk on my cereal (but don't drink it), usually have yogurt alsmost daily & always have a glass of milk for at least supper (sometimes lunch).
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Kefir is fabulous!! Its full of B vits and probiotics and is dairy.
    You can buy starter powder at the health-food store and then simple: stir it in a liter of milk and let it sit over night in 20 degrees. If your house is cold I heat a wate-botte and wrap that around it in a towel.
    I drink kefir mixed with al little agave as one of my snacks. You'll find it helps bloating and tummy problems ;)

Also try making your own yogurt. It's so simple and cheep and you can use skimmed milk again.
    Then with a tub of yougurt: drain it in a couple of stockings hanging over a bowl to catch the water for a night. In the morning you will have left: labne. It is made a lot in Lebanon and is delicious. Mix a little salt in it to taste and it is like healthy cream cheese.
    Use it on toast with slices of tomato and a few pieces of ripped Basil and cracked pepper...
    Oh gosh... I realized I got carried away... I hope some of this helps ;)