Protein shake

Options
Hi all,

I'm thinking of having a whey protein shake for breakfast instead of cereal. I won't have it everyday but maybe 4/5 times. Good or bad idea. At the moment I eat 2x weetabix with almond milk and a cup of coffee. (6:20am). When I'm at work and driving around I have a banana around 9:30 then when I come home a yoghurt and an apple this is before lunch which is around 2:15. I'm looking to stop the yogurt and to pieces of fruit to maybe just an apple/yogurt or banana.

Is this possible? And is it a good idea?

I don't want to buy the expensive protein powder if it's not going to do what I want it too.

Thanx inadvance

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with a good quality protein shake...from what you are eating it doesn't look like a lot of protein in the morning and protein will usually keep me feeling a little fuller longer than carbs.
  • ummmmm84
    ummmmm84 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking and it seems quick enough. Do they taste alright in general?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I substitute a protein shake or bar for a meal now and then and doesn't seem to hinder weight maintenance or loss. I mix vanilla flavored with a cup of frozen berries or bananas. great stuff.
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap protein powder mix from cvs...not bad, by itself with milk (whatever your variety). I prefer, 1 scoop powder, 1 cup milk, 1/2 banana (or spoonful low sugar peanut butter), and 2 handfuls of ice. Very filling!
  • BikerChickAlice
    BikerChickAlice Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have one for breakfast most days. Keeps me going. They are not all created equal. Some taste terrible. Try PHD diet whey. Belgian chocolate is nice. Ebay is cheapest. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk. I like it a lot! X
  • ixmardukxi
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of having a whey protein shake for breakfast instead of cereal. I won't have it everyday but maybe 4/5 times. Good or bad idea. At the moment I eat 2x weetabix with almond milk and a cup of coffee. (6:20am). When I'm at work and driving around I have a banana around 9:30 then when I come home a yoghurt and an apple this is before lunch which is around 2:15. I'm looking to stop the yogurt and to pieces of fruit to maybe just an apple/yogurt or banana.

I don't want to buy the expensive protein powder if it's not going to do what I want it too.

Thanx inadvance

Protein powder is pretty damn convenient, and is cheap when the quality of protein is taken into consideration, i think it's a good idea, but beware of some brands, they do not mix well and taste like horse crap, I personally recommend the optimum nutrition gold standard vanilla ice cream flavor
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanx inadvance

Protein powder is pretty damn convenient, and is cheap when the quality of protein is taken into consideration, i think it's a good idea, but beware of some brands, they do not mix well and taste like horse crap, I personally recommend the optimum nutrition gold standard vanilla ice cream flavor

That is a good one, I have had it before. My daughter - a picky 17 year old - likes Proventive Harmonized Vanilla. It seems to be less "active", meaning no real muscle building ingredients so it doesn't upset her stomach. Also, it mixes rather well with one of the shakers with the metal mixer ball..
  • ummmmm84
    ummmmm84 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at Precision Engineered. Don't no if that's an English brand.I don't want to spend loads on one but don't want a to cheap on that's tastes horrible. I got a shaker thing with the ball in from eBay yesterday so I'm half ready to go. I was thinking the chocolate flavour. As I get more into it I'll start add my own things to it banana does sounds nice and mixed berries.
    I will give the gold standees one ago as well see which one I like

Thank you all for your impute
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    my preference is to buy unflavoured and then flavour it myself. The flavoured varieties seem to subtract the protein to add the flavour. Rather get the max amount of protein for the cash

The tastes are of course down to the individual...