PCOS and dieting?? Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• jadeskiss83
    Options
    Neurotic:
    I can vouch for that! My PCOS symptoms have definitely gotten worse as I've packed on the pounds....hair growth, YUCK!:noway:
  • jojo0909
    jojo0909 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15 years ago. I used to use PCOS as an excuse for my weight. I went on Metformin for about a week, but I have a real adversion to pills/drugs, so I stopped taking it. What I have learned about my own body over the years is that if I eat alot and don't exercise - I gain weight, and if I eat sensibly and exercise - I lose weight...just like my non-PCOS friends.

The biggest PCOS-related frustration for me over the years was the difficulty getting pregnant. I had my miracle baby 18 years ago, even though doctors told me I would never become pregnant. I adopted my second miracle baby 11 years ago, when I lost hope of having a second child. Now that I have my babies, the PCOS really isn't an issue for me.
  • candacepainter
    Options
    CandacePainter:
    Wow! Great job! What was your plan of attack? How were you able to lose the weight?

I quit drinking cokes and just stuck to water and went to the gym at least 5 times a week! I also quit eating out as much too.
  • jadeskiss83
    Options

Second, I have been living with PCOS just about all my life, was always a bigger girl, and would work out like crazy and the weight would not come off, or it would come off and then come right back on. Losing weight with PCOS is very discouraging I agree... but if you stick with it and keep moving forward it will happen. However, if you are not taking Metformin I would suggest doing so, as this is what makes or breaks the weight loss for me. I did an experiment and without the Met, if I ate bad and exercised I would gain, and if I ate good and did not exercise I would maintain. But I would never lose. Once I started the Met I would lose as long as I was maintaining good eating habits.

I started my healthy living journey in March of this year, at first I started only counting calories and watching fat intake. I lost 21lbs in the first month. In April of 2010 I hired a Personal Trainer who decided that Low Carb might be the best way to go. So we were constantly playing with my diet, uping my calories, lowering my calories, taking away carbs, adding fiber, adding protein. From April - July I lost an additional 10lbs only! I was disappointed and requested a new trainer. July I was all over the place, August I started with my new trainer - Gained 10lbs in the two months at which I seldom took my Metformin.

By September I was in full swing with my new trainer. I took many things I learned from Low Carbing (which is usually recommended for PCOSers) and looked into the Low Glycemic Weight Loss Diet (which is great btw). So now I am back to counting calories (it worked before) and I usually will only eat from the Medium or Low GI scale... and I allow myself to eat things I love on occasion. Ofcourse I have days where everything goes down hill.. but in September I lost 10lbs putting me at my original weight loss of 30lbs...

I actually have a doctors appointment scheduled for next week and was planning on asking him about Metformin...we'll see what he says.
    Also, I just researched the low glycemic diet a couple of days ago as I was reading up on PCOS and weightloss and have decided to try it. I have already pretty much been eating all the low glycemic foods but there were some things like baked potatoes and stuff that I will stay away from now on.
    It would be great if the Metformin works for me too!
  • smurik
    smurik Posts: 1
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 9 years ago and its been a yo-yo ever since for me!
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump! Will post later! Need to go to bed!
  • pines2palms
    Options
    I HOPE that someone can help!!! Well, I got up this morning and went for a nice walk. Came home, took a shower, washed my hair, and left it wet for a while. Then I dried it (blow-dry) and brushed it. By the time I finished, I had a HANDFUL-no kidding-of hair that had come out. It kept coming out after I brushed it. I THINK it has stopped for now, but I am so afraid to even touch it, I don't know for sure. I know that some hair loss is associated with PCOS, but I have NEVER had anything like this. I am taking phentermine, metformin, and a birth control pill for PCOS symptoms. I am not sure if it is the PCOS, the PCOS meds, or something associated with weight loss... I called my OBGYN-the one that diagnosed me andf gave me the meds but haven't heard back yet. I am getting really concerned. I have always had VERY thick hair, and when I pull it back like a ponytail now, I can tell a difference in the thickness already! My scalp has been itchy for a while. I read something about meds for PCOS helping the "dead" hairs to go ahead and fall out and that the new growth makes your head itch some... Also, I am 32, and my mother and grandmother began menopause at 35...so, I am wondering about that too. Anyone have any ideas? I have read about so many things that it COULD be...that I am totally confused now. What can I do to STOP it? I don't want to have bald spots...especially at my age!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I do have hypothryoidism and can recommend The Hormone Diet book by Dr. Natasha Turner a natural path Dr.

Dr. Turner has both PCOS and hypothyroidism and wrote a book about the lifestyle and food changes that helped her.

A woman that I used to work with, her daughter had PCOS and read and followed THD and had great success with it.

It helps you determine what foods cause havoc on your body and your hormones.

All the best ladies

Karen
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Neurotic:
    I can vouch for that! My PCOS symptoms have definitely gotten worse as I've packed on the pounds....hair growth, YUCK!:noway:

Ya....thats what got my butt to the doctor...I mean when your just overweight...its bad enough..but that started and it was like OH NO...my self esteem can't have this.
  • brookeflinn
    Options
    I HOPE that someone can help!!! Well, I got up this morning and went for a nice walk. Came home, took a shower, washed my hair, and left it wet for a while. Then I dried it (blow-dry) and brushed it. By the time I finished, I had a HANDFUL-no kidding-of hair that had come out. It kept coming out after I brushed it. I THINK it has stopped for now, but I am so afraid to even touch it, I don't know for sure. I know that some hair loss is associated with PCOS, but I have NEVER had anything like this. I am taking phentermine, metformin, and a birth control pill for PCOS symptoms. I am not sure if it is the PCOS, the PCOS meds, or something associated with weight loss... I called my OBGYN-the one that diagnosed me andf gave me the meds but haven't heard back yet. I am getting really concerned. I have always had VERY thick hair, and when I pull it back like a ponytail now, I can tell a difference in the thickness already! My scalp has been itchy for a while. I read something about meds for PCOS helping the "dead" hairs to go ahead and fall out and that the new growth makes your head itch some... Also, I am 32, and my mother and grandmother began menopause at 35...so, I am wondering about that too. Anyone have any ideas? I have read about so many things that it COULD be...that I am totally confused now. What can I do to STOP it? I don't want to have bald spots...especially at my age!

I would like to start by saying I had pharmaceuticals. If they are helping then by all means stay on them...but have you seen some of their side affects? For instance phentermine not only can kill your sex drive but it has one of the weirdest side effects I have ever seen: An exaggerated sense of wellbeing. That's listed between dry mouth and and headache.

Metformin has weird side effects too. Along with all the digestion side effects it can also cause a mild weight gain. It's obviously not something that appears to be a common side effect, but it is listed.

Your hair loss is most likely due to too many androgens (too much testosterone). This is what causes some women to have thicker, darker face and belly hair as well. It's basically the cause of male pattern baldness...fun huh? I would do some research on your birthcontrol pill. There might be a better pill out there for people with PCOS that will boost your estrogen levels, helping to lower your androgen levels, and slow down your hair loss.
  • idahoisforlovers
    Options
    I have it, just started MFP, and I am restarting met. again, just subbing this thread for advice